It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popocatepetl Volcano Nightmare: 19 Million Prepare to Evacuate in Mexico?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This isn't that unexpected:

From wikipedia

Popocatepetl is one of the most violent volcanoes in Mexico, having had more than 15 major eruptions since the arrival of the Spanish in 1519.
A major eruption occurred in 1947.

On December 21, 1994, the volcano spewed gas and ash which was carried as far as 25 km (16 mi) away by prevailing winds. The activity prompted the evacuation of nearby towns and scientists to begin monitoring for an eruption.[11]

In December 2000, tens of thousands of people were evacuated by the government based on the warnings of scientists. The volcano then made its largest display in 1,200 years.[12][13][9][7]

On December 25, 2005, the volcano's crater produced an explosion which ejected a large column of smoke and ash about 3 km (1.9 mi) into the atmosphere and expulsion of lava.

In January and February of 2012, scientists have been noticing Popocatepetl's action increasing.

On January 25, 2012, an ash explosion occurred on the mountain causing much dust and ash to contaminate the atmosphere around it.[11]

On April 19, 2012 there were reports of superheated rock fragments being hurled into the air by the volcano. Ash and water vapor plumes were reported 15 times over 24 hours.[14]

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Looks calm at the moment

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

I was in Spokane when Mt St Helens blew.

It was dark as night at midday.

Our car was parked a block from our house at an open house when the ash fall began to be noticeable, fortuitiously . . . so we walked home and left the car where it was until the ash had settled.

We put wet cloths over our mouths to walk home and stayed inside for a day or 3--mother-in-law was visiting from Seattle. LOL.

Folks had to shovel heavy ash off of roofs etc. And, when wet, it was as slick as snot.

We increased the filtration of the car engine air-intake with something but I forget exactly what.

Certainly face masks would be wise.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
I have taken 800+ frames from the webcam and made it into a time laps. The server was sluggish so the flow jumps here and there. I have dubbed some sound under it to give it some atmosphere so the sound aint accurate.

Nonetheless it gives a good idea what the volcano was up to this morning.

enjoy

that's pretty amazing, what software did you use to take the time lapse photography.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
I have taken 800+ frames from the webcam and made it into a time laps. The server was sluggish so the flow jumps here and there. I have dubbed some sound under it to give it some atmosphere so the sound aint accurate.

Nonetheless it gives a good idea what the volcano was up to this morning.

enjoy

Looks just like a steam train that just aint goin' nowhere in a hurry! Excellent vid, thank you...oh and a * for you!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaonez
and that guess is based on what exactly?

The 30 million that are here before a large volcano erupted.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

that's pretty amazing, what software did you use to take the time lapse photography.

Think I go and find just that.. timelapssoftware. Good idea!

Looks just like a steam train that just aint goin' nowhere in a hurry! Excellent vid, thank you...oh and a * for you! Rainbows Jane

Every time I do the timelaps thing I hope for it to blow a whole in the sky but they never do. This one is a painting nonetheless.

I go and find software now.

Edit: Thanx TiM3LoRd for stating the obvious question. I made those time lapses grabbing the frames by hand uptill now. I'm currently testing something that might do the trick on it's own.

If succesfull I'll post the result with the ins and outs.
edit on 22/4/12 by D.Wolf because: software update

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Not a problem. glad I could help.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Heres what I found that can make easy time lapse movies.

It isn't even software, but a simple add-on for Firefox. It is an easy to manage little thing that when you know the refresh rate of the webcam you want to make a tl from (30sec in this case), will take pics forever until you stop it.

Simply tell it with what time interval it has to take pictures and tell it where to save them.

You can find the add-on here: Timlapse for Firefox 1.5

Here's a snap with brief explanation of it's functions.

Now for the results:

I wanted to make a full 24 hour lapse of the volcano, but the cam went black for some time and even now it seems to have stopped working. So I can only show a short movie. I did not edit it in any way. I just picked up the pics taken with the add-on and put it into moviemaker, Adjusted the frame rate to 10 frames per sec and published it on YT.

Here and there might be a double frame, but the flow is rather good and I think my days of painstaking handy work are over.

Great little app. Easy to use and fun too.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
wow,

its officially erupting lava, gas..

but mex has not officiated a mandatory evac yet.

what r they waitin for?

edit on 26-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Some people are leaving now except a few farmers who have livestock and won't leave probably until it is too late. Could produce pyroclastic flow traveling 10 miles a second. (I believe that was the figure). FAST anyway. Mexico City could be doomed.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
..... She's getting Un-happier by the day. I wonder if super moon will effect mt PoPo? Or...if all the EQ's are pointing to a bigger danger...I'm not including man made.

Link to Mt. poPo eruptions...

www.youtube.com...

I seen a thread on here concerning Cali having reported over 22 natural EQ's.

Is the ring of fire adjusting itself...or the Madrid...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It seems Popo is gearing up a bit.

Here the footage for today untill now. On the end a one frame capture of a seismic recorder that was in the footage somewhere. Seems the operator wanted to show what is going on. looks grumpy

edit on 2/5/12 by D.Wolf because: wording

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
sorry replied to the wrong person
edit on 7/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Hey, I just saw this video posted june.01 on the MSN Videos page, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about how this is currently going.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

Well popo burped just a moment ago so I think your vid could be a real update.

This could be an exiting day indeed.

edit on 2/6/12 by D.Wolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Wonder whats with all the UFO footage

Seems like entities can more readily transport into earth (core?) during active magma/lava flow!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join