It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: 'Fat Tax' Could Curb Nation's Obesity Problem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

you forgot one.....

you will eat your daily rations of fake food with joy!!!

the same crap that makes cigarettes so "dangerous" can be found in so many other sources but ignored!!
the crap that they put in our food is just as ignored!!

god, we ate all kinds of goodies when we were kids, and our parents smoked where they liked, and there was far less asthma, far less obesity!!!

it's the crap in the food!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

god, we ate all kinds of goodies when we were kids, and our parents smoked where they liked, and there was far less asthma, far less obesity!

That is an awesome point

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by adigregorio

The thing is that in the UK, obese people get treated for free on the NHS, even if their poor diet is the cause, or a contributory factor, to their illness.

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Then yeah, you would have some say (In my opinion) Since you are essentially paying for their health costs...

I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but I'm sure that seriously overweight people must cost the taxpayer in some form over there.

Other than raising my insurance premiums, not much.

I am sure they factor into other costs, bench repair, etc... But it is nothing like paying for 100% of their health costs!!

I was under the impression this was a US story, Indianapolis and all...Not that the UK is wrong or anything, they just have a Queen and a different form of control---er government.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
Wait till it is your turn, guess who will be laughing at your anger. Me!

Relax. I'm not particularly angry.

The ''don't push your morality on me'' argument always backfires, because unless you want to live in a world of anarchic nihilism, then you are also ''pushing your morality'' on everyone else. (In fact, one could argue that even a forced state of anarchy and amorality is pushing ''morality'' on to to others - but that is probably more of a philosophical point.)

What people really mean when they say this, is ''don't force your morals onto me, but accept my morals unquestioningly.''

edit on 18-5-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The majority of obese people in my family is due to one thing IMHO, we are just flat lazy and do very little exercise.

We drive to the store around the corner, sit in the ac all day when its hot, snack all day while we chat, surf, watch, play etc.. with all these modern gadgets.

Life is good in the USA.

Tax away, it won't do no good.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I wonder if it has anything to do with sitting in front of Facebook for 12 hours a day?

Agree with that post.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This action is likely due to lobbyist for health insurance companies who are trying to reduce costs/avoid having to pay for costs associated with the treatment of diabetes Type II, and the cost of heart surgeries.

I promise you it's nothing to do with giving a crap. It's about money.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Imposing a "fat tax" will only contribute to governments growing obesity problem. Never have I seen such a fat lazy beast as government, and it is a pet that has eaten me out of house and home.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
How about they just tax the obese? $10 for each pound over the person's ideal weight.
AND manditory attendance to classes on nutrition.

Now see this..MSG and Obesity:
www.msgtruth.org...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Food fascism in the Nanny State at it's best. Seems like it has increased since a certain First Lady came to the WH.
Thanks for posting
To think, the Revolutionary War was fought over way fewer taxes than what we have today.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

The ''don't push your morality on me'' argument always backfires, because unless you want to live in a world of anarchic nihilism, then you are also ''pushing your morality'' on everyone else.

Yes I realize that by telling you to "leave me alone" I am forcing you to "leave me alone". (Not sarcasm, for the sake of semantics we will assume "telling = forcing" )

However, this is a faulty position. Assuming that there is only one outcome to leaving others alone.

(In fact, one could argue that even a forced state of anarchy and amorality is pushing ''morality'' on to to others - but that is probably more of a philosophical point.)

Strawmen burn so well, because they are made of straw. As I pointed out, more than one outcome. Folks that want their morals followed, can't accept this though. Because, if we don't live like them, we are "wrong". (See?)

What people really mean when they say this, is ''don't force your morals onto me, but accept my morals unquestioningly.''

Are you serious?

By asking you to leave me the @(!& alone, I am forcing morals onto you? Well pot, you started this fight. If you hadn't tried to push your moral code onto me FIRST, I would not reciprocate by telling you to @)!* off, and leave me alone.

You are a human, like the rest of us. You don't have a "cheat book" to life, and therefore have no right to tell me how to live mine. Of course, that's why the UK is full of CCTV cameras, and why the US left them in the first place.

Wait till it is your turn, your tune WILL change then. It ALWAYS does.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I think this taxing is almost a form of food rationing, by increasing the cost of food over the cost of production, but I bet actual rationing is next.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

they would be doing something with the aim of "helping" a group of people, unfortunately, it would be harming another group. typical societal bull! you can't have cookie cutter laws when people are definately aren't cut from the same cookie cutter.
"cheese, potatoes, yoghurt, etc."

I'm pretty sure that potatoes don't have the same amount of cacium as a glass of chocolate milk, wonder how many potatoes I would have to eat to get the same amount. your solution could concievably make me fat!!

cheese probably does, and I do eat that also...

yogart you ain't gonna get me to eat, sorry.....

to put it plain and simply, there is no basis to penalize me for drinking the chocolate milk. there is nothing wrong with chocolate milk. the only justification that can be given me is that it might cause this other person to change a habit (probably switch from drinking chocolate milk to drinking coke and rum!!) and be healthier, thus, saving you money, via the healthcare system. which wouldn't be a problem if the healthcare system was like so many other industries and be confined to charging a reasonable amount for their services so people don't have to rely on you to help out with their healthcare!!!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

A new study suggests that imposing a fat tax on unhealthy food and drinks could help slim down.

