It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you believe is the purpose of ufos?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Many people have witnessed the strange events in the sky as well as snapped pictures and recorded videos but does anyone ever think about the purpose of a ufo. Could the other beings be here to harm us, help us or do nothing at all but study us and complete their own studies? What do you think their purpose is?

www.scottmandelker.com...

www.thelightside.org...
edit on 23-4-2012 by demonologist842012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I ask myself the same thing... What are the motives here??? There really aren't any great ones. I honestly see greater motive in hiding knowledge of advanced government technology than the movie MIB where they all stay hidden for society hahaha. The only thing that keeps me hoping I'm wrong is that I don't want earth's existence to be the end all be all. I hope there's a higher order and motive working in place, but me being a mere sheep will never know unless maybe i have an encounter of my own. For right now, there is not much reasoning behind flying around and staying hidden from society best as possible.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

From a skeptical point of view, I feel the purpose of UFOs is to illustrate the gullibility of people to believe in something fantastic despite evidences that indicate most such sightings (95%) are simply mis-identification of something quite normal and mundane or other factors attributed to witness unreliability.

The other 5% of sightings that so many believers will parade around, once again from a skeptical point of view, I feel may illustrate a certain series of interesting phenomenon(s) that are as of yet to be properly investigated and explained, but, are not necessarily aliens.

This isn't to say that aliens do or do not exist, nor does this say that aliens are or are not visiting.
This is just a skeptical point of view, on an open forum, where all input on topic, for or against, is the nature of discussion.

edit on 23-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

What's the purpose of UFOs?

Obviously a method of propulsion, right? What's the purpose of your car?

If you wanna talk about motives, here's what I think: who knows?

I personally go with the 'soul-harvesting, baby-eating, cattle-mutilating, anal-probing' theory, whatever that may be.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

From a skeptical point of view, I feel the purpose of UFOs is to illustrate the gullibility of people to believe in something fantastic despite evidences that indicate most such sightings (95%) are simply mis-identification of something quite normal and mundane or other factors attributed to witness unreliability.

The other 5% of sightings that so many believers will parade around, once again from a skeptical point of view, I feel may illustrate a certain series of interesting phenomenon(s) that are as of yet to be properly investigated and explained, but, are not necessarily aliens.

This isn't to say that aliens do or do not exist, nor does this say that aliens are or are not visiting.
This is just a skeptical point of view, on an open forum, where all input on topic, for or against, is the nature of discussion.

Where'd ya get 95% from? I bet you made that up?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

There is no definite evidence except carefully picked cases that proves that 95% of UFOs are explainable in normal terms.

It always amazes me how people that obviously have not studied the phenomena think they can dismiss it with a few words from known skeptics that have a particular part to play in denying them. And, if you would care to look, you can find ample reason to question their motives without thinking too hard about it. I would point out Sagan and Klass as to prime instigators in denying UFOs.
edit on 23-4-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

There is no definite evidence except carefully picked cases that proves that 95% of UFOs are explainable in normal terms.

It's usually the known 'debunker' crowd, the project blue book quoting deniers, who always throw those kinda figures around.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Back in the day when Pres Truman met with a representive Alien group they decided under Galatic law not to expose the Alien existance as it was decided the population at that time would freak out, so in exchange for advanced technology, the abduction of citizens and gathering of blood and other tissue, hybred implants extracted after short gestation periods, to be used in methods of altering the Alien breeding stock, as after millions of years of inter breeding they were having some genetic problems. That was the reason for the forming of Majestic 12 as a conspiricy group to keep the Secret which continues to this day.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Strictly speaking, I don't have any hardened BELIEFS on the subject, although I do believe (i.e. take on faith) that what we call the UFO phenomenon is very real, "not fictitious or visionary." Here a few hypotheses that I've entertained, and still consider to be within the realm of possibility.

1. Cryptoterrestrials - as other folks have described the premise, what we term aliens and UFOs are, in actuality, denizens of our planet, with a history and presence that is well-hidden and mysterious, but with just enough interaction with us that we've been able to suss out their existence and fit them within the scheme of things we understand. It's to their advantage that people think of them as "aliens" or "fairies" or "angels" or "sky gods."

2. Aliens are not extraterrestrials, per se, but rather are some sort of "stranger-than-we-can-imagine" supernatural/transdimensional/angelic/
demonic being. Their presence here would then be a matter of course (i.e. like the djinn of Islam, natural but mysterious creatures that share the world with us and have their own lives and motivations), and no more or less significant that elephants or dogs, but it could just as well be that they're here to guide us/steer us/teach us in some fashion, with intent that might seem - from our limited anthro-centric perspective - to be either benevolent or malevolent in nature.

