It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car chase outrage as police order driver roadblock

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Car chase outrage as police order driver roadblock

www.theage.com.au

''The primary duty of a police officer is to protect life and property. This duty comes above all else, including the need to apprehend offenders.'' - Victoria's chief traffic policeman, Kieran Walshe, in an opinion piece for The Age in January.

THE veteran policeman's message would have been questioned by outraged drivers who were ordered to form a roadblock with their cars to bring an end to a wild pursuit of a stolen car on a Melbourne freeway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Car chase outrage as police order driver roadblock Car chase outrage as police order driver roadblock

This is just crazy. Ordering civilians to use their own cars to set up a roadblock? And the first car hit had children in it?

David Rendina said police told him to pull into the emergency lane near the Epping exit of the Hume Highway as they commandeered cars on Saturday morning. Mr Rendina, who was travelling with his partner and children, aged eight and nine, said drivers were told to fill all the freeway lanes.

''I pretty much knew I was a sitting duck,'' he told ABC radio 774. ''I just remember seeing him speeding towards me and going, 'Well, there's nothing I can do here, I just have to sit here'.''

The speeding driver smashed into the electrician's car and several others as he tried to avoid the roadblock.

''Anything could have happened,'' he said, adding that he did not think that it was worth putting the lives of his children at risk to stop a stolen car.

He was unable to drive his utility afterwards and his children had nightmares.

The police said drivers would be compensated for damages and have counseling available...

Just insane... and the gut with the kids didn't refuse?

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
'I'm still trying to comprehend how the police can justify this'

''I'M 17 years old, and currently doing VCE at Melbourne High School. I was on my way home from the tutor on Saturday morning and my mum was supervising, as I was driving. Approximately around 11.30, while I was heading south bound on the Hume Freeway, I encountered a police vehicle, and all the cars on the freeway were brought to a halt.

The police officers exited their vehicle, and firmly instructed the traffic to form three lanes, occupying the emergency lane as well. I was right at the front of the traffic, and I initially assumed that it was a routine check. However, upon hearing the helicopter above us, and witnessing the blockage of the emergency lane, I had a feeling that this was something more serious.

www.theage.com.au...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Human shields to stop this speeding car

Video

media.theage.com.au...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Complacency is a crazy b%^!$

These people would also get out of their cars and jump off a bridge if ordered too by the police... Just look at that person saying they saw the speeding car, but just sat there...

'Well, there's nothing I can do here, I just have to sit here'

Would you rather go in the train cars or risk being shot?

Would you rather go in the shower or risk being shot?
edit on 16-5-2012 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sorry. But i would refuse this action. They -cannot- use the public as a means to stop a car chase. Sorry, but that puts unneeded life in danger. I would drive right past them, squeeze through their cruisers, go off on the shoulder. Especially if i had children in my vehicle, there would be NO way.

"Oh, i have an idea, instead of using the traditional road spikes, lets use the general public to stop a speeding car. Don't worry, loss of public life is acceptable". Not okay.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow, that was a very ignorant call. I wonder if the suspect will have to pay restitution to those drivers or if the department is liable. I would have told those cops to kiss my ass, use your own vehicles.

Thats child endangerment and the department should be held accountable.

Really really stupid.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
Wow, that was a very ignorant call. I wonder if the suspect will have to pay restitution to those drivers or if the department is liable. I would have told those cops to kiss my ass, use your own vehicles.

Thats child endangerment and the department should be held accountable.

Really really stupid.

I would say that the criminal should reimburse the town for the resources used, BUT, the police need to reimburse the people they voluntarily put in harms way.

+3 more 
posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The person who authorized this needs to be canned and all the officers who participated in ordering motorists to form the blockade should be arrested for child endangerment and attempted manslaughter.

ETA:If this had happened in the US, I would be pushing for charges against all of the officers.
edit on 16-5-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Complacency is a crazy b%^!$

These people would also get out of their cars and jump off a bridge if ordered too by the police... Just look at that person saying they saw the speeding car, but just sat there...

'Well, there's nothing I can do here, I just have to sit here'

Would you rather go in the train cars or risk being shot?

Would you rather go in the shower or risk being shot?
edit on 16-5-2012 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

From what I can tell here, the police didn't exactly say, "pull over here and help create a road block". They just instructed them to get into a lane, not knowing why. By the time he realized what was going on, he could not do anything because he was stuck in the lane surrounded by cars. Maybe he could try to get out, but what about his wife and kids?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Seems a couple officer watched the Lethal Weapon series too much as kids. Wonder what their next move is?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
The person who authorized this needs to be canned and all the officers who participated in ordering motorists to form the blockade should be arrested for child endangerment and attempted manslaughter.

ETA:If this had happened in the US, I would be pushing for charges against all of the officers.
edit on 16-5-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

I agree totally.
This is insanity and dangerous to put civilians in the path of harm for any reason.
For a stolen car?!??!

I thought Australian police had better heads on their shoulders than this.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What a moron. He must have the I.Q. of a vegetable. Unless the thief carried with him a vial of deadly virus about to depopulate the entire earth, there is no excuse for risking so many lives and property for one car thief. Even if that were the case I'd still think of better ways to take this guy out before he had a chance to hurt people.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Was this Australia? I can't see this happening in America. What a dumb ass parent. I would definately risk getting a ticket or even jail before I risked my kid's life. Stupid move by the cops, criminal, and parents. No real winners in this story...

P.S. These cops better be held on child endangerment, abuse of power and second degree (or whatever dumb degree it is) attempted vehicular manslaughter charges.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Wow, what a disturbing series of events...... Using people and their personal cars as a makeshift roadblock. Completely irresponsible, similar things have happened in the US though. I have seen the cops call ahead on CB's to tractor trailer drivers and have them make a moving roadblock as well. Does the end justify the means? Not in my opinion.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
so if you don't comply, and drive off from the roadblock front line, would a completely new police chase begin?

interesting...like they expect us to be willing obedient subjects to the state for anything, anytime.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
To those accusing the civilians of being stupid for allowing the police to do this, read the article again. The drivers had no idea that they were being used as human shields until the speeding car was in their rear vision mirror and it was too late to move.

Oh, and Aussie cops are quickly becoming every bit as corrupt and bad as their US counterparts.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Massive overreaction again from you guys.
Did you even see the diagram? The car struck another at 30KMH - I can run that fast...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

was it right probably not but to try to save children i probably would have done something similar

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LondonerBLV
Massive overreaction again from you guys.
Did you even see the diagram? The car struck another at 30KMH - I can run that fast...

Why not load up your family and have someone run a pick up truck into your car at 30kmH, just to show us that it's not that big of a deal.

<<   2  3 >>

join