It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mount St. Helens Erupts; Magma Eruption Expected

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thursday, 10/7: At approximately 12:30pm PST on Thursday, Mount St. Helens began spewing smoke and ash, emitting a darker cloud than previous steam eruptions. Studies show that the dome has bulged another 50-100 feet, bringing the total uplift to an estimated 250 feet. Decreased seismic readings indicate that magma may now be moving unhampered. Mount St. Helens still remains at a "volcano advisory."
This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Wednesday, 10/6: The alert level at Mount St. Helens has been downgraded from a 3 to a 2. Scientists now believe that there is more time before a magmatic eruption occurs and are no longer classifying the threat as "imminent." Seismic and volcanic activity have slowed down beneath the mountain, and emissions studies indicate that there may be weeks or months of small-scale venting ahead.

Tuesday, 10/5: Another large steam and ash eruption took place as of approximately 9am PST. The material is coming from several different vents, which leads scientists to believe that there is further deterioration of the lava dome. An estimated 20% of the dome has been deformed by intruding magma, and the total dome swelling is approaching 150 feet. While there is no way to be certain, USGS scientists have stated that the "big" eruption is likely within days.

Monday, 10/4: The lava dome in the center of Mount St. Helens' volcanic crater has been determined to have bulged between 50-100 feet, indicating an increase in pressure below the surface. USGS scientists describe "intense deformation" of the dome, and "intense cracking." They have determined that magma appears to be very close to or at the surface today. A 90-minute harmonic tremor ocurred overnight, and seismic activity continues with quakes ocurring at the rate of several per minute; many are of magnitude 3 or higher. Another large steam and ash eruption has taken place as of approximately 9:45am PST, with the plume reaching an estimated 10,000 feet.

Sunday, 10/3: Volcanic (CO2) gas has been detected exiting the ground. This is commonly a precursor to a magmatic eruption, however weather conditions are preventing scientists from thoroughly studying the gas. A crack has been noted on the lava dome which is emitting steam. Additional harmonic tremors were detected today, which indicates the rising of magma towards the surface. As of 12:30pm EST, the area remains at level 3 for volcanic activity, which means an eruption is imminent or ocurring.
On Saturday, the USGS issued a statement that, based on harmonic seismic tremors below the volcano, a magmatic eruption of Mount St. Helens is imminent. Seismographs indicate that magma is currently moving towards the surface.

Saturday, 10/1: Mount St. Helens in Washington state erupted as of approximately 12 noon PST on Friday, Oct 1. The initial plume exploded from the northwest side of the volcano, initially consisting of mostly white steam but within minutes mixed with rolling clouds of black ash. The plume shot an estimated 15,000 feet into the air. A second plume appeared a few moments later. Scientists have stated they believe this eruption will get larger. This was a minor eruption and did not cause any damage. As of approximately 12:40pm PST, the plumes slowed considerably and the clouds dissipated. A second steam eruption occured Saturday afternoon.

As of 4:25pm EST Saturday, personnel within 4-5 miles of the volcano are being evacuated. Several seismic events a minute are occuring under Mount St. Helens today after some relative quiet post-eruption Friday.

In a press conference, government seismologists said on Saturday that they had greatly underestimated the threat of a major eruption.

A live webcam of the volcano is available here. It is intermittently viewable due to heavy traffic at this time.

Currently no lava is visible. At this time, these are steam and ash eruption only.

USGS scientists have stated that the likelihood of an eruption similar to the 1980 event is relatively low due to the dome damage caused by that eruption. In 1980, approximately 1,000 feet on the north side of the mountain was blown apart, giving the volcano its lopsided appearance today.

Related ATSNN News Stories:
Movement of Lava Dome at Mt. St. Helens; New Sign of Possible Eruption
Mount St. Helens Quake Swarm; Warnings of Potential Volcanic Unrest

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm watching it right now. Trying to find a link.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
MSNBC just broke live to the volcano.....

Watching the TV a plume is rising, the FAA may close the area to airtraffic. the winds are to the NW.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I wonder how large it will get. I was just posting the same story and saw yours. Its starting to pick up a bit as we are watching.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A small explosion just happened.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Fox News is saying that it's venting steam

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Live webcam:
www.fs.fed.us...

It's down right now, may be up later.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
October 1.

Full of suprises!

Did anyone have a prediction on this one?

Oh wait, FOX NEWS is down playing the explosion. Hmmm, why does that sound familiar?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It's getting more than steam right now. You can see ash now.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It's a steam eruption, not a lava eruption (according to several sites). News ink:
www.theindychannel.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
October 1.
Oh wait, FOX NEWS is down playing the explosion. Hmmm, why does that sound familiar?

Oh for Christ sake Rant Fox's volcano coverage is non partisan

That being said, I fully expect a press release from the Kerry campaign stating that while he voted for eruptions in the past based on the intel he recieved, he now is firmly against volcano eruptions

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
CNN is saying is might be stopping. I don't think it's gonnastop soon. Don't know if it's gonna gert big yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Good luck getting through to the volcano cam. Maybe this will keep you happy until it's up again.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You can watch it live on cnn.com. Link on the main page.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A rep from the FAA said the plume reached 15000 feet and they are restricting trafic below 16000 feet at this time.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Another earthquake could cause it to erupt more. CNN keeps repeating it isn't gonn be as bad as 1980.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Just reached the webcam, and it looks like the smoke plume has thinned out considerably. Of course, things can change pretty quickly.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
i had that live cam on all day, of course the eruption had to happen as soon as I left the house
knowing that everyone is warned and there wasn't any immediate danger to human life, i found the prospect of seeing a volcano erupt exciting. too bad i missed it live.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It is still erupting. Looks liek there is more smoke now. Than before.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
i had that live cam on all day, of course the eruption had to happen as soon as I left the house

This is when you left?

This is when you came back?

Know how you feel...

[edit on 2004/10/3 by Hellmutt]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join