It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pssst...Hey Smokers...Wanna See Something Cool?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I hate smoking, but I cant seem to stop. Ive been smoking off and on (quit a few times) for 16 years. Its a biotch of a habit for sure.

Wish I could just wake up one day and not do it....Im workin on it, but alas...its a pain in the arse to quit.

Good luck to those trying to quit.....and wish me luck as well. BTW the older you get, the harder it is to stop FYI. My pops had cancer pulled out of him 3 times from various places..but I blame most of that from the military chemicals he was exposed to. The pack and a half habit a day didn't help either.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
From my experience...my father is a chain smoker and my grandmother smoked as well as other relatives..

We are all water skiers...Excellent and fun exercise.

Due to this kind of exercise I believe we stayed healthy until our late 70's and early 80's.

Our consequence was emphysema...

I will spell out to you what you have in your future.

For one, you will not be working very much longer and just using inhalers.

Next, You will need to add oxygen to that. Maybe that's when you will quit smoking.

If not you then can add a BIPAP machine to wear at night because your smoking now has destroyed enough of your lungs that they cannot now expel the CO2 build up in them.

This is probably about the same time you will have to quit working because you will not be able to carry enough oxygen to get you through a full day and I don't think they would like the noise of your concentrator you now have at your house running all the time in the library. You will not be able to walk around the library much as your lungs will not carry you far enough without stopping to rest many times. You also will not be able to lift or carry books. You will need to learn to walk carefully to avoid stepping on your oxygen that you must continuously wear.

Source

I watched my Grandmother pass...my tax accountant....my dad is next in line....then me....

My husband recently quit.

I have cut back to half a pack a day...and if I don't give it up...I know the consequences...which I believe are different for everyone.

I'm looking for the women who smokes and got breast cancer...Please speakup. I haven't met one.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

First and foremost, that tongue looks revolting.

Makes me glad I quit smoking 16 Months ago

Although I must add, they had these 'shock warning' images back when I smoked and they never really bothered me a great deal.
I had the naive mindset of 'that will never happen to me'.

My biggest motivation in quitting? I literally just wanted to know if I had the willpower in me to do so, as I never tried to quit before (I actually enjoyed it) lol.

It was only after a few months when I realised how much more money I had and that I could actually taste my food that my motivation changed

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Dude, seriously.
That stressed me out so much I need to go smoke now.
(15 years of smoking, right here.)
edit on 20-4-2012 by CodyOutlaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
I've been smoking on and off since the age of 14. I'm 29 now. I started smoking really heavy during Uni because I hung out with a lot of jazz cats and orchestral string musicians, who all smoke. I replaced heavy drinking (I was a full blown alcoholic until about a year ago), with smoking as I figured that either vice was bad.

I have smoked for about the same amount of time as you, approx 18 years for me. Yesterday I was a smoker, but today I am not!

I tried the e-cig route for a few months, and I could never get used to the harshness of the vapor. It made me cough worse than a certain green plant does.

I've never tried an e-cig but from the limited amount of info I know about them (including a basic 'ingredient' list from earlier in this thread) makes me wonder how exactly it is any better than a real cigarette.

I'm down to about a half pack a day from a two pack habit. I don't plan on quitting as neither side of my family has had complications from smoking. They all lived to a ripe old age. I'm a jazz trombonist myself and have never found a decrease in playing ability from smoking.

Cutting down sounds great but in reality it isn't doing you any favors. I know I'm going to sound like one of those 'nagging ex-smokers' but just because nobody in your family had complications in no way means you won't. You are actually brainwashing yourself to justify not quitting. My grandfather smoked his whole life and lived to his mid-80s. My uncle smoked his whole life and died from throat cancer which returned after most of his tongue was already cut out.

I honestly enjoy smoking, and I've met some very good friends outside of the coffee shop because we're all social smokers. It's nice to be outside a bar at night and bum an attractive lady a smoke and a light.

This is the part that prompted me to respond to you. Exactly what part about smoking do you enjoy? Really think about that one. Is it the nasty smell? The terrible taste? The regular coughing? There really isn't anything to enjoy when you thing about it. You can (and will) be just as social without the smokes. You will still meet nice attractive ladies without smoking (in fact you'll open the door to the ones that find smoking a nasty habit).

Do these shock adds work? Perhaps to the right demographic of people who were already considering the thought of quitting. They don't phase me one bit. I found worse images in my parents' medical books.

I agree, the shock ads don't work. Honestly 99/100 times I couldn't even tell you the picture on the pack. Everyone knows (correction most everyone knows) the health consequences of smoking but if that actually helped people quit, they would've done so long ago.

