It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jed001

Originally posted by thesungod
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

If you really want to bash Mormonism, bash them for not allowing Caffeine...

I'd die without Caffeine. Coke is delicious and coffee is my go juice.

caffeine is our friend, i knew i did not like those mormons for a reason

I'm mormon and I'm drinking caffeine right now. It's not caffeine mormons are not suppose to drink, it's coffee.

I read this entire thread and at least 90% of what's said about mormons in this thread is total BS.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Newsflash: Organized religion consists of cult institutions. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Mormonism, Scientology, and more are all cults.

Ah, life.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This whole misconception that mormon's are not christians baffles me.

How can a religion where Jesus is the central figure not be considered christian?

Honestly Mormonism is kinda strange and has it's quirks but to call it a cult or to say they aren't Christians is just silly.

Second of all the whole King James bible situation is really pretty simple. The Mormons use a plain unadulterated copy of the King James Bible as a central portion of their faith. It's not rewritten in any way (I've checked).

People that say these things are usually just hateful fearful little trolls.

As far as the Mormon's other books they are supposed to be a continuation of the Bible chronicling the experiences of a couple groups of people who sailed from the Middle East to the Americas. This might seem funny or odd to people but it's what they believe. These other books tell the story of Jesus visiting the Americas after his resurrection as well... Yet another reason why I laugh at those who say Mormons are not Christians.

Botom LIne: Is Mormonism kind of strange? Definitely
Are they Christians? Most Certainly
Do they marry multiple Women? ABsolutely Not
Do they marry underaged women? Absolutely Not

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thrustbucket

I'm mormon and I'm drinking caffeine right now. It's not caffeine mormons are not suppose to drink, it's coffee.

I read this entire thread and at least 90% of what's said about mormons in this thread is total BS.

How do you get your caffeine, if you please?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

I can't think of ANY other so called Christian faith that refuses NON members the ability to attend and worship.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Married a man who was raised Mormon -- so we tried it as a couple.

First thing I learned. Non-Mormons think they know everything about Mormons. They can ask you a question straight to your face. You give them the answer - - and they tell you you are wrong.You don't understand anything you are spouting.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

It's hillarious, I am now an atheist but I grew up raised in the LDS church and the amount of garbage I've heard spouted off about this religion is insane. Just like Annee mentioned, it would appear that non-members that have never had anything to do with the church seem to "know" the most about it. Pro Tip People: Not everything you read on the internet is true. Along the road I call life I've pretty much tried most "christian" churches/religions out there and all I have to say is they are all brain washing cults. At least while I was a Mormon not once do I remember them bashing any other christian based religion though. Shame on you people.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

i didn't condemn or judge anyone.the facts speak for themselves. this is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of creating new content not in the bible. Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship. it's like apples and oranges. The apple is clearly different than the orange so I am simply pointing out the differences. Mormonism is NOT Christianity.

Only in your opinion. In reality, they very much ARE Christians.

Mormons ARE Christian. In that their only savior is Jesus Christ.

I don't think the Christ portrayed in LDS is the one from the bible since LDS denies that Jesus was/is God. They also deny that He was eternal (denying John 1:1) and instead say that He was a created being just like man. That's an heretical statement according to the Catholic/Protestant/Anglo/Orthodox view. It also nullifies His propitiation for sin (i.e. - by denying He is both God and man the LDS church essentially renders the cross powerless).

I'm using the following link as reference. They, in turn, use the main LDS site as their reference (I just like the site because it gathers all religion facts into one nonpartisan location for easy reference and study).

www.religionfacts.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: Edited quote formst

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Did you watch the news last summer about Warren Jeffs, the former self styled "prophet" of the Church of Latter Day Saints? Do you really think that is an isolated incident?

That's a break away group from the main body. He's a sick pedophile. So are his break away followers. It would be totally unfair to say that the majority of Mormons are like that simply because there are people in that small break away group who are sickos.

That would be like saying most Catholic priests are pedophiles simply because less than 1/10 of 1% of priests were involved in the sex scandal. Oh wait ... you did say something like that.

As for catholic priests being pedos that less than 1-10 of 1% are just the ones who were caught by their victims coming foward, there's no telling how many more are still in hiding. Yeshua never said we could not marry and have wives, in fact he said that to those who could have wives it is a good thing. Not everyone is meant to have a wife, but there is nothing wrong with having them if we are able to.

I am not saying protestants are any better by any means, you can google and pop up the same sickness pervading protestant churches and any other church out there, humans are not perfect. I went to a church that was an Assembly of God as a kid and the preacher was removed for committing adultery...with his secretary. None of us are perfect but if these things are brough to light these people should be rendered over to the authorities and not protected by their churches.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm a photographer and a few years back I was doing a Mormon wedding. Easiest money I've ever made!

I took NO photos of the ceremony or any part of the actual wedding, as no one but immediate family was allowed in -- and even at that only Mormon church members. If I remember correctly, the bride's step mom was not Mormon so she could not even be inside to see her step daughter get married.

Anyways, for almost two hours I had to hang out with various groups of people outside the temple, and just covered the wedding from that angle for a while, while the bride and groom were getting married.

From those few that knew what was happening, I was told that they had a second set of clothes inside, very plain white clothing -- robes. Once inside the bride and the groom would change from their wedding dress and the tux into the plain clothes and get married in those. Then they change back and come outside, so when I resumed photography of them coming out the front door, the bride had already gotten dressed twice!

I don't know about you ladies, I've done plenty of weddings and spent countless hours in dressing rooms hearing complaints about dresses and hair and make up etc... would you want to do that twice in a day?!

I don't know why they paid me all that money to cover a wedding from the sidelines but I didn't care.

Khar

edit:
P.S. Oh and whether it's a cult or not... as opposed to organized religion? It's all the same to me and I really don't care. Shades of grey. Nuances of ridiculousness.

edit on 18-5-2012 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarCry
You guys ever heard of Mormon underwear? Its magical underwear that Mormons wear to protect them from evil LOL

Not just from evil but from every day life. I've heard some pretty incredible stories from some of the people that actually wear these undergarments.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
just saying..

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Mormons don't drink tea or coffee, caffeine is ok though.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HardToStarboard

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

i didn't condemn or judge anyone.the facts speak for themselves. this is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of creating new content not in the bible. Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship. it's like apples and oranges. The apple is clearly different than the orange so I am simply pointing out the differences. Mormonism is NOT Christianity.

Only in your opinion. In reality, they very much ARE Christians.

Mormons ARE Christian. In that their only savior is Jesus Christ.

I don't think the Christ portrayed in LDS is the one from the bible since LDS denies that Jesus was/is God. They also deny that He was eternal (denying John 1:1) and instead say that He was a created being just like man. That's an heretical statement according to the Catholic/Protestant/Anglo/Orthodox view. It also nullifies His propitiation for sin (i.e. - by denying He is both God and man the LDS church essentially renders the cross powerless).

I'm using the following link as reference. They, in turn, use the main LDS site as their reference (I just like the site because it gathers all religion facts into one nonpartisan location for easy reference and study).

www.religionfacts.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: Edited quote formst

edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: (no reason given)

In the LDS religion God and Jesus Christ are two seperate entities. God is the father and Christ is the son. Jesus Christ is revered as highly in the Mormon church though as in any other Christian church I've been involved with.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Caffeine is not banned. Coffee and Tea are. Coke with caffeine is allowed as it chocolate. The mention directly coffee and tea is in the Doctrine and Covenants where Jesus siad that it is not good for you. Later this was turned into the "Word of Wisdom" which made it mandatory that you abstain from each. If you do not abstain, you cannot be worthy to enter the Mormon Temple where Celestial (Eternal) Marriage is preformed and where you Children can be eternal sealed to you, nor will be be able to Baptise the Dead, as everyone living or dead will be baptised under the Mormon church, because it is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Also in order to be with the Father, you have to go through the endowment ceremony where you get the magic underwear. Unless you do all this you cannot enter into the Celestial kingdom where God the Fathr dwells. Good people will have to settle for life with Jesus Christ, the Son. Bad people and anyone else would go to the Telestial Kingdom which is a paradise as compared to Earth.

Just don't masturbate for that is also forbidden and you would need to go to the Bishop and work ut this problem as it would prevent you from entering into the Mormon Temple and be able to receive the many blessings there.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I know that this as been pointed out, but it just isn't Mormonism that is a cult, all religions are a cult. There is no greater huckster than the religious preacher... spewing excrement & lies only to get you to pay them, obey them and have you come back for more.

I do find the Mormon religion quite funny though, that stuff is comedic GOLD.

Derek

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenVoyager

Just don't masturbate for that is also forbidden and you would need to go to the Bishop and work ut this problem
as it would prevent you from entering into the Mormon Temple and be able to receive the many blessings there.

That was my downfall from the LDS religion right there. Admitting that to a Bishop as a teenage boy was the most embarrassing thing I've done in my entire life.

