It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man grows 1,360-acre forest in India...by himself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+137 more 
posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Man grows 1,360-acre forest in India...by himself
I have to say that when I see something like this I always wonder what makes someone undertake something so huge in scope? I also question myself as to whether I would have the ability to stay with something so daunting. I like to think so but the spark of sacrifice would have to be so all-consuming in order to carry out a project like this.
news.sympatico.ca...

When he was a teenager in Northern India's Assam region about 30 years ago, Jadav "Molai" Payeng began planting seeds in a sandbar near his birthplace. A few years later, he moved into the area and turned the seed-planting and tree-nurturing into his life's work, planting seeds and helping them grow over a wide area that was initially left for desolate.

In the past 30 years, his seed-planting endeavors have resulted in a massive, 1,360-acre jungle in Assam, a forest ecosystem that has left an incredible mark on the Indian landscape and stands as a testament to Payeng's dedication.

And NOT listening to those in authority pays off big time not only for himself but for all the little woodland creatures that call his forest their home:

Initially, the forest department told Payeng that trees could not grow in that area. He was not dissuaded; instead he dedicated himself to the task of nurturing the forest, and his dedication has produced results. The Molai woods, in addition to being covered with lush greenery, is now home to a whole host of creatures big and small, including birds, deers, rhinos, tigers, and elephants.

From www.treehugger.com...

It all started way back in 1979 when floods washed a large number of snakes ashore on the sandbar. One day, after the waters had receded, Payeng , only 16 then, found the place dotted with the dead reptiles. That was the turning point of his life. "The snakes died in the heat, without any tree cover. I sat down and wept over their lifeless forms. It was carnage . I alerted the forest department and asked them if they could grow trees there. They said nothing would grow there. Instead, they asked me to try growing bamboo. It was painful, but I did it. There was nobody to help me. Nobody was interested," says Payeng, now 47.

No one was interested in helping? Sounds very familiar to many of us I'll bet.

And of course there always seems to be someone to crap on the parade when someone tries to do something worthwhile. A Rhino decided to make this forest his home and got killed for it.

Unfortunately, locals reportedly killed a rhino which was seen in his forest, something that Payeng clearly disapproves of. ”Nature has made a food chain; why can’t we stick to it? Who would protect these animals if we, as superior beings, start hunting them?” Read more: Indian Man Single-Handedly Plants 1,360 Acre Forest | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

A great comment from a poster:

One mans forest. How quickly could + - 6 billion replant all our forests ? Very quickly. Too bad most people these days see" nothing but rocks and trees," where vast mountains and forests still exist..blinded to the beauty of our earth.. asphalt much better right ? Neon nylon screaming modernity is better.?

Peace to all. And remember this story when looking at all the weeds in the back yard with frustration and despair this spring.

Jude11

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Flagged.

This is amazing, there's no telling what can be done when we really put our mind to it. Also, I agree 100% with that poster in that we could have forests everywhere if everyone did the same.

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
s n f

why is it so few of us embrace nature and stand up for, preserve our environment?

how long can you hold your breath for? without enuf oxygen from forests and healthy ocean algae, we will run out of oxygen. imagine cities where you have to BUY fresh air? its not too far fetched at the rate of environmental pollution, with most air we breath equal to smoking half to a full pack a day of marlboro reds!

we can all help, even if u just live in a tiny apt or room sublet, grown ur own lil jungle!

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I have often wondered why someone didn't plant trees on the great planes a long time ago. There are a few of them around the farm houses.
There is a lot of land that is not being farmed that could have trees growing on it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Related Links for those interested in reforestation and 'natural' farming methods:

www.scribd.com...

www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jackasszilla
Flagged.

This is amazing, there's no telling what can be done when we really put our mind to it. Also, I agree 100% with that poster in that we could have forests everywhere if everyone did the same.

Thanks for posting.

Even if it worked out to 1 acre per person that we planted....That's a small scale project that many (not all) could attempt and actually carry out.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Even if it worked out to 1 acre per person that we planted....That's a small scale project that many (not all) could attempt and actually carry out.

No matter where you live, plant a few native plants every year. Especially ones that produce food or medicine for people. Learning proper location, etc, is important, but just getting started is the most important.

