It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactivity In Tuna Caught Near California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Pacific Bluefin tuna caught off the coast of California have been found to have radioactive contamination from last year's Fukushima nuclear accident. The fish would have picked up the pollution while swimming in Japanese waters, before then moving to the far side of the ocean. Scientists stress that the fish are still perfectly safe to eat. However, the case does illustrate how migratory species can carry pollution over vast distances, they say. "It's a lesson to us in how interconnected eco-regions can be, even when they may be separated by thousands of miles," Nicholas Fisher, a professor of marine sciences at Stony Brook University, New York, told BBC News.

You can read the source If you want, It's not that interesting apart from a few points:

Scientists stress that the fish are still perfectly safe to eat.

What the hell? No thanks scientists I would rather not eat Tuna which contains radiation even if it's in the "legal limits" or whatever.

Why don't they make the scientists eat the tuna themselves for years to see if it's perfectly safe?

Another point is:

Caesium-137 is present in seawater anyway as a result of the fallout from atomic weapons testing, but the short, two-year half-life of caesium-134 means the contamination can be tied directly to Fukushima. There is no other explanation for the isotope's presence.

Oh great so everything I've eat from the ocean has been infected if you like, with fall out from atomic weapons. Thats great, really good to know.

So the entire ocean is apparently affected with fallout to some degree due to tests, Chernobyl will be unable to be inhabited safely for 20,000 years scientists estimate and we have fish being poisoned with more waste from ANOTHER disaster. Yet we still build Nuclear factories and such. Human stupidity and greed blows my mind.

And we wonder why cancer is so common?

I have an exam in less than an hour but I just felt like i really needed to make this post haha.

But yeah, if you live in California don't eat the fish!

Source

Mod Note: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS - Please Review This Link.
edit on 29/5/12 by argentus because: added link to source

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
No more Tuna for me then.

Strangely enough I have been reading the country of origin labels on my food as of late, and you would not believe the amount of seafood that is fished in the Japanese waters that makes it to our shelf's.

I think they should start banning all export from Japan ASAP as they are spreading this around the globe.

But You can not trace the origin of cancer can you.
edit on 29-5-2012 by judus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Well I've stopped eating tuna after finding out that the tuna sold here which is skip jack is caught in the Western Pacific, even if it is safe to eat a can i still don't want to risk having a build up of radiation.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Love how the scientists are saying , well its all radiated but nothing to see here. What the heck...i dont wanna eat radiation! I think its just gonna get so bad no ones gonna be able to keep from eating food that has radiation in it. what can we do really? We still have to eat something.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'mm 99.99% sure any attempt to educate anyone is going to be a waste of time, but just in case it's not I suggest doing some reading and trying to understand that we are already exposed to naturally occurring ionising radiation by elements around us and already present in our bodies.

rerowland.com...

www.physics.isu.edu...

Most people's beliefs, here particularly, about radiation are about as realistic as thinking that exposure to gamma rays will turn you into a big green monster when you're angry..

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Would you eat fish from Japanese waters ?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I read this on the bbc news ticker then turned to CNNtagon news and they "mentioned" that radiation had been found in bluefin tuna LAST August - SMALL traces - which is a total oxymoron to me. How can it be so small if this is being blasted across the world and it has reached the sea life dwelling off the coast of the US in how many metric tons of water? (OH and found in a school of tuna from a 6k mile migration....call me crazy but I think that is a big area. Small caparable to the remainder of the pacifc, yes.) They are ensuring that the use of the adjective small is emphasized...why mention it at all if it is so minute? Especially since we are subjected to gamma rays/other forms of radon in various entities that surround our lives today.

I have read threads from several ppl that offer more intelligent insight on the subject regarding "our daily doses," and I find it eerie that they are dumbing down this breaking news. I quite positive we are all going to learn that we are now getting a signifigant LOAD of radiation because of TEMPCO lies. The truth is far from our reality.

ETA::: Talking head on cnn says the fish probably had about 40-50% higher levels than what we consider safe but as of the "life" of the isotopes currently would stand at about 3% - he is the scientist that discovered the small "not - to - worry - news." When asked if he would eat it .... he hesitated and said well uhh I would probably eat it but those who are expecting and children should not. UHM?
edit on 29-5-2012 by mcsandy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
I'mm 99.99% sure any attempt to educate anyone is going to be a waste of time, but just in case it's not I suggest doing some reading and trying to understand that we are already exposed to naturally occurring ionising radiation by elements around us and already present in our bodies.

rerowland.com...

www.physics.isu.edu...

Most people's beliefs, here particularly, about radiation are about as realistic as thinking that exposure to gamma rays will turn you into a big green monster when you're angry..

Yes I know everyone on earth is exposed to radiation throughout their daily lives and such, but it doesn't mean I want to eat radiated fish.

I agree with the poster above about banning japanese imports until we can find a way to contain and sort this mess out.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
You think that Tuna is bad?

If you want to keep yourself from eating any radiation, you should stay away from the Bananas.....

Seriously....

Radioactive Bananas!!!

Check the link, your thoughts about bananas will be changed, that's for sure....

