It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telstra Is Monitoring Social Media Sites To Spy On Us.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

TELSTRA has 60 people combing social media sites to sniff out people who complain about the company. Chief executive David Thodey said the power of the consumer is greater than ever before and Telstra is playing catch-up on customer relations. "We ourselves have about 60 people who monitor every social media site ... and you can imagine what is said about Telstra,"

www.news.com.au...

Hey Telstra,if you are reading this,you suck. Not only are you a terrible corporation with terrible customer service and an abysmal wireless service but now you are spying on us? Nice.

We all know that Intelligence Agencies moniter social media. Hello. But I think it is worrisome that corporation's are legally spying on us. Paying employee's to spy on us. And its because they care about Customer Service? This is Public Relation's? Yeah right. This is extremely suspicious. Even though our corporatist government sold Telstra off years ago they are still heavily linked to Government. It says they pay 60 people to spy on us. I wonder how many people ASIO are paying to spy on us? Hello to you too ASIO. I wonder how many people are spying on us all told? Maybe hundred's.

So to anyone that is being paid to spy on me right now,you dugust me. You are a poor excuse for a human. Get a real job and stop being a traitor. And Telstra,you suck so hard. You are a terrible company.Stop spying on people you freaks.

edit on 16-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Sounds like someone is trying to get "Upgraded" to 4g Wireless for free!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

Sounds like someone is trying to get "Upgraded" to 4g Wireless for free!

Ha! I actually got $50 free credit of them a few weeks ago over the phone because of a complaint. Im their worst nightmare

The guy was in India or somewhere. I think he just wanted to get rid of me

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

This part actually made me LOL out loud for real.

And Telstra,you suck so hard. You are a terrible company.Stop spying on people you freaks.

Oh and just for anyone who's listening, i think telstra are dirty pube mouthed wank jobs.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
what gets me is.....

those 60 people who monitor social media, how can they sleep at night knowing that they are doing this?

i wouldnt do a job like that for a million dollars. its just immoral. you have to be tapped in the head

also...i used to have telstra as a service provider before I changed.. they were awful
edit on 16-4-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
what gets me is.....

those 60 people who monitor social media, how can they sleep at night knowing that they are doing this?

i wouldnt do a job like that for a million dollars. its just immoral. you have to be tapped in the head

also...i used to have telstra as a service provider before I changed.. they were awful

Exactly. The world would be a better place if people considered the morality of their jobs. My sister is studying to be a lawyer right now. She has a good heart and will do good things but so many lawyers make me sick. There are things more important than money. Like being able to look at yourself in the mirror.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Whats gets me is, they own all the monopoly pieces, they give the absolute minumum level customer service possible, they outsource their jobs to india and they fricken spy on us.

Telstra are right up there with Monsanto in my book. Shame on Telstra. Shame.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

Whats gets me is, they own all the monopoly pieces, they give the absolute minumum level customer service possible, they outsource their jobs to india and they fricken spy on us.

Telstra are right up there with Monsanto in my book. Shame on Telstra. Shame.

Yeah,its a bizzare set up having them own all the infrastructure. Allowing them to charge the competition to use it. I have a friend in Sydney that uses another provider. There was trouble with the lines or something so it fell on Telstra to fix but since he wasnt going through them they made him wait forever before they fixed it.

Australia was great when the people owned all Public Utilities.

We have been,and continue to be Americanized.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I expect most, if not all companies in the same field as Telstra do this.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
what gets me is.....

To the OP? Why care at all? Privacy is a thing of the past. Drive a car and you're getting photos of you done at near every cross street in urban areas. Walk into any business and you're on CCTV for security, which can be seized for use by essentially any authority.
Every time you go to the movies you are spied on as a statistic.
Your TV viewing habits are monitored by your provider and the networks so the popular shows keep being made and the ones that aren't watched die, as well as allowing commercial vendors to have demographic data to target certain audiences with specific demographic tailored products.