P.S. It was terrible because the Bishop of our Ward was also the Scout Leader of my troop so I got a double whammy there.

edit on 18-5-2012 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenVoyager

Caffeine is not banned. Coffee and Tea are. Coke with caffeine is allowed as it chocolate. The mention directly coffee and tea is in the Doctrine and Covenants where Jesus siad that it is not good for you. Later this was turned into the "Word of Wisdom" which made it mandatory that you abstain from each. If you do not abstain, you cannot be worthy to enter the Mormon Temple where Celestial (Eternal) Marriage is preformed and where you Children can be eternal sealed to you, nor will be be able to Baptise the Dead, as everyone living or dead will be baptised under the Mormon church, because it is the only true church of Jesus Christ

While this is basically true .....this is also one of the annoying things about the Church and its MEMEBERS.

Time and time again the members think that it's ok to drink Mountain Dew and Cokes and Energy Drinks...

NO NO NO ....... it is NOT ok. The Book of Mormon says to not drink hot drinks cause they are bad for the belly.

Mormon Church leaders have gone onto say that so are Energy Drinks and sodas and blah blah....

They clarify that not every bad thing can be listed in the Word of Wisdom ...... so they are always adding and modifying that rule.

It really just cracks me up when I see a huge trend of unhealthy fat/obese Mormons who drink a 12 pack of Mountain Dew per day and still think they are following the Word of Wisdom.

..this is why in Utah ... you have things like "Caffeine Free" diet coke/coke and other sodas
edit on 18-5-2012 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The amount of misinformation propagated about Mormons on this website is unbelieveable! "Mormons are
not Christians"? Really? The name of the church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints". We believe "Jesus is an alien"? Really? I've been a member of the church since 1987, I've never heard any such thing. We don't allow non-members in our houses of worship? Really? We invite visitors all the time. I've seen many non-members in my chapel. It is true that once a temple is dedicated to the Lord, only worthy members
can attend, but the temple is not where we meet every Sunday to worship, in fact, the temples aren't even open on Sunday. Why don't you people who continually spread misinformation about the church, or about anything else for that matter, get your facts together first.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

So Buddhism does not involve rituals and worship of a particular person? Oh never mind the rituals of meditation, burning incense and the placement of statues of Gautama Buddha and other buddhas on altars.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
This whole misconception that mormon's are not christians baffles me.

Me too. To me, one Christians is pretty much the same as another anyway, and America does have a wall of separation. I do not dislike Mitt Romney because he is a Mormon, I dislike him because he is part of the Rich Elite, the, the Military Industrial Complex.

How can a religion where Jesus is the central figure not be considered christian?

It cannot, period. In fact, isn't that the very origin of the word "Christian?

Honestly Mormonism is kinda strange and has it's quirks but to call it a cult or to say they aren't Christians is just silly.

I would call any book religion a cult, but that being said, I would have to say they are in fact Christians. One thing I really love about Mormons is their belief that they came from the Pleiades, and that is what I too believe.

Second of all the whole King James bible situation is really pretty simple. The Mormons use a plain unadulterated copy of the King James Bible as a central portion of their faith. It's not rewritten in any way (I've checked).

Sorry, but there is no unadulterated copy of the King James, it was edited by Francis Bacon and John Dee at the behest of King James, and there is no changing that. Read the thread in my sig. What "checks" have you performed?

People that say these things are usually just hateful fearful little trolls.

What things? The truth of the matter, personal opinion of a member, theory of same?

As far as the Mormon's other books they are supposed to be a continuation of the Bible chronicling the experiences of a couple groups of people who sailed from the Middle East to the Americas. This might seem funny or odd to people but it's what they believe. These other books tell the story of Jesus visiting the Americas after his resurrection as well... Yet another reason why I laugh at those who say Mormons are not Christians.

Well, I know some Christians who think Mormons are Satanists, but that doesn't make it so, in fact, these think everyone except them are Satan followers. You are aware that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, and that he and his wife Mary, and their two children lived to be ripe old ages? James Cameron swears he has found their ossuaries—stone boxes used to hold the bones of the dead, in Jerusalem.

Inscriptions on the boxes, in addition to DNA tests of tiny bits of tissue found inside, suggest that the cave was the final resting place of Jesus, his disciple Mary Magdalene, and their son, the filmmakers said.

The claims, if verified, could threaten key tenets of the Christian faith, most notably that Jesus never married or had children and that he was resurrected three days after his death.

"The evidence is compelling," said Jane Root, president of Discovery Channel, which will air the film on Sunday. "The consequences are enormous."
National Geographic

Botom LIne: Is Mormonism kind of strange? Definitely
Are they Christians? Most Certainly
Do they marry multiple Women? ABsolutely Not
Do they marry underaged women? Absolutely Not

Agreed on all points.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join