It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procession101

Originally posted by HardToStarboard

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

i didn't condemn or judge anyone.the facts speak for themselves. this is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of creating new content not in the bible. Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship. it's like apples and oranges. The apple is clearly different than the orange so I am simply pointing out the differences. Mormonism is NOT Christianity.

Only in your opinion. In reality, they very much ARE Christians.

Mormons ARE Christian. In that their only savior is Jesus Christ.

I don't think the Christ portrayed in LDS is the one from the bible since LDS denies that Jesus was/is God. They also deny that He was eternal (denying John 1:1) and instead say that He was a created being just like man. That's an heretical statement according to the Catholic/Protestant/Anglo/Orthodox view. It also nullifies His propitiation for sin (i.e. - by denying He is both God and man the LDS church essentially renders the cross powerless).

I'm using the following link as reference. They, in turn, use the main LDS site as their reference (I just like the site because it gathers all religion facts into one nonpartisan location for easy reference and study).

www.religionfacts.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: Edited quote formst

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: (no reason given)

In the LDS religion God and Jesus Christ are two seperate entities. God is the father and Christ is the son. Jesus Christ is revered as highly in the Mormon church though as in any other Christian church I've been involved with.

It's not a question of reverencing Christ (many religions and philosophies do that). It's a question of separating Christ from his ultimately Divine nature - that is He is as much God as He is man, or as the creed states, "True God and true man." I spent 30+ years as a protestant and for the last 5 years studied the Catholic faith until such time as my wife and daughters and I entered the Church this year. So, I've looked at this in no small measure (although I don't claim to be an expert or theologian by any means). What I do know is this - if a religion denies that Christ was "true God and true man" then they are heretical to the Christian faith and thus not Christian. I have absolutely no problem nor qualm with the Mormon faith, but I wouldn't call them Christian.

Here's a reference from the catechism (as I don't like commenting without reference when I can do so):

old.usccb.org...

III. True God and True Man

The unique and altogether singular event of the Incarnation of the Son of God does not mean that Jesus Christ is part God and part man, nor does it imply that he is the result of a confused mixture of the divine and the human. He became truly man while remaining truly God. Jesus Christ is true God and true man. During the first centuries, the Church had to defend and clarify this truth of faith against the heresies that falsified it.

The first heresies denied not so much Christ's divinity as his true humanity (Gnostic Docetism). From apostolic times the Christian faith has insisted on the true incarnation of God's Son "come in the flesh."87 But already in the third century, the Church in a council at Antioch had to affirm against Paul of Samosata that Jesus Christ is Son of God by nature and not by adoption. The first ecumenical council of Nicaea in 325 confessed in its Creed that the Son of God is "begotten, not made, of the same substance (homoousios) as the Father," and condemned Arius, who had affirmed that the Son of God "came to be from things that were not" and that he was "from another substance" than that of the Father.88

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Snf for your bold- thread title. blunt and to the point lol.
I agree with your Title... Here are my threads :

Pagan and Occult Symbols in Mormonism: What Every Latter-day Saint Should Know
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mormon's Belief and Practice of Wearing Protective (Magical) Underwear: What!?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HardToStarboard

From the passages you posted I totally understand your beliefs now. I've always figured Mormons to be Christian due to their worship of Jesus Christ and The Heavenly Father. The Book Of Mormon also talks quite a bit about Christ and his passage to the Americas if I remember correctly. The way I was always taught to think of Christ in my tenure as a LDS member was to look to him as our savior and also kind of a big brother and to also pray to him as much as I can. In my opinion that makes their teachings very Christian.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Romney is just a WESTERN version of the typical religious fanatic of the world like those that we see over in the middle-east who are CONSTANTLY fighting over NONSENSE.

Same type of DELUSIONAL fairy-tale believing superstitious NUT, but of a different FLAVOR and LOCATION on the planet.

We dont need these types of DANGEROUS NUTS in positions of power...

edit on 17-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Really? Where are all the reports and historical facts showing massive conquests by Mormons overthrowing other groups and murdering them? Are there any famous Mormon Mass Murderers? I don't know of any. It looks more like they're the most peaceful denomination of Christians out there.

A former mormon here.
You are asking about the Mountain Meadows massacer?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Even if you are one to think all religions are a cult, I do not think there is any denying that Mormonism tops the list...Or maybe Scientology...The reason I say this is because it is so recent. Religions that are thousands of years old lack people who were alive during those times to answer any questions that are put forth, along with the fact that detailed records were nowhere near as prevalent as they are now. Given that the Mormon faith originated at a time when many people were recording their thoughts and experiences on paper, we can scrutinize it more fully.

