It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God Outside Us Or Within Us?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

Again, THIS IS NOT A RELIGIOUS THREAD. Think of Derrida's Transcendental Signified, or Kant's Thing in Itself, where you can only build off what you know. A tree is a tree because it is not a bush. I am not speaking of a miraculous God, unless you want to call an unfeeling, unknowing, and for the most part emotionless quantum particle a god. For a God to exist to me, it would have to be something completely stripped of anthropomorphism.
edit on 8-4-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Originally posted by learnatic
reply to post by SubPop79

I'm getting sick of all these religous threads and posts. Don't you people ever want to be free? Can't you see that religion is oldest form of mind control there is?

can't you see that your post was the most controlled and boxlike here?

I am NOT religious.

I second that. There's a difference between "Being Free" and thinking you're being free. To claim, so absolutely that religion is mind control, you are also implying that possibly anybody that disagrees with you is also under this religious mind control. I offered my view of God, which is split between a "scientific, historical" type of God and a "philosophical" God. Am I right? Nope... just offered my opinion, because the OP asked.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

You can kick as much sand and gravel on it as you like, this would be the lonely road.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum

As an agnostic, I view what is considered God as basically the simplest of things that make up everything we perceive in the universe, and the interaction of those things, such as electrons, and the entire electromagnetic spectrum. Apparently I've subscribed to the "electric universe" (?) theory, and I didn't know it until about 2 years ago when I came across mention of it here.

A bit hard to explain from my viewpoint, but to answer your question, IMO (and I'm sure religious and non religious alike will agree) that God (or what is perceived to be God, depending on what you subscribe to) is "all encompassing", meaning that he, it, permeates throughout the universe as a form of habitant, whether in spirit or some kind of observable physical phenomenon.

My 2C (I felt like I was rewriting parts of Life of Brian, lol...)

Ii think there are many ways to describe how one perceives the notion of a higher plane of existence or a supreme being through different religions, etc., and I even think there might even be a way to explain it in scientific terms someday. But the reality is, the same thing happens to everyone when they die. The universe doesn't give a crap about the explanation.

This is my opinion, I could be wrong...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I like what you say, but when you mention "supreme being," I can't help but remember that a simple, boring rock has a life span that could be called an eternity. Wouldn't that make the unliving rock a more permanent being than a human?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You are the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and then end. You are the god of your life, not a supreme god of all creation, but a demi-god, who's potential to understand the bigger picture will allow you to merge with it one day, if you want to. Real gods are suns & planets etc, gargantuan spheres of creation and life. We are but conscious bacteria.

Ω

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaSynthesis

Interesting...

Real gods are suns & planets etc, gargantuan spheres of creation and life.

Are they real Gods?

Or pieces of the ONE?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
reply to post by AwakeinNM

I like what you say, but when you mention "supreme being," I can't help but remember that a simple, boring rock has a life span that could be called an eternity. Wouldn't that make the unliving rock a more permanent being than a human?

I don't know that you can define a rock as a living being. Is the rock self-aware?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I know this isn't a religious thread but I have to discuss religion to explain my position.

If we look at all the old religions (think old testament), the version of god is hell and brimstone and kill all of you.

But if we look at what I call modern religions (think new testaments, koran, buddhist text) all refer to you becoming peaceful with yourself. Think of Jesus telling you to love one another and be true to yourself.

Think of the Koran (the real one and not the one in seen in the media) they often tell their followers to wage a jihad which basically means an internal struggle. Men are not allowed to talk about their feelings. They must wage war upon themselves to find inner peace.

Buddhists...well they always tell you to find inner peace and that you are part of the whole.

I had a friend who died and had a NDE. God/light/whatever it was told my friend that life is for enjoyment and fulfillment. You must find and be happy about yourself. It's one of the hardest thing to do. The hardest critic is yourself. Be truthful to yourself and help others become happy. This is human kind ultimate goal.

So that's my take

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

The answer to this question has been pondered upon by many a spiritual guide before yourself, and the answer has always been that we are connected to God through and through, so the concept of time and space does not count.

BUT, there can only be ONE, so God and your ego cannot coexist. I'm not talking of a literal coexistence, I'm simply referring to the connection within yourself. There can only be Oneness. And its either the oneness of yourself, the I. Or that which isn't your I, the I.

And ofcourse, God is not a physical entity, but one that is the Source of all that is, as the beginning and the end. Therefore it does not exist in the physical sense, looking for the Source of everything in the physical world isn't very smart. But the connection is there. You can just see the connections.

