It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: 'Fat Tax' Could Curb Nation's Obesity Problem

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Here in Calif they are pushing prop 29 another tax on cigarettes.

But i will bet that they divert the money to the state coffers to balance the budget instead of cancer research and call it a loan to the state that they may not ever pay back
The state has already been stealing money from counties and cities till there is none left

The real joke is every time they raise the tax on cigarettes in Calif the native Americans in Nevada get richer. You go to the Indian smoke shops in Reno NV and the parking lots are full of cars with Calif plates and people from Calif are buying cigarettes by the case and some are reselling to "friends" in Calif.(butt running)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Personally I do. Thats probably because I eat healthy and can not stand how unhealthy the general public is. It really pisses me off to see how lazy the average person has become. Anything that makes people healthier and in better shape, I am all for. Maybe once people loose weight and eat right, they will be more inclined to ride a bicycle and get ride of their gas guzzling automobiles.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
...Taxing fixes everything apparently.

There should be a tax on the government for putting taxes on the people! Which in turn would give us a high tax return ??

Something like that...to ensure taxing doesn't get out of control, which it already has.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

To be perfectly honest, sir or madam, there are probably more than one thing that meets this description. I would go so far as to guess there may be several dozen things that meet this criteria.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Guess what, the same thing has been proposed in the uk. Was all over tv yesterday. So looks like this IS going to happen and we've just been given the heads up. This will keep happening untill these greedy bastards are removed from power. How long will it be before everyone has had enough. We need judges, police, soldiers, civil servants to say "NO MORE" and stop protecting TPTB.as these are the people they rely on for protection. When this barrier is broken down they will have No POWER. If you know any of these "servants" help them see, they know not what they do.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 1plusXisto7billion

well gee, I would really get into walking to work, more than likely I would on most of the nice days, but well
ya see, although there is all this griping about my health costing other people money, well.....
it's not costing people crap if the medical treatment that is need is not accessible due to cost! and thus, a not so major problem with my feet turned into a major problem, and now I do good just to get through the day at work.

so ya see...
I don't see where anyone one, or any government, has the right to say what is good for me, what isn't.

I keep bringing up chocolate milk, because that was one of the things that was raised up as a possible item to be taxed in a law that was considered somewhere in the states.

I am not overweight, but I do have reasons to believe that calcium might be a very important item in my diet....
so, just why should I be paying more tax for this choice???

edit on 20-5-2012 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The problem is unhealthy foods are the cheapest.

Most people in the UK can't afford to eat healthily.

This tax will make the already poor go hungry (while still eating unhealthy food) it makes no sense.

The tax will not push people into eating healthier because it costs so much, so the solution they will go for is to just buy less of the unhealthy foods.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Right, so you're trying to tell me that a steak house or other restaurant that has some real food without all the trans-fats are just as bad as fast food places like McDonald's with their deep fried fries, burgers made with MUK etc?

Sorry, but no dice. And I'm just using McDonald's as an example. But the same can be said for a plethora of other fast food places as well as other restaurants. Nothing will beat a real, home cooked meal. And I'm not talking about hot dogs with mac and cheese! But healthier foods and of course, moderation. And that's the point you're missing in my previous statements.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
An even better solution: businesses will charge 'overweight' people for two seats on planes, thus presenting the consumer with the decision to lose weight or they will pay more for their services.

Imagine that, a mechanism that requires no government or guns pointed at anyone! The solution to problems being government is such a morally bankrupt world-view that it ought to be rejected on the same basis as Sam Harris' conversational intolerance concept.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by adigregorio

And I guess fat people don't smoke?

Sure they do!

If you read my post more carefully, you will notice I said how "The fat people that harrassed me" (Or something to that effect...)

99.9% of the time I have been hated on for smoking, the person was large.

I still say I am happy this is happening. As I pointed out earlier:

"First they came for the smokers, and I was handed to them because smoking is wrong

Next they came for the drinkers, and I was handed to them because drinking is wrong

Then they came for the free-thinkers, and I was handed to them because thinking is wrong

Now they are coming for you guys (largies), and I will be handing you to them."

Once everyone is handed over, maybe they will be mad enough to stop this silly behavior. Moral pushing only benifits those who make money off of pushed morals...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

I am just telling you an experience I have everytime I go into that particular steak house.
I actually sit there wondering if they get their beef from a supplier that od's their cattle with growth hormones or something.

and, I ate fried fish, fried french fries, homemade, hand cut potatoes, in lard. as a child... on a weekly basis...
none of us were that fat!!!

but, explain to me how you can see me drinking a serving or two of chocolate milk as being unhealthy?? because that was one of the items they wanted to tax in the legislation I was reading about...
mind you, that I don't like regular milk, and have health reasons for wanting as much NATURAL calcium as I can get!

ya, moderation is a big aspect of the whole thing. I'll admit, drinking a gallon of chocolate milk might possibly make me fat. but then, I have no desire to drink that much of it!! I mean, I have other nutritional needs and llimited space in my stomach, so I tend to eat a little of this and that, try to balance it out....
I would suggest that moderation would do a world of good for anyone, including those that eat at mc donanlds... or burger king, or whatever!!
by the way, if I do go to mc donalds and eat, it's usually just a cheeseburg and small fried, small soda.....

ya, I am sure that is gonna kill me, costing you or anyone else money in the process!!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm all for this. Fat people are a bloody cancer in society- in the town I'm in for now they're everywhere, spending their food stamps on hostess cakes and cola. They should have not only drug tests for public aid but maybe we need a health test too...

TRY A BANANA INSTEAD OF A CORN DOG.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Don't make it and I won't buy.....only makes sense to me.
Same thing with alcohol and cigarettes.

BUT, who is going to decide what foods to tax?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
unfortunately, the problem is healthy foods are much more expensive then garbage foods. I can go to the supermarket, buy a month's worth of healthy groceries and the next month buy garbage, and the healthy foods will cost up to 50% MORE

@adigregorio:
I'm a large guy AND a smoker, there a problem with that?>
edit on 5/21/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
@adigregorio:
I'm a large guy AND a smoker, there a problem with that?>
edit on 5/21/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

Again, I point to the reasoning behind my stance.

The majority of folks that harrased me for being a smoker, were overwieght (and not by a "few pounds")

So, you are large and you smoke. Would you harrass me for smoking?

(Then that answers your question, doesn't it...)

Again, I point out that I am only for this taxation because it is forcing more of my countrymen into a corner. A corner that I have occupied for a long time now... I figure once it gets crowded enough in here, the people will decide that morals should be left alone.

Until then, I will enjoy watching everyone who forced(es) their morals onto me; well I will enjoy watching them get the same treatment.

Remember, it's not: "When they came for me, no one spoke up." No, the real world doesn't work that way, THIS is how we roll: "When they came for me, I was handed away"

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join