I find that balance, not abstinence is the key. I eat healthy, I exercise, and I drink tons of unsweetened iced tea daily. The antioxidants in the iced tea have shown promise in staving off certain aging effects of smoking.

Balance is the key for sure. But I can't agree that smoking is part of that balance. You seem to have control over every aspect of your life but smoking has control over you. All of that # going into your body won't get balanced by healthy eating and exercise. Everyone looks both ways before they cross the street so they don't get hit by a bus. But why do smokers choose to smoke day in/day out when there is a very real probability it will eventually kill them. Not only kill them but likely a miserable death; cancer, emphysema, heart disease.... I think I'd rather get hit by that bus.

In either case, to each their own. It's an individual choice, and I don't need big government telling me what I can and cannot do to my own body.

Agreed. It is an individual choice but when you are confronted by the real facts about why we smoke you will have second thoughts about doing it yourself. Big government will never tell you to stop smoking! Their related health departments will put out the obligatory warnings and ads but they collect billions in tax revenue! Their corporate puppets from the cigarette industry makes billions as well as the puppets in the health industry. Why would the government want you to stop?

I was in no way attempting to attack you or your views personally so please don't take it that way. Everything I've said I am telling myself as well at this very moment. Not even a full day smoke free but already feel great because I am not longer part of the smoking trap.

You may think it is premature to call myself a non-smoker so soon but there is a difference. I'm not using my willpower to force myself to quit because I know I should. I have realized there is nothing to benefit from smoking and everything to gain by quitting. That last cigarette you had didn't actually make you feel better, it just filled the void left after the previous cigarette's nicotine left your body.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

I'd give you 10 stars for your comment if I could! Congratulations and will power to you! Stick it out....it's worth it!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jdb51

Thanks! Although I am very determined, a few words of encouragement go a long way!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
terrible habit, horrific pictures

Don't do it kids, read a book, go for a walk, play a computer game, just leave the ciggie

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

holy crap i just started to quit smoking ! ive had 4 cigs in three days i feel like im doing good!!!

But just a minute ago i wanted a smoke and i saw this thread

thank you!!! for changing my mind they should put those pics on every pack here in FL . i think it could make a difference
as i sit here and naw on finger nails and cheez-its

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
Yes. I wanna light up right now.

I really do.

I cant though, Im at work.

Soooooo a bunch of cancer pictures.

Let me ask you this.

Do you actually know anyone that has died because of smoking?

I have not.

But I know plenty, lots and lots, that have died of cancer.

but not because they smoked.

Cancer IMO is gonna get you if you like it or not.

Whers my ciggy!!!!

My mother died from lung cancer, but she had totally quit smoking 4 yrs before she was dx'ed.
I thought it a cruel thing considering how proud she was to have quit..but there it is. I suppose there is no proof that the cancer was from smoking, and the Dr did say that she had to have had the cancer for a "long time" before they found it. By then it was stage IV and she was gone 5 months later. July 8th will be four yrs

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I only smoke because I dont want to be eaten by reptillians

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I love all the smokers in this thread who are clearly angry at being shown examples of what smoking can do to you.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I've never tried an e-cig but from the limited amount of info I know about them (including a basic 'ingredient' list from earlier in this thread) makes me wonder how exactly it is any better than a real cigarette.

have you actually looked at the ingredients..........there is no comparison, there are absolutely no carcinogens in anything in the e-cigs.........you have to find studies that are done by people who arent in the pocket book of the tobaccoo companies or big pharma......

There is a HUGE war going on against them because the tobaccoo industry cant regulate them and neither can they be regulated as pharmaceutical devices...........hence all the bad press.......

Just compare studies from independent companies as compared to those done by some of the other ones......

After all isnt it just a bit suspect that they want to ban something thats actually better for you then the carcinogenic laiden real cigs?

These are the same people that want to ban private people from raising their own organic crops, or make certain homeopathic treatments illegal......

because they cant get their money hooks in it

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
As a nurse I have seen so many people die from these these types of illnesses.

I HATED being a hypocrite.!!!

So now I use an e cig the ones from Volcano and MadVapes! The flavors are great! Do not use flavors from CHINA!!
Madvapes

I can breath, I can smell, and can take it to the movies for less than 50 cents a day compared to $5 a day.....

Still though, I smoked for over 20 years and fear that the damage may already be done, lurking somewhere in my body.....

If you still smoke, please try and quit!!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I love madvapes

I also recommend Altsmoke and a guys blog Grimm Green all vaping info!

this guy knows his stuff, has videos from beginner to advanced.......always has new flavors to try and assesments of different styles of e-cig......

Check the guy out , hes helped me tons........

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I'm very happy for you. I once did the cold turkey route and it worked for a while, but it didn't stick. I picked the smoking over drinking, as I've seen what alcoholism did to my family, and what smoking did not. Sure, it's a bad habit, but I use tobacco as a spiritual device as well, and I won't get into that in this thread.

E-cigs are safe from the truly objective reports I've read on them. We use propylene glycol in stage fog devices, and that doesn't affect anybody negatively. I just couldn't handle how harsh it was when breathed in concentration.

Yeah, you do sound like you're nagging, but I won't hold that against you.

I'm very sorry about your uncle, and perhaps it was related to smoking, and perhaps it was not. Correlation does not imply causation. I had a friend and colleague get diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer at 22. He was a vegan, ran 5 miles every day, and never touched liquor or alcohol. Came from a completely addiction free family. The doctors couldn't explain that one. He went through chemo and survived and is living a healthy life still.

Why I enjoy smoking? I like the feeling in my lungs, I like the taste and the smell, and I don't cough from it. Smokers tend to be more social in certain situations and I find it rather easy to meet new people when someone asks you for a light. These are my reasons, not my "excuses."

I don't support the government through the money spent on cigs, as I buy from the local native reservation (no tax on native made cigs). There are a few brands that are literally tobacco and nothing else (I've been to the plant where they make them), and I feel safe in knowing that I'm not getting all the crap that big tobacco puts in their products.

Like I said, it's a personal choice to smoke, and there's nothing better than a warm glass of brandy and a smoke after an enjoyable meal, or with a cup of coffee.

To each their own.

-TS

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

For the first time ever I'm not inclined to QUOTE. That second picture has got to be the worst! I can deal with the halved brain or the heart but this one takes the cake. Now every time I have a belmont with my lager and get that gritty taste in my mouth, I think of that damn picture. Anyone know how those new electric flavored cigs are? I've been considering. Again...

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi
I'm a smoker too. The warnings here in Australia on cigarette packets are just as graphic.
Personally, I love smoking (I go through around 25 smokes a day). I know it's damaging, but to be honest I'm not really that bothered by it.
Having said that, I'm only 30 and I'm sure if I was to became a father or something, then I would cut down/quit pretty quickly.
After a long day at work, a few beers and a smoke feel like a gift from the gods!

$300/month isn't damaging? Hurts my pocket

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It seems to me that a person is genetically predisposed to get cancer, or to not get cancer. A person that is certainly isn't helping themselves by doing things, like smoking or using tanning beds, that could speed the process up. I know of people that smoke for 8 years and get lung cancer in their mid 30's, and I know others that smoke for 60 years and die of natural causes at the age of 90. As long as fluoride is added to the water, GMO food is pushed on the population, and planes keep spraying chemicals in the air, we are probably all at risk of getting cancer regardless of our genetic predisposition. The globalist bankers are soft killing all of us anyway, so I say smoke em if you got em'.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Originally posted by dreams n chains
I hate to burst anyone's bubble and I certainly do encourage everyone to stop smoking but..... most of the shock pictures and videos I see..... I see in real life individuals on my job in health care and most of those patients never smoked.

In other words.... smoking is certainly not good for us but we all die anyhow and even of these things that they act like only cigarettes will do to you. You'll just never see pictures like this on the processed foods we eat, a box of snacks, cleaning products, insecticides or cosmetics.

BTW, I also recommend e-cigs for those who want to quit. Over two years and working wonderful for me.

I have removed tumors, during autopsy..

It is pretty gross.

I think cancer is just in us, genetically.

80% of men over 75-80? has prostate cancer.

Heck, I seen dogs get bladder cancer.

Fido never lit up.

edit on 20-4-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

Did "Fido" come from a smoke-free home? Dont discard second hand smoke. In the 80s, my mom used to smoke in the car with me in it AND with the windows rolled up! I developed accute bronchitis, borderline asthma. Would have serious wheezing spells at night, had to take some pill called "theolaire" and couldnt run more than 50 meters without gasping for air. All this from second hand smoke.

If you want to die, sure deny medical studies and light up, but do it FAR AWAY from anyone around you and consider the wind.

I wonder if nicotine can become Impregnated on furniture and absorbed through the skin? Ever gone into a smoker's home? Everything feels soaked in that cig stench.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join