Does that make sense?
edit on 9-4-2012 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I've never read the bible nor am I religious, but to answer your question....

Creator = Everywhere/Everything/Every One = Nurtured by her body

x

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

That is the conflict between spirit and flesh...

and they DO co-exist... and battle against each other....

Pick your side...

No one can serve Two Masters

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Well the kind of coexistence I'm speaking of is not the one from the point of view of the objective viewer, but from the point of view of the human him or herself. So that when one's ego is in control one cannot 'see' God. And vice versa...the internal struggle is separate from this though...I see it as the struggle of a person who is simply trying to reign in the ego....

There is a famous Sufi saying: do not try to control your ego, let go of it instead.

The struggle bit is something only amateurs do....those who know better, don't even bother wrestling with it...they simply let go of it....easier said than done ofcourse.
edit on 9-4-2012 by nusnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

We do tend to think of God as something larger than ourselves, as if we are contained in God.

God will not be found 'out there' in the world of things.
To find God one must first look at all the 'things' and say 'not this, not this (neti, neti)'. Any 'thing' that can be seen, heard, smelled, tasted or touched is not it. All 'things' are conceptual. God is non conceptual.
Thoughts, emotions, sensation, trees, rocks, people, can all be considered 'things', so none of these are God, however they are the manifestation of God.
What is seen and known is like the movie of God. (manifestation of God, the glory of God)
What is 'watching' the movie, is God.
God is all seeing, all knowing and ever present.

God projects the film and God sees the film. It is all one.
There is no inside or outside.

edit on 9-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
'God' is a fallacy. If God is real, then who created God? Who created the thing that created god, etc, etc?!

Think about it....

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Q: Is God Outside Us Or Within Us?

A: Yes.

edit on 4/9/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4hero
'God' is a fallacy. If God is real, then who created God? Who created the thing that created god, etc, etc?!

Think about it....

That sole concept is really the only one that convinces me without a shadow of doubt that there has to be a "God". Seems just a little arrogant to dismiss simply because our tiny human minds can't yet comprehend certain things.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Everything that exists is everything that exist. All is One. God is both the creator and the creation in one. God is bot whitin and ourside since it is everything. But the connection to everything is within you so turn on your radio/internet/third eye/connection on. It is only you who can find the on switch.

edit on 9-4-2012 by apushforenlightment because: spellchecking

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
why does there always have to be a god? I never understand your reasoning behind this god thing.

See that is one of the things I am trying to get at. There doesn't always have to be a god thing. To me God is a simple way of saying "universal creator," the "very beginning," or the "permanent." I don't believe there is an omniscient, omnipresent, and benevolent Abrahamic God who can speak to people and causes miracles and acts of nature that would not occur otherwise. I do however believe there was something that started it all, and no matter how mundane or overrated, or blown out of proportion, could be called a "god" merely out of a lack of better word choice. God may even be dead for all I know, regardless of all of it's power, size, and scope. If there is, was or will be a God, I think it is something that you can ponder you whole life and never know. If you could communicate with God, you would never be able to communicate that conversation with anyone.

Some people find the connection to god. And is seems he is telling ous 11:11 and other wierd numberseries thru synchronicity. I might not be right bit from my point of view god is evolving and growing towards something. God also seem to have a comical side to him. He seem to like to play hide and seek. Where he hides and we have to seek him. But once you have found him once he can hide no more. If this is not a practical joke then I do not know what it is.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman

reply to post by tinfoilman

Then I am also in agreement with the Bhadavad Gita which essentially says that even if I had no knowledge of God and were to live a righteous life, that I could be one with Brahman, go to heaven or be reincarnated. Just because I quoted the Bible doesn't mean it is my sole reference.

Sure if you want answers about different religions from people that don't practice that religion and know nothing about it. It would be more logical to take answers from people based on which religion they believe or know the most about. You'll get better answers. But if you want really bad answers I guess I could talk about Bhadavad Gita. Which is fine. But I would just wait until other people join the thread to give different perspectives.

But in my religion you can just skip the 8000 reincarnations and paying off that Karma and go straight to Heaven if you want. Jesus will pay off all the karma for you if you just ask. But hey if you wanna do it yourself, I support you all the way yo.
edit on 8-4-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

That was a good one with Christians going directly to heaven and Buddhist/hindus having to pay the karma. I man not sure it is true but whatever
. All roads eventually leads home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join