What the OP says about Smith being a known con-man or fraud is true, and is verifiable. The book that was supposedly given to him is in fact plagiarized from many different sources, and this again is objectively verifiable. There is no arguing with that point. One can say they believe him, but they are extremely gullible in my opinion. There is just many more reasons to doubt him than believe him. Also, some of the beliefs and doctrine do not parallel the beliefs and teachings of Christianity, or Jesus, which makes it a fabrication imo.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

From the passages you posted I totally understand your beliefs now. I've always figured Mormons to be Christian due to their worship of Jesus Christ and The Heavenly Father. The Book Of Mormon also talks quite a bit about Christ and his passage to the Americas if I remember correctly. The way I was always taught to think of Christ in my tenure as a LDS member was to look to him as our savior and also kind of a big brother and to also pray to him as much as I can. In my opinion that makes their teachings very Christian.

I would concede that their TEACHINGS may, in fact, be "very Christian." However, the fact that Jesus in Mormon teaching is not "true God and true man" but rather a created being negates any Mormon from truly professing to be a Christian.

That said, I could care less who we label as what. From my perspective the only question that matters is the one Jesus Himself posed in Mark 8 - "Who do men say that I am?"

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

The Mormon Church is a Cult

This isn't new news.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I would concede that their TEACHINGS may, in fact, be "very Christian." However, the fact that Jesus in Mormon teaching is not "true God and true man" but rather a created being negates any Mormon from truly professing to be a Christian.

That said, I could care less who we label as what. From my perspective the only question that matters is the one Jesus Himself posed in Mark 8 - "Who do men say that I am?"

Totally on board with you there Hardtostar, I was just stating my two cents on my interactions with the LDS organization. We might as well be talking about Zeus or Horus as far as I'm concerned though with me being a Atheist and all.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Totally on board with you there Hardtostar, I was just stating my two cents on my interactions with the LDS organization. We might as well be talking about Zeus or Horus as far as I'm concerned though with me being a Atheist and all.

Fair enough. Have a fine weekend, good sir. ;-)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Didnt read the replies yet.

But EVERY church/religion is a cult.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Greeting and Salutaions to those whom find this thread interesting at best. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was born and raised in this faith. But I also strayed from the church while in my teenage years, because I was well, a brain dead teenager. I got caught up in a CULT called The Way. Where alcohol and the promise of cute women being in the norm in this "church". The guys were real cool...untill they said we had to give up everything we had to become part of the church and get the gift of speaking in toungues. Then came Wicca and the belief of "white magik", while I do have the belief that we as humans do have a inate ability to create our own destinies through meditation and the power of our minds, its that gift from god that gives us our free will to make those choices. Now comes the really great part of my beliefs. Ancient Mesoamerican myths speak of light skinned people coming to thier lands and teaching them skills. Funny how the Book of Mormon corresponds to this belief. And if you have not invested in the time to read the book, dont make accusations to its content. Same with the Bible, Torah, or Quran. We can all learn from these books. Unless of course your one of those christians who are not very christain. So in retrospect to this entire thread and the OP's allegations...very absurd indeed!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Fair enough. Have a fine weekend, good sir. ;-)

You as well!
2nd line.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Have Mormons imposed their beliefs on anyone? Have they hurt or taken anyone against their will? Isn't it their prerogative to worship God any way they please as long as they don't infringe on anyone else's freedom? Why should we care what people believe in or what they choose to wear as long as they are happy and treat others with respect? Life is a personal journey towards the ''Light'', some people find it early in their life, others much later while others may never find it. Whether they do it through religion, science, having a family, giving up everything and dedicating their life to the less fortunate etc, that is up to them. Different paths may lead to the same goal. Cult or no cult, who cares...it's their life, their choice.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Dude - - YOUR guy was born of a virgin impregnated by God.

How insane and stupid that one myth decries another wrong.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
Religions that are thousands of years old lack people who were alive during those times to answer any questions that are put forth, along with the fact that detailed records were nowhere near as prevalent as they are now.

You mean like Christianity.

In the full scheme of beliefs. - - Christianity is a new religion.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus

What the OP says about Smith being a known con-man or fraud is true, and is verifiable. The book that was supposedly given to him is in fact plagiarized from many different sources, and this again is objectively verifiable.

I'd ask for proof and links.

But since accuracy in regards to Mormonism on the net - - - is almost non-existent. It would be as useless as the info itself.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
All of it is fairey tales. Mormon, Hebrew, Christian, Muslim, Buddist, Hindu's so many religions, only one make believe God. Each religion thinks there the right one for everybody. All of it should be washed away like the rain wash's the pollen off the cars.Religion is slavery, pure & simple.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This thread is a cult of personalities saying 1+1=3

Second.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou

Pagan and Occult Symbols in Mormonism:

What do you think the Cross is?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
What if i was to tell you none of it was real......99% of everything.
Science
History
Religion
Philosophy
and all the beliefs and thoughts associated with them

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join