It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear weapons - are you for or against?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This weapon is designed to kill to overawe.
It is the best umbrella for a country
If the US army do not hold the nuclear weapon,how can you survieve till now?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Personally, I am in favor of limited nuclear weapon stockpiles. I am also in favor of the practice of Mutually Assured Destruction. China is our biggest worry, as far as major nations go, and unless we start gaurding our borders and tightening the laws and procedures governing immigration, a low yield nuke is going to end up in one of our American cities. When that happens, I hope we turn the Middle East into a glass sheet. I've had enough of trying to fight a war in a politically correct way. It ain't working, and we should turn our troops loose to do what has to be done to win. Civilian casualties be damned, we have to win. If it means a city or two must be destroyed in nuclear fire, so be it.

Overwhelming force is needed to take the hope of victory away from the enemy. If nuclear fire is the only way to convince them, so be it.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
against

nuclear weapons are only good at killing civilians

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I agree with Darkside. The only way nukes can defend us is by killing innocent civillians.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
People. People, please... This question is pointless. It doesn't matter if you are for or against Nukes. We got em. We're gonna keep em, and we may very well use them again at some point.

Never in human history have we ever managed to put anything back into the Pandora's Box of Technological Invention, once it has seen the light of day. Nukes will be no different. For better or worse, nuclear technology is now part of our reality. Better get used to it, becuase you sure can't make it go away.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX
No. Nuclear plants don't pollute enviroment. The only problem is the duty to keep the reactor safe at all times; failure to keep the coolant system running perfectly will result in catastrophes like Chernobyl.

Let's not kid ourselves on this one:

www.fi.edu...

The fission nuclear power plants that are already in use have produced thousands of tons of radioactive waste that are sitting in drums waiting for disposal. This waste will be toxic for thousands of years and where to put it has become a gigantic technical and political problem.

The water from these cooling towers contains excess heat energy and is released into the local rivers or lakes. The warmer temperatures that are created allow organisms that would not normally thrive to grow and kill off some of the previous inhabitants.

And does anyone think that there aren't little accidents occurring all the time at these things?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
i HATE nukes, everyone things "we got the nukes, everyone scared" but there not, if one country sees a nuke go off they say "if thats thing hits us we are takeing our enemies with us" and then they launch nukes too, one nuke and every country in the world will be shooting off every thing they have nukes, a-bombs, hydragen bombs, bottle rocks, everything, thats why we will probably never resort to nukes.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
If nukes will be used there will be a nuclear war which means destruction of the world. If no one will use nukes anymore then they aren't needed so should not exist

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I absolutley despise nuclear weapons,the thought of one ever being used turns my stomach.
Ok,so there a fantastic deterent and some might say the power of actually having them in ones possesion prevents anyone else using them-this maybe so but if terrorists get there hands on them (although it wouldnt suprise me if they have already) im sure in time they,ll be used-i actually think its inevitble that theyll be used one day anyway.
No goverment needs nukes-granted the atom bombs used in ww2 did stop the war in the pacific but its the ultimate use of the deadliest force,once used theres no return from the ensuing misery and death,there an unforgiveble invention.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Use of nukes pollutes the enviromenton large areas for a long time
IAEA should just make the UN to declare a resolution prohibiting use of nukes
This wouldn't do much but it would be something

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Mandatory simpons quote (from memory may not be totally accurate)
Lisa - sees "nuke the whales" poster on wall
"do you really believe we should nuke whales!?"
Nelson "Gotta nuke something"
Lisa - "well can't argue with that logic"

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well if that was on the Simpsons it must be true. Lets all nuke stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
unfortunately,nukes are only the beginninc,soon antimatter weapons will exist,and nukes will look like blowpipes compared to them

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Nukes arev useful for deterrence. They kept the Cold War cold and they can help keep our standoffs with China and North Korea cold also. So we should keep them but not in abundance as we have in the past.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I agree, Nuclear Weapons help to keep stability in the world & keep the likes of China and N. Korea quiet.

During the cold war as others have said, they were very helpful with keeping a balance between east and west, providing a Dangerous peace

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Kenshin]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Of course, nukes also give us the tools to keep Americans quiet on our front for about 40 years now. Poor iraqis don't have nukes and that's why they are being phucked by the americans.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I dont think the americans really have the nuts to attack anyone thats nuclear. You will never ever see them attack N. Korea unless they are either attacked first or they dont have any nuke program anymore. The best buddies with Pakistan could be another example, after 9/11 which country would you rather wanna be against? The nuclear country or a few RPG's in a cave?

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm with darkside on this one

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I agree with Ambient (plus, Escher is my favorite artsit), nukes are not going away.

No matter how against them you might be, there is no way around the fact that the science and technology surrounding nuclear warfare is monumental. We're playing God with numbers and formulas, we're rearranging the very substance that creates us into a form that will destroy us. It is genius. How often is emotion evoked in you whenever someone discusses an equation as it does with nuclear weapons? That's all they are, equations.

The product of the equation just happens to be a number coated in the blood of human life.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I am 100% against nuclear (and chemical for that matter) weapons.

Any weapon that so indiscriminatly kills innocents is nothing but the evils of man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join