3. Naturalists/Anthropologists/Intelligence Operatives - Humans are a sentient, well-organized social species willing to invest the time and energy to pursue knowledge and experience for its own sake. Aliens, if they exist and are visiting Earth, might be likewise. Just as humans will fund expeditions to the deepest mountainous rainforests in Africa to study our wild gorillas cousins, or temporarily abduct and tag wolves, cats and other predators to learn more about them or to keep tabs on them for their own sake and those of their prey and the humans they live amongst, perhaps aliens are involved in something quite similar. Perhaps they are studying human society in the way we would study uncontacted Indian tribes in Brazil; they keep their distance, knowing that we're simultaneously dangerous and vulnerable, and allow us (just as I imagine the Indians must) to make sense of their presence and activies with stories that make sense within our own cultural contexts.

This leads me into the most likely scenario, from my perspective, that of intelligence gathering. Now, of course intelligence organization employ psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists, etc. It's all part of the web of intelligence analysts. But this all serves to further the political and strategic goals set down by the leaders of our society. We keep close tabs on Iran, China, North Korea, Russia, etc. because it's both wise to do so, and because they represent threats of one order or another.

Humans are apes. We are highly evolved and unique, but you'd be hard-pressed to make any reasonable biological arguments against the idea that we too are apes of a certain variety. We exhibit ape-like behavior. We have emotions. We're empathetic and loving. But we're also crazy like a mofo when we need to be, or want to be. We're a slightly more inhibited version of a chimp. I say that the aliens would see it as in their interest to keep VERY CLOSE tabs on our activities for the sum of the following reasons. Consider that...

A. we are tribalistic apes, and in group settings, have a tendency towards violent behaviors that establish our dominance over others.

B. we spare no expense when it comes to our war-making and weaponry and training of our warriors, and we now have a truly professional class of devoted warriors who, in many ways, control technological society.

C. we have developed weapons of mass destruction based on fission and fusion, which are a conceptual leap forward from any weapons we'd previously had. We have used these weapons on each other, and as chest-beating strategic bluster (atmospheric weapons tests). Further, we're now seriously working towards self-sustaining fusion-based energy generation (ITER), as well as the development of powerful directed-energy weapons. We are truly heading into sci-fi territory.

D. we have not only explored nearby space, but we've made efforts to deploy offensive weapons systems in space (and I presume we have actually already done so, although I've no concrete evidence for this). We've set more ambitious goals for the next few hundred years, including the development of interstellar spacecraft and exploration of the galaxy.

E. we have increasing understanding of the true nature of matter, space and time through multiple avenues of research.

So, if I was an alien civilization looking to play it safe, I'd keep a close, wary eye on the nuclear-armed space-faring apes on that blue planet.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I used to think it specifically meant "proof of extra-terrestrials" but more recently I've become more keen on the idea perhaps various labels and purposes could be speculated. Whereas some may be craft actually piloted by something, I get the impression the other half may be more of an organic phenomena. The implications of the first I think are pretty simple - to earn our trust, to wait for our leaders to be truthful with us, then perhaps establish contact and help us protect (and serve) the planet justly.

The more organic phenomena I think may have no purpose, but it's some kind of manifestation of the unknown. I'm sure if there are other planets and civilizations out there, they are being targeted by the same unknown phenomena. Why? Well, an apple is an apple. Arnold Schwazanegger is Arnold Schwazanegger. Perhaps the unknown is always meant to be that - unknown. For the unknown/unexplained to exist, to be an actual physical thing itself then it has to manifest and remain unknown. And it always has, throughout centuries... Sometimes I think we're looking for answers for something that has already been answered. What is the unknown? You're not supposed to know, otherwise it wouldn't be the unknown. What is infinity, can you get a true picture of that? Is 'the unknown' just something we think of (as an 'idea' and provable) or could it be a real manifestation that we will never touch, never understand and never need to? I'd also speculate co-incidence, is it just a random timing of events or is it more interconnected within the universe than we think... Mind boggles

So I think there is a purpose behind some of it, some of the objects - but behind others, I think it's more subtle. No purpose, just an expression, if you will. But this is fairly new ideas for me.....still building up the evidence before I go publishing a 3 page book on it

edit on 23-4-2012 by markymint because: more speculation

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamstalker
Back in the day when Pres Truman met with a representive Alien group they decided under Galatic law not to expose the Alien existance as it was decided the population at that time would freak out, so in exchange for advanced technology, the abduction of citizens and gathering of blood and other tissue, hybred implants extracted after short gestation periods, to be used in methods of altering the Alien breeding stock, as after millions of years of inter breeding they were having some genetic problems. That was the reason for the forming of Majestic 12 as a conspiricy group to keep the Secret which continues to this day.

Yeah but was that the same bunch of aliens that scared the crap out of that Japanese airliner off the coast of Alaska back in '87? I don't think so, because these aliens had a different looking ship and they(the aliens) had definitely never seen an airliner before either by the way they kept flying around it and checking it out.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mahajohn

I'd say your on the money there with the crazy-nuclear-capable-tribal-ape thing.

