It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New storm warning after tornado

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

New storm warning after tornado

uk.news.yahoo.com

Britain could be braced for more thunder and lightning after a "special" type of storm swept across the country, bringing with it a tornado to some areas.

Forecasters said there was a "definite chance" of further thunderstorm activity after an unusual "supercell" storm travelled through the south Midlands on Monday afternoon, bringing rain, large hailstones, and a tornado in Oxfordshire.

Brendan Jones, forecaster at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said it was unlikely there would be another supercell storm in the coming week, as they require very specific
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nicholas.duke.edu
www.independent.co.uk[ /url]

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread837993/pg1]BIG SUNSPOT 1476 could be dangerous.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Don't know how I managed to miss the supercell stuff, but looks as though summer may well be off the cards this year.

The weather seems to be getting more crazy by the week, and with sunspot 1476 on its way round to face off with us, who knows what is to come in the next few weeks.

As the source suggests, the chances of a another supercell storm are remote, but I wonder with the current climate (pun intended) just where in the country the next bout of extreme weather will surface.

Normally this time of year I am already onto a nice bit of colour, and have had some great picnics in the park. At this rate I don't see that happening this year

Any chance of a day after tomorrow ?

The additional links talk about sunspots, and climate change, one for, and one article against. Not sure about the one for, as to whether it is a reliable source, but I included it anyway, for your rip my heart out, and stamp on it pleasure.

uk.news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
While I'm not sure just how your weather functions over there across the pond, the phenomenon you are referring to is called "training". The same storms form over an over and over in the same general spot, leaving areas with 6+ inches of rain and flash flooding in smaller streams. And yes, they can drop tornadoes. This is pretty common throughout the USA, and especially in "Tornado Alley".

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Originally posted by solargeddon

looks as though summer may well be off the cards this year.
What does this↑ mean?

It's called 'Spring'. It happens every year.
Often, when warm moist air collides with cold dry air, a storm may be born.

Definitely. Then there will be another day after that one.
And another. And another. And another. And another.............

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SweetKarma

and speaking of tornado alley....... i'm at the bottom of that and we got a wicked storm last night. i don't think there were any tornadoes but there might have been. i know the wind was INSANE.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Don't know how I managed to miss the supercell stuff, but looks as though summer may well be off the cards this year.

The weather seems to be getting more crazy by the week, and with sunspot 1476 on its way round to face off with us, who knows what is to come in the next few weeks.

As the source suggests, the chances of a another supercell storm are remote, but I wonder with the current climate (pun intended) just where in the country the next bout of extreme weather will surface.

Normally this time of year I am already onto a nice bit of colour, and have had some great picnics in the park. At this rate I don't see that happening this year

The additional links talk about sunspots, and climate change, one for, and one article against. Not sure about the one for, as to whether it is a reliable source, but I included it anyway, for your rip my heart out, and stamp on it pleasure.

uk.news.yahoo.com

Thats funny because I just got done watching A Day After Tomorrow. Havent seen that movie since 2006. Would be really brutal, good thing what happened in that movie is probably impossible

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Well if you read my op, then you would know, it means by now, I'm not hanging out for my dose of vitamin D, and my kids aren't driving me banana's because they want to go to the park (too muddy, and raining evey 5 minutes).

Mind you March was nice, thats when spring begins you know

By the way, you make me laugh

Of course there is going to be a day after tomorrow, just a shame it won't be me in a pair of shorts enjoying the outdoors.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
in the OP's link it states 'a special type of storm'

what a load of bollocks.
The UK has these 'special storms' every year and so do other countries.

The UK also has over 30 tornadoes a year.
This is only getting reported more as the population expands on this little rock.

I do however think that this year the UK will have some nice beefy thunderstorms.
No basis but just hoping.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

Indeedy, and just as well, because the thought of freezing upon exposure doesn't sound too fun

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

I do hope so, I love thunder, and lightning.

Never see enough of it.

The supercell is rare for England, and some other places. Yet common in others.

I love the name personaly.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
i would love to see a tornado
i learnt today in a thread i posted this morning that the UK has the most tornados in europe!!! (not including water spouts)
PheonixOD educated me on this!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(shamefully post my thread)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Well if you read my op, then you would know, it means by now, I'm not hanging out for my dose of vitamin D, and my kids aren't driving me banana's because they want to go to the park (too muddy, and raining evey 5 minutes).
I did read it. lol
I just wasn't familiar with this phrase→ 'may well be off the cards'.

By the way, you make me laugh

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Yep im at the north end of tornado alley and we have had some weird weather and tornados up here as well.

edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

Only 30 a year? Wow didnt realise it was that low. Over here we can get 30 tornados in a day through out tornado alley.

edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

LOL! right. 30 in a year seems like NOTHING. we get them often enough that every time a big storm comes through i have a panic attack.

top topics

join