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Your not REALLY surprised are you? How about the fresh Ahi for Sushi flown in from Hawaii? You think the fish that have been swimming with the wreckage nibbling on the garbage aren't contaminated?

So the Gulf is destroyed. I saw the 3 eyed/no eyed shrimp with my own eyes! And it wasn't just one. It was a bunch. BP paid off at what cost to the industry? That whole scenario was and still is open to suspect.

Here's what I want.

I want whaever test they used to test the fish for radiactivity to be done in waters off Alaskan Coast, Washingtom/Oregon Coast, Northern California and Southern Calirfornia. And I want those test results every fricking month.

Same Test..different waters..every month.

Who do we call?

And who do we hold accountable? Japanese Government?

Are we now limited to farm fish only?

THIS is some serious chit. I WANT these reports. While we're at it, shouldn't we get water certification location on where the fish are caught from? Who's word are we taking here?

"Errrrrrrrr It's ok to eat until contamination levels reach X. Errrrrr We meant X1. Oops...New studies meant x1 is REALLY bad, so you've been eating too high a level. " STOP.

Gee. Thanks.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I pointed the news story that was on "Good Morning America" (that crapfeast of idiocracy personally irritates me but, my wife watches it)
They had a snippet on about the tuna having 10 times, 10 TIMES!, the average level of radioactivity. What surprised me was the statement of how it was considered not to be harmful to humans.
I asked my wife if she heard what they said. She said she "didnt care" SHE DIDNT CARE! and would not discuss it with me.
I have heard of the effects of brainwashing and propaganda from watching these MSM shows, or any TV for that matter.
Since I have stopped being glued to FOX, MSNBC and for that matter all TV I'm seeing the results first hand
My wife is an intelligent person too.
I'm concerned about this development

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

I am greatly concerned about this as well, tell someone your concerned about Fukishima outside of ATS circles and you get a look of "what? why?"

My wife has friends in japan and when I told her she should probably mention how bad some people think it is, both her and her friends in japan where unconcerned...

I am thinking about postponing indefinitely a trip to Hawaii because of this.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
OMG.....When I think about how much I have eaten....uggggh

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

Well, I certainly wouldn't make a big deal about Fukushima, considering if the government thought it was a severe threat, they would have done something by now.

People here just want something to whine about, and Fukushima is pretty convenient. Why would the government kill off its main source of income? We the people are the main import/export of America.

Considering it's either radiation or pesticides, your gesture of "oh hell no" is a catch-22. Are you going to refrain from eating ANYTHING in America? Because everything in America, unless organic, is chock full of chemicals.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That proves that we're making a mountain out of an anthill.

If the people actually living in Japan aren't worried, whereas many of those who have never even been to Japan are wailing about the radioactivity...

Well, who would you rely on more? The guy who has driven the car, or the one who has only seen pictures?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by judus

Well, I certainly wouldn't make a big deal about Fukushima, considering if the government thought it was a severe threat, they would have done something by now.

People here just want something to whine about, and Fukushima is pretty convenient. Why would the government kill off its main source of income? We the people are the main import/export of America.

Considering it's either radiation or pesticides, your gesture of "oh hell no" is a catch-22. Are you going to refrain from eating ANYTHING in America? Because everything in America, unless organic, is chock full of chemicals.

I know what you mean mate, but lets face it, if the radiaton has spread across the northern hemisphere then I think it's cause for concern!

And the Japanese people are probably been kept in the dark about it as well. I don't believe there is any government in the world which would publicly reveal details about a power plant thats one earthquake away from wiping us out.

Also those 6 workers who died and have "Offically" been ruled out of death due to Fukushima... Now I aint no Sherlock Holmes, but my ATS mind tells me that if 6 people who ALL worked in one place die within a short space of time it's linked.

But hey, I'm not expert, I could be talking as much crap as those nice Nigerian princes who offer me money.
edit on 29/5/12 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

A graph I encountered a couple of months ago shows that the eastern third of America (where I live) is outside of direct radioactive influence from Fukushima.

Taking the graph in the other direction, the western half of asia, along with most of the Middle East and neighboring countires, should aslo remain largely uneffected besides the products they import from Japan.

But how can we know the reports of radioactive concerns from Japan aren't unbiased?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

rerowland.com...

www.physics.isu.edu...

It is much worse to ingest radioactive isotopes compared to being exposed externally.
Simple fact is that people will die as a result from this.
And just because we are already exposed does not mean it is a good idea to be exposed to ever increasing levels of radiation.
Also some new study now have found that chronic exposure to LOW LEVELS that are BELOW THE LIMITS seems to actually increase cancer rates as well.
edit on 29-5-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Just to be the Devil's Advocate (a position I have found is highly suited to my talents) I'd like to offer the view of how this is benefitting humanity...

There's too many people on earth. Someone blows up the nuclear reactor and kills a few thousand. They learn from their mistake, and there's no longer a threat of overpopulation in Japan.

Side effects: people in America die from radiation by eating radioactive products from Asia. America is no longer threatened by the possibility of over-stupidity.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by judus

Yes thanks, I wouldn't be surprised if the tuna I used to make sashimi at the weekend came from that area. I don't know because I don't care because in the grand scheme of things, this specific thing is not really an issue.

<<   2 >>

join