They might as well impose a fat tax because there in all ready a under the table tax on diabetic food.

i have been on a diabetic diet for 12 years now and i could easily buy food for 1/3 less but i would start gaining weight because i am disabled and can not exercise to keep weight down due to autoimmune disorders cause by my days as a vol firefighter/EMT.
i have sarcoidosis and a number of neurological disorders caused by the autoimmune attack on my nervous system .

In the United States, a higher percentage of cases of sarcoidosis have been reported in health care workers, naval aircraft servicemen, and firefighters.

my.clevelandclinic.org...

I am a navy veteran, a ex health care worker(EMT), and a ex vol firefighter.

The biggest single product in food that causes obesity is high fructose corn syrup.
Its hidden in foods of all types and i have found it even in processed meats.

Another problem is miss labeled foods i have found whole wheat breads that are mostly bleached white flour
whole wheat =good for diabetics / bleached white flour = bad for diabetics.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sure, let's make unhealthy snack foods, load them with sweetners and addictive chemicals, then let's make them even more addictive and unhealthy with cheap high-fructose corn syrup. Now let's tax the hell out of it and blame the people it is marketed to for having no self-discipline. This is the American way.

en.wikipedia.org...

The term "high fructose corn syrup" was developed to distinguish it from all-glucose corn syrups that existed in the past, and does not accurately describe the composition of the syrup (which is composed of a mixture of 42-55% fructose, 41-45% glucose and 0-5% glucose polymers depending on the specific blend). Several factors have been cited as increasing concern over the health effects of HFCS. In the 1980s it replaced sucrose as the main sweetener of soft drinks. Rates of obesity subsequently rose, paralleling an increase in the consumption of soft drinks in general. In addition, laboratory research suggested a link between consuming large amounts of fructose and various proxy health measures including elevated blood triglycerides, size and type of low-density lipoproteins and uric acid levels.

I don't suppose the prices on these unhealthy ingredients and additives can be jacked up BEFORE the manufacturers can use them to make cheap addictive products, no? Or just ban them for health reasons altogether? No, that's un-American and interfering with private enterprise.

I can go downtown and point out any number of candy bar machines or store counters that sell these foods talked about in the OP. Can you point me to a place to pick up some packaged carrot and celery sticks to snack on? A machine that vends fresh carrot juice, or fresh orange even? There may be some but a rarity if they can be found.

It sounds like another way of picking pockets than remedying a societal problem with these taxes.

edit on 18-5-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's fairly simple....HFCS + over abundance of processed food + sedentary llifestyle...

Equals rise in obesity, being overweight and Type 2 diabetes explosion.

People these days sit in front of their computer or play video games for hours on end while munching their junk food.
edit on 18-5-2012 by bg_socalif because: fat fingers

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Report: 'Fat Tax' Could Curb Nation's Obesity Problem

INDIANAPOLIS -- Health experts have been trying to combat obesity in America for years and have recently suggested a new way to solve the growing problem. A new study suggests that imposing a fat tax on unhealthy food and drinks could help slim down

www.theindychannel.com...

Rather tired of Government officials trying to play God nay I am effin fed up with it for the pun.

If you can smoke it
If you can drive it
If you can build it
If you can read it
If you and eat it

You will be taxed on it.

Let's give around of applause to those that "claim" they are looking out for you.!!!!

So much for personal responsibility never mind you don't have to think Government will tell you what to think, how to act, and what you can or can't put in your own body.

Blah

That Kris Kristy republican fat ass would pay the highest taxes, he is grossly obese

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I can see it now... the streets teaming with obese people protesting this... after a breakfast of bacon eggs and gravy they start their protest... short break for brunch an hour or two later.... Then they march once more.... straight to mcdonalds... after lunch they take to the streets once more on their little scooters and set up their lawn chairs... They hold signs and snack on chips and little debbies. drinking two liter cola's... by dinner they are pooped and go to the golden coral... Total protest time. 3 or four hours

I'm sick of taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Im sick of them justifying them by pointing out subsets of people and taking their money because they have people that think they are better than said subset and would rather a smoker/drinker/fatty etc take the tax.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Alcohol was a problem tax it
Cigarettes was a problem so tax it
Global Warming is a problem so tax it.

Guess what?

Any of those problems ever gone away?

Nope.

That is why they taxed them.
Tax is in it for the long term, they do not want you to ever give it up.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Listen, Sherlock, everybody's tastebuds are different. Some tend towards carbs, others fat.

We don't all necessarily enjoy fruits and vegetables. It's the way we're put together as individuals.

Don't be so judgmental.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join