It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space weather expert has ominous forecast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Space weather expert has ominous forecast
L.A. Times

Mike Hapgood, who studies solar events, says the world isn't prepared for a truly damaging storm. And one could happen soon.

Mike Hapgood, a space weather scientist, is warning about mass electronic failures and electric power failures caused by solar storms.

A stream of highly charged particles from the sun is headed straight toward Earth, threatening to plunge cities around the world into darkness and bring the global economy screeching to a halt.

This isn't the premise of the latest doomsday thriller. Massive solar storms have happened before — and another one is likely to occur soon, according to Mike Hapgood, a space weather scientist at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford, England.

Much of the planet's electronic equipment, as well as orbiting satellites, have been built to withstand these periodic geomagnetic storms. But the world is still not prepared for a truly damaging solar storm, Hapgood argues in a recent commentary published in the journal Nature.

Hapgood talked with The Times about the potential effects of such a storm and how the world should prepare for it.

Long 2-page article.

Please read and comment.

Are we Ready for a long lasting power failure ?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
i know there was something posted about this not long ago. i dunno if i believe that anything really bad will happen. it seems to go unnoticed when we have big solar flares (the normal ones) that are supposed to interrupt cell service. the most i ever notice is some static on some radio stations. i guess a big storm could cause some glitches but i doubt it would be life altering.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The sun and its solar flares etc has been a concern for the past 100 years.

While this is a looming disaster waiting to happen, it hasn't for 100 years and thats something to take comfort in.

If a large solar flare multi times the biggest we have ever recorded takes place, its not just electronics that will suffer, certain parts of the earth could heat up significantly too.

We are a ball spinning on roulette table of outcomes, so far the odds have been in our favor.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Nothing on the horizon yet,but it could be eminent.

A nice little link to keep track of thing before something hits.

solarimg.org...

And one more......

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

All quiet at the moment.

Peace

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'm set for about a year until the human "locust" swarms overwhelm. The swarms will hopefully die out quickly from the diseases that will be rampant with all the unburyed in the open spread by feeding animals and insects.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
\Are we Ready for a long lasting power failure ?

I am.

Been preparing and have been "ready" for many years.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Mike Hapgood's research was mentioned a short time ago here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is such an unknown that I just don't know what to make of it.
Sure we have solar storms before.
But with each passing year, our power grid is older, our satellites are older and we rely more and more on both aging systems.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
An awesome link:

www.spaceweather.com

Be afraid... be very afraid.

It will result in good.... compassion, empathy, love, and evolution, ALL OF THEM ARE LINKED together. Deny it if you'd like, that is... until you click the link in my signature that all but proves this.

Shut up Charlie, we know you're still winning! Duh!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I think something like the Carrington event of 1859 now would be devasting. could you imagine what would happen in New York are Houston if you woke up tomarrow with no power, phones, computers. Really most cars would not even work with out there computers. Even the old 93 Ranger i had, had a basic computer. And its not like it would be back on in a day are two. I think this is truely one of the scarier things we could have to go through.

On the up side we would have to start reconnecting with people a little more. May be even read a book.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It makes you wonder if this is what the 3 days of darkness in 2012 is? I'm not sure but it couldn't come at a better time than now. How convenient .

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
it was mentioned on another thread that if such a power failure occurs, it's likely nuclear power plants will stop functioning, leading to a meltdown. they can only go so long on their own power, or generators alone (if they even use them). it's quite unsettling if you look at a map of the US, nuclear plants are EVERYWHERE, especially east of the Mississippi. you can make all the preparations, take all the precautions, but if radiation levels get too high there is nothing anyone can do but put themselves out of their misery instead of dying a slow, painful death.
aren't i just a ray of sunshine this morning!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

We are a ball spinning on roulette table of outcomes, so far the odds have been in our favor.

dude thats deep i like that

solar flare isint really a doom imo yea we wont have power but ive been in destroyed places and the military could rewire this contry in less than a year as long as the grocery stors stay up we would be ok

new topics

top topics

join