I often think that if there are aliens visiting here, most of em aren't very interested in us and go to great efforts to avoid us, it's the old anthropocentric-ego-thing that has us convinced they're because of us humans, I mean we are so special and all after all!!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I find it entirely humorous where some people feel the need to jump all over me for making a statement from a skeptical point of view.

I even went so far as to say:

This isn't to say that aliens do or do not exist, nor does this say that aliens are or are not visiting. This is just a skeptical point of view, on an open forum, where all input on topic, for or against, is the nature of discussion.

... but, that part is totally ignored.

I was nice about my skepticism, and went out of my way to be gentle about it, but, regardless, I'm getting bashed by people throwing tantrums, as well as making personal assumptions and statements about me that are entirely unsubstantiated.

Why so defensive? Am I really that big of a threat? really? truly?

I suggest some people switch to decaf.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

....just asked where you got that 95% from is all

Well?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Um, WIKI for one ... UFO wiki

and, NO, you did NOT 'just ask'. You were inflammatory about it in stating that you bet I just made it up. Further, in the above post, you're quite snide in adding the 'Well?'

Studies have established that the majority of UFO observations are misidentified conventional objects or natural phenomena—most commonly aircraft, balloons, noctilucent clouds, nacreous clouds, or astronomical objects such as meteors or bright planets with a small percentage even being hoaxes.[8] After excluding incorrect reports, however, it is acknowledged that between 5% and 20% of reported sightings remain unexplained, and as such can be classified as unidentified in the strictest sense. Many reports have been made by trained observers such as pilots, police, and the military; some involve radar traces, so not all reports are visual.[9] Proponents of the extraterrestrial hypothesis believe that these unidentified reports are of alien spacecraft, though various other hypotheses have been proposed.

There's also bits like this all over the interwebs: 95% of UFOs can be explained ...

not to mention the About 52,500 results (0.27 seconds) hits I get when I google '95% of UFO sightings'.

It's pretty well documented in the most of the documentation regarding UFO reporting.

Granted, sometimes this statistic varies as notable on the wiki quote I posted (and left intact), yet, often when it does vary it's manipulated (on purpose) to the advantage or detraction of or for whatever bias may be being represented.

Whatever the case, however, as I understand it, where you can also further follow any number of sources cited in just the wiki if not doing your own search, please feel free to educate yourself on the matter.

I've over 2 decades of interest in this phenomenon, so, please, I'm hardly a llama, and, I do try to be quite fair sometimes, thus, it'd be nice of you and anyone else to back off the bully and take a breath or two.

Your bullying is quite telling. As asked before; why so defensive? Am I really that big a threat to you?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Quite a lot of the 'official explanations' for UFO incidents are rather dubious so I don't know what that does to the alleged statistics:

USAF "force fit" debunks

Also, here's what Ronald D Story from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics had to say about the 'conclusions' of the official Condon report into UFOs - a third of cases is quite a lot, especialy when you factor in that Dr Condon omitted some of the most puzzling cases on record and purposefully excluded many detailed reports from scientists, engineers, police officers and airline pilots.

"The opposite conclusion could have been drawn from The Condon Report's content, namely, that a phenomenon with such a high ratio of unexplained cases (about 30 percent) should arouse sufficient scientific curiosity to continue its study.
From a scientific and engineering standpoint, it is unacceptable to simply ignore substantial numbers of unexplained observations... the only promising approach is a continuing moderate-level effort with emphasis on improved data collection by objective means... involving available remote sensing capabilities and certain software changes."

Ronald D Story - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics UFO Subcommittee -New York: Doubleday, 1980

Originally posted by demonologist842012

Many people have witnessed the strange events in the sky as well as snapped pictures and recorded videos but does anyone ever think about the purpose of a ufo.

I have no idea but there's some strange (and similar) reports below describing UFOs collecting water

Unusual reports of UFOs 'taking on water'

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Among many things...

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
1% scientific study, 1% threat monitoring, 98% tourism (which includes sending literature, music, movies, sports video, etc. back home for local consumption, for which they owe us trillions of dollars in royalties)

edit on 24-4-2012 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

Originally posted by dreamstalker

Yeah but was that the same bunch of aliens that scared the crap out of that Japanese airliner off the coast of Alaska back in '87? I don't think so, because these aliens had a different looking ship and they(the aliens) had definitely never seen an airliner before either by the way they kept flying around it and checking it out.

No I am talking about around 1947

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

I do not think there is any question at this time that we are being visited. Yes there is no absolute proof; however there is a mountain of evidence.

It would seam that they are not here to do us damage or not up front anyway. That is to say that the ones that have been here so far certainly in the last hundred years or so.

So no invasion and no extermination and no enslavement, well so far anyway. If that was there intent they would have done long ago.

Samples, interbreeding, and study seams to be the way they are going. Indeed they may well have created us in the first place and have interfered on the quite ever since.

I also do not think they are here to save us from ourselves or a natural extinction event, to my mind they are studying us until such time as we kill ourselves off or we turn into a useful member of Galactic Society.

Well that is my two pence worth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join