It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Faster than light' scientist steps down

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Ha! Well...now I really wonder if the escaping neutrinos are really faster than light?

Cover up? Or is he really that ashamed?

jJust what i was thinking, confiscated for military and he will go work secretly for them.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Relatively speaking it is true, but in actuality no. Here's an example of what I mean. Say the Big Bang occurs and two objects begin speeding away in opposite directions from the location where it occurred. If they are both moving at near light speeds and you are standing on one of these objects it will appear as if the other object is moving almost twice the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Of course he should have stepped down! He blasphemed in the Church of Establishment Science. Excommunication is thