It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV as Thin as a Sheet of Paper - Next electronic revolution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Imagine owning a television with the thickness and weight of a sheet of paper. It will be possible, someday, thanks to the growing industry of printed electronics. The process, which allows manufacturers to literally print or roll materials onto surfaces to produce an electronically functional device, is already used in organic solar cells and organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) that form the displays of cellphones.

Completely Plastic Solar Cell (wet)

Although this emerging technology is expected to grow by tens of billions of dollars over the next 10 years, one challenge is in manufacturing at low cost in ambient conditions. In order to create light or energy by injecting or collecting electrons, printed electronics require conductors, usually calcium, magnesium or lithium, with a low-work function. These metals are chemically very reactive. They oxidize and stop working if exposed to oxygen and moisture. This is why electronics in solar cells and TVs, for example, must be covered with a rigid, thick barrier such as glass or expensive encapsulation layers.

In new findings published in the journal Science, Georgia Tech researchers have introduced what appears to be a universal technique to reduce the work function of a conductor. They spread a very thin layer of a polymer, approximately one to 10 nanometers thick, on the conductor's surface to create a strong surface dipole. The interaction turns air-stable conductors into efficient, low-work function electrodes....

Read the whole paper here:
- Georgia Tech

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The one thing I remember in that action/ futuristic film 'Total Recall' were the huge screens on walls which functioned as televisions & pictures - so a large expanse of wall could be a live picture of (for example) a waterfall or landscape.

The idea was so futuristic then but very appealing - like having your favourite screen saver but covering a whole wall.
Could be the death of real art though on people's walls !

Good find OP ,

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Tomorrows wallpaper. Buy it in rolls and roll it on. From scrolls to ...... books ..... to screens ..... to Scrolls.

P

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
and I'm stilll in awe a sheet of paper even... !!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I was with a friend looking for a new TV and normally I don't care o e way or the other about television but something clicked in my head being among all these flat, smart, 3D TV's that are cheaper than ever.

The technology used to waste time is incredible.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Ancient technology from 2008.

www.engadget.com...

Pixels can be applied directly to glass or to a flexible surface, and in theory they'll be far more efficient than an LCD while brighter and longer-lasting than OLED.

OLED will be leaped over by Quantum Dot Display technologies that are superior in every metric.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The tiny crystals, which are 100,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair, can be printed onto flexible plastic sheets to produce a paper-thin display that can be easily carried around, or even onto wallpaper to create giant room-size screens.

The scientists hope the first quantum dot televisions – like current flat-screen TVs, but with improved colour and thinner displays – will be available in shops by the end of next year. A flexible version is expected to take at least three years to reach the market.

Inflexible versions targeted for release this year - though a year or more's delay is likely.

The main reason OLED televisions have not taken off is because they are a very volatile display. The organic compounds break down under Ultra-Violet light - to the point where setting them in a room with a large window can damage the display (even if they are equipped with shielding). They also break down under regular use - the displays are not expected to last longer than three years. Further, the displays have considerable difficulty maintaining a consistent color gamut due to the rapid break-down of the diode responsible for blue colors (not only does blue have to be 4x brighter for our eyes to see it as the same brightness as, say, green - the blue wavelengths are higher energy and break down the diode).

OLED has been used in the Zune HD - the reason for choosing it being the superior color range compared to LCD and the lower nominal power usage (though it is possible for OLED displays to use more power than an LCD when displaying bright scenes - while LCDs consume most of their power displaying dark scenes).

Which is why Quantum Dot will be what hits the market. OLED is already obsolete.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Can I just go on record as saying, I would no doubt be the first person to break this thing?

But seriously, that is honestly very cool. The things we come up with now days ( Wow,I sound old saying that). It makes me wonder the kind of things we will have 100 years from now.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Gaming, watching movies at home, all forms of entertainment are going to completely change after these become available for public use in electronics.

* TV size will depend on the size of the wall in your house = people building rooms with taller ceilings and wider walls. Also applies to basements too.

* if they are 100,000 times smaller does that mean there is potential for 100,000 times the quality of what we currently have out right now ?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Children will now be able to secretly watch television in class by hiding this in their textbooks.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
As I recall on RED PLANET They utilized this type of system.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Not only will televisions attain paper-thin size, but computer screens (and entire computers), cameras, heating devices for stoves and ovens (delivered pizza seems to be already there), display modules for conference calls and other ipad type uses, those stupid kindle machines, halloween masks, equipment on planetary rovers, and so on down to the tiniest atoms which will make-up the gas computers on the thinnest wisp of new-tech material.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Until they come up with something worth watching, why bother?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
Until they come up with something worth watching, why bother?

So true..
And as a sidenote they should
get rid of the )"¤#%)=(#%=&(
gridborders on the web...

If they make everything available
online GLOBALY, they will make
SOOOO MUCH MONEY its
stupid...

Ahh, oh sorry...Cant suggest that,
the corps cant think that far...dohh

new topics

top topics