It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God created Time, how long did it take?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Sorry everyone. MysticalUnicorn already won this thread. He was more logical than all of you combined.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

Originally posted by MysticalUnicorn
If all humans were wiped out tomorrow, time would continue to move forward.

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Time would not. However things would continue to go about their business.

How do you figure time would not move forward?
If [God] wiped out humans today at 4 - but left a clock - and then brought them back an hour later, the clock say 5, the clock, nor time, stopped simply because humans did not exist. The clock, as time, would continue. To me, your statement is contradictory.

As for how long did it take God? Obviously depends on if you belive in the Creation, but, for sake of the thread at hand - my opinion is that is an in-answerable question. Too many factors. Ie: the bible referrs to the Creation as being 7 days. The Bible referrs later in books that a day to God is as 1,000 years. But then, add to this the human time-change concept, whereas Methusela lived 969 years, is that 969 of present day years? Is that as 1 day to God?

To many questions lay within the question to really be answered.

Misfit

Processes would continue, not time. The period which a process takes, is measured and labeled by time. With no humans this ,measurement would not exist.

Time is a man made measurement, I do not see why people cannot grasp this very basic concept.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit

Originally posted by MysticalUnicorn
If all humans were wiped out tomorrow, time would continue to move forward.

Time would not. However things would continue to go about their business.

How do you figure time would not move forward?
If [God] wiped out humans today at 4 - but left a clock - and then brought them back an hour later, the clock say 5, the clock, nor time, stopped simply because humans did not exist. The clock, as time, would continue. To me, your statement is contradictory.

As for how long did it take God? Obviously depends on if you belive in the Creation, but, for sake of the thread at hand - my opinion is that is an in-answerable question. Too many factors. Ie: the bible referrs to the Creation as being 7 days. The Bible referrs later in books that a day to God is as 1,000 years. But then, add to this the human time-change concept, whereas Methusela lived 969 years, is that 969 of present day years? Is that as 1 day to God?

To many questions lay within the question to really be answered.

Misfit

Processes would continue, not time. The period which a process takes, is measured and labeled by time. With no humans this ,measurement would not exist.

Time is a man made measurement, I do not see why people cannot grasp this very basic concept.

Dude... the CLOCK and the CALENDAR are our creations. They are instruments to MEASURE TIME. How hard is that to understand?

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
How hard indeed.

Humans gone - earth stays.
Animals still run, trees still grow, clocks still run.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnconsciousEntity

Dude... the CLOCK and the CALENDAR are our creations. They are instruments to MEASURE TIME. How hard is that to understand?

What is wrong with your thinking!? Yes...the "clock" and the calendar are created by man...but the passing of time isn't! We measure it but it exist regardless of what we "call" it or how we measure it......seasons change...that's time passing...from one earth change to another, ice age etc...is time passing....the metamorphoses from caterpillar to butterfly, is time passing.....before there were humans here....time passed! How hard is that to understand

[edit on 10/7/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
IMO God didn't create time, we humans/mankind did.

In the bible people lived for hundreds of years, compared to now, what happened?? was it that our perception of time changed????

I could agree! Or is time speeding up? Or at any rate if God created it he must still be creating it for it hasn't stooped yet

Go figure,

TUT

[edit on 7-10-2004 by tututkamen]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Man did not "create" time, we just came up our own ways to measure it (hourglasses, sundails, clocks, etc...). But, the concept of time is still relative. Put your face on a hot stove for 5 seconds and it seems like an eternity. Spend an evening with a beautiful woman and it goes by in an instant. It's all relative

[edit on 7-10-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by UnconsciousEntity

What is wrong with your thinking!? Yes...the "clock" and the calendar are created by man...but the passing of time isn't! We measure it but it exist regardless of what we "call" it or how we measure it......seasons change...that's time passing...from one earth change to another, ice age etc...is time passing....the metamorphoses from caterpillar to butterfly, is time passing.....before there were humans here....time passed! How hard is that to understand

[edit on 10/7/2004 by LadyV]

Why are you argueing with me? I'm argueing with the person who opposes that, so you're supposed to be with me...

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Confusion Reigns Supreme

TUT

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
But doesn't it say (in the Bible) something to the extent of...

"What is a day to me?" in reference to God... I think the quote was something along the lines of "a thousand years for you is but a day for me"

What is time to God? To use a Sitchin example...

A house fly lives for a couple days, his whole entire life he has seen me unchange. To him, I am immortal. The same can be said about that fly's father, grandfather, and son. "See that man there? He has existed for as long as I can remember, and has been there since before my great grandfather."

So if a fly's lifetime is nothing but a day for us, and a thousand years is but a day to God, what is time to God? For all we know, He could have created the world before he knew it, thus taking no time to do it.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ok....my bad......took that wrong. Apologies

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Ok....my bad......took that wrong. Apologies

Heh.. don't worry about it. I can be confusing at times.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
God is outside of time. So creating time didn't take any time at all for him.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join