Study the land. Observe the cycles. Get in touch with native nurseries in your area. Find out what they recommend to plant. A small investment of eve just $20 a year and some of your time can begin to pay off quite quickly.

There is a lot of evidence that the entire Amazon Rainforest is actually a large, distended food forest from peoples now amost entirely decimated. Humans CAN tend the earth for the better.
edit on 1-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

No matter where you live, plant a few native plants every year. Especially ones that produce food or medicine for people. Learning proper location, etc, is important, but just getting started is the most important.

Study the land. Observe the cycles. Get in touch with native nurseries in your area. Find out what they recommend to plant. A small investment of eve just $20 a year and some of your time can begin to pay off quite quickly.

There is a lot of evidence that the entire Amazon Rainforest is actually a large, distended food forest from peoples now amost entirely decimated. Humans CAN tend the earth for the better.

Food and medicine are always good to plant but I also like the fact that this guy gave a home to animals and actually gave himself a wild farm yard with all the animals moving in. Birds, insects, mammals, fish etc.

Now that's food!

Peace

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Awesome thread, thanks for posting it

This guy is truly an inspiration. It pains me to see how we treat this planet, and that I am also part of the problem. I have tried to cut back on excessively processed and packaged foods and drinks, but I still get them and feel pangs of guilt every time I throw needless plastic into the bin. I still use polluting forms of transport and use more energy than is necessary to survive.

I can't wait til I have my own land where I can grow more of my own food, raise animals and plant trees while trying to live as sustainable as possible. But to get to that stage, I'm still a consumer like everyone else I know. But people like that in the OP are a great inspiration to try and make a difference instead of simply accepting the status quo.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Indeed. If you eat animals or insects, then restoring an ecosystem that supports them is also very much part of creating a food forest.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Indeed. If you eat animals or insects, then restoring an ecosystem that supports them is also very much part of creating a food forest.

I can imagine planting an acre. Been there and bought the t-shirt. But to do it 1,360 times?

I am so impressed with this guy.

Peace

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

A few of my favorites:

1/10 acre and how much food can you grow?:

Path to freedom...A Must Watch!:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ahh man, now I feel like planting a tree...

It is interesting to think about the fact that we have 7 Billion people on this planet, and to replant every tree that has been taken down due to deforestation is easily achievable.

Then to think, what if this type of initiative was taken to all aspects of the world. We could literally build a paradise outside of every door with in a decade. Although there are many environmental factors to account for.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

since when are there rhino's in india?

I mean obviously there are because I just googled it. But I never knew India had native rhino. Fascinating!
edit on 2-5-2012 by knightwhosaysnih because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightwhosaysnih
reply to post by jude11

since when are there rhino's in india?

I mean obviously there are because I just googled it. But I never knew India had native rhino. Fascinating!
edit on 2-5-2012 by knightwhosaysnih because: (no reason given)

This one caught me off guard as well. Didn't know about the rhinos. But I guess some people think they are fair game to shoot.

Peace

edit on 2-5-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Could you please post some links to info about the Amazon being a former food forest!
I am extremely intrigued! and I am sure others here would love to read about it as well
Off to google about this

thank you!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
First class thread Jude! It sure shows what one guy with a cause and enough determination can accomplish! He literally made himself a forest and tended it to become a seasoned and established new environment. Now that ought to get him the Peace Prize or something. It's gone for less, and he's a true example for young folks to follow.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
This is freaking AWESOME!!!!!!! And only one person did this! Imagine if a few billion of us became true custodians of the Earth and her beautiful lifeforms! You take care of the earth, and it feeds you. What more do you need?
people go camping and stay on a lake or in the mountains for vacations. Why can't your whole life be a vacation if you put a little effort into it?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This is very interesting, I hope the people don't turn and ruin this mans life work, it's bad enough they killed the rhino, I'm afraid of the ignorant masses. This was an inspiring story for me on a brighter note. I'm actually in the process of turning my small urban yard into a veggie and spice garden
which means I get my own chow and don't have to waste money on gas for a lawn mower

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
wow sounds like a lot of work
hes done a good job though

<<   2  3  4 >>

join