It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Letter to the World on the Governmental Destruction of the Environment in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Source< br />

Dear Everyone, My name is Naomi. I am Canadian. I worked for Environment Canada, our federal environmental department, for several years before our current Conservative leadership (under Stephen Harper) began decimating environmentalism in Canada. I, along with thousands and thousands of federal science employees lost any hope of future work. Their attitude towards the environment is ‘screw research that contradicts the economic growth, particularly of the oil sands’. They have openly and officially denigrated anyone that supports the environment and opposes big-money oil profit as ‘radicals’ (/7wwf8dp).

Every day in Canada, new information about their vendetta on science and the environment becomes quietly public and keeps piling up. I have been privy to much first-hand information still because I retain friendships with my ex-colleagues (though my blood pressure hates me for it). While I was working there, scientists were effectively muzzled from speaking to the media without prior confirmation with Harper’s media team (/7bnsqp4) – usually denied, and when allowed, totally controlled. Scientists were threatened with job loss if they said anything in an interview that was not exactly what the media team had told them to say. This happened in 2008. The public didn’t find out for years.

I just saw this and thought I would share this with all of you.

This is powerful and needs to be shared.

This is what is happening so please read what an insider is saying.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

We need more whistle blowers, across the board, especially from the government. I'd love to have these clowns put me in court again so my gag order could be lifted, but I expect they are smarter than that. One of the real problems however is the media is so tightly controlled, even when a legitimate evidenced story comes along, the MSM is not allowed to report it, it becomes a matter of national security and the dirt balls at CSIS get involved. There should be something in the legislation that allows the forcing of a vote of non-confidence in the government by the people, not this representative mis-representation of groups of people in politically defined areas. I mean seriously, how hard is it to buy a politician? Last time I checked it was generally less than $50,000 per lobbyist, judges are even cheaper.

We need a change in government across the board and a major change in the way government operates. We are not land owners, we are stewards of this world and if the government allows the destruction of the things that give us life, we have nothing. The North American Indians believed that you cherished and maintained the land, that you thought ahead seven generations to keep the land healthy and you leave this world a better place. Even though we have advanced technology and I am guilty of developing and using it myself, I still believe the Native Americans have/had the right idea. Technology coupled with consideration is what we need, our "toys" and a social conscience. What we have is technology coupled with rampant corruption and greed.

Just a little fun-fact... Did you know that when the Native Americans controlled North America, anyone, any warrior that gathered more for himself than what he/she actually needed, who didn't share their bounty with the rest of the tribe was considered mentally ill. It appears the inmates have now been running the asylum for a while and they are taking us down with them.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/30.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Its funny that I see this as I started watching Prophets of Doom. You see this on here all the time, the debate between growth and sustainabilty. Every one wants a good job, bigger house, ect... At the same time we all would like to see a better stewartship in place for the planet. How do we strike this balance. We are 7 billion people now I think?

You see the post about all humans on the planet would fit into a ball 900 meters in diameter. ( personally dont buy that one ) But how much does it take to sustain each person? How much land for food? How many gallons of water? How do we replace the non renewables ( oils, metals, coal ) with substitutes that are not only equal, but much less intrusive to our planet. And does every one get this in equal amounts? Ahhh, There is the real question. Who gets what?

There are strides being made. Some for the better such as solar and wind power. Some for the worst such as GMO crops; which I know the companies peddle for profit but I would bet that many of the original people working on this had hoped to help feed the world.

Sadly, it all comes down to money. Corps. and the goverments we have appointed to watch them will turn a blind eye to nature over profit every time.

It will only change when we the people that have been left in the sewer come to the conclusion that clean air and water take precedence over x-box and idol.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by David134

But that's the thing. Why is money always chosen over sustainability?

I agree we need jobs and power, but, we need to start thinking about the future and the world our kids are going to inherit.

We are poisoning our land and water and anyone that cares is considered a quack. We need more people to stand up and say "a balance can be made."

Pred...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

So Canada is learning from the United States. The USA has been Sidestepping the environment if it interferes with big business for years. Small businesses have lots of regulations which big business does not have. Big business donates money to science so science won't challenge them. BP donated 500 million to Environmental research over the next five years, do you think that these scientists are going to go against their paycheck?
In five years there will be more grants available. People need to open their eyes. Science is not for conservation, lots of their funding is derived from big business.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Yup - this topic has already been discussed here before:

Science Journal to Feds: Stop Muzzling Scientists

But great find nonetheless! ...Always extremely insightful to hear it straight from an "insider"

The world is at a crossroads right now between the old plutocrats who have earned all their wealth (and power) by squeezing the planet dry of all its basic resources versus plain, simple reality.

There is just not enough out there to sustain us at this rate - but these people absolutely don't give a ****. They're getting crazy $$$$$ rich off of it - so their attitude is screw everyone and everything else on this planet as long as *I'm* getting paid.

As a result there is a massive propaganda war going on right now for public opinion. And it never ceases to amaze me how many regular people fall so easily for the propaganda over the reality.

"Environmentalism is just a crazy communist plot to destroy our economy and take our freedoms away waaaaaah"

If people are seriously dumb enough to fall for this lame nonsense then maybe they deserve what's coming.

It's just too bad the rest of us are going to go down with them.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
They are just about to open a new clean coal energy plant in saskatchewan using a new carbon capture system, it will be amazingly clean for a coal based system. Once they get these technologies up and running in the oil sands, that industry too will be quite clean. The up and coming technologies will be game changing for both coal and the oil sands. I'll try and post some links later.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I saw the news reports on the new carbon capture plant last night.

www.auma.ca...

The new clean-power plant is expected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by about one million tonnes a year—the equivalent of taking more than 250,000 vehicles off Saskatchewan roads each year.

The new Boundary Dam facility near Estevan will be built by SaskPower, the provincially owned utility. The current facility is SaskPower’s largest generating facility, with six units and a combined generating capacity of 823 megawatts.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
"Clean Coal" is an absolute farce. They are not reducing emissions - they are quite literally just trying to sweep them under the rug. The whole process is dangerous, expensive and energy intensive. It's all just a BS PR move.

We have plenty enough viable alternatives in renewable energy to completely wipe out all fossil fuels in the near future - the only thing stopping it from happening is the establishment, which has made all their money selling non-renewables to you and me. They make way more money controlling finite resources that we have to depend on them for, than they ever would on things like the sun and the wind.

top topics

join