Anywhere you go online, attempts are being made to log your activity, especially social networking sites.
Belong to and participating with a social networking site is an open door to essentially anyone and everyone.
There's no point in getting sore about just one more pair of eyes on you when there's already hundreds, if not thousands of different interests poking around.

So what if yet another company with yet another set of eyes gets intot he spy business?

As to the above? I'm mercenary. If I've the skill set for job, and the pay and benefits are good, especially if there's job security and advancement opportunity, I'd be more than happy to do the job.
It's a job.
If you work a corporate job, you can bet the IT department, if they're actually doing their job is watching you, spying on you, filtering and collecting data regarding performance, attendance, who you call on the company phone and for how long, and anything else that goes into your performance report personal record for when it comes quarterly review which may or may not be transparent depending on who you work for.
It's metrics, and most real jobs collect these metrics on their employees.

Doing it on the customer/client too?

It's a job.
I'd do it.
show me the money.

edit on 16-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I care because we can change things if we try. The reason governments get away with so much is because we are so passive. And if we dont make these things issue's then they will only get worse. We need to stop allowing the media to tell us what are political issue's.We need to tell them. To demand them.

As far as this goes-

As to the above? I'm mercenary. If I've the skill set for job, and the pay and benefits are good, especially if there's job security and advancement opportunity, I'd be more than happy to do the job. It's a job.

I dont want to insult you but I guess you know what I think from the above so I will leave it at that. And just say I disagree.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I expect most, if not all companies in the same field as Telstra do this.

Yeah,I had never really thought about it before. Pretty freaky. God knows how many people are watching us.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
It is good to see that Telstra at least cares enough to put some money into to. It is a big network they have and takes time to sort some stuff out. They might not solve every problem with this program, but it gives the planners a few things to think about.

Outside the cities Telstra does have the best overall coverage, but there are many other carriers popping up in different regions. If you don't like Telstra there is a growing telecommunication market out there, so exercise your rights and responsibilities as a consumer and vote with your wallet.
edit on 16-4-2012 by kwakakev because: added 'market'

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
When the governments change the laws to make wholesale spying on all communications "legal" part of that process involves going to communication companies, ISPs, wireless providers, etc and working out "agreements" with them to allow direct taps into their networks.

First they try the old "patriotism" angle, keep us safe from the terrorists, etc to try and get them to play ball for free and when the corporate lawyers tell them they can get something in exchange they end up cooperating in exchange for access to industrial espionage and a gentleman's agreement that the government will look the other way and not interfere if the company should decide to do a little "monitoring" of their own for fun and profit.

Take the NSA for example, they can listen to, read and analyze every possible means of sending information from point A to point B and until they create an action item it's not considered to be an intercept of any kind. So, they get to monitor everything and only the stuff they want to follow up on (which will get an automatic FISA warrant regardless of anything) is reported. From the standpoint of the Senate oversight panels they somehow magically only listen to bad guys.

Worse, what they do is take allied countries and have them spy on each others citizens. So, while it's a violation of US law to have the military spying on civilians they can invite teams from the UK, Israel, Germany, etc to come over and do it for them while US special ops teams return the favor by running ops on civilians in the UK, Israel, Germany, etc.

The CIA has invested a ton of money into social media networks via front companies and special "investors". It's the greatest thing since sliced bread, people actually reporting intelligence on themselves for use by the IRS, Federal and State law enforcement. Anyone with a myspace or facebook account is basically a useful idiot.
edit on 16-4-2012 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Not really an option in rural parts. Telstra is your only choice, and like somone said before, Telstra own the lines, so if you go through another provider, they still go through telstra so you lose either way.

Definition of a Monopoly.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

When you see just how big, remote and empty much of this land is it is a big achievement to get just one provider out there. Much of the land is still without phone access, but there is more competition gradually growing with ground to satellite communications.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Telstra,
fire the 60 people you have running around trying to roll your sub-standard service in glitter,
and hire 60 people to fix the damn problems.

you already have a customer service phoneline with people trying to tell you whats wrong. Try picking up the phone and listen to them.
You do know that's how phones work ... dont you?

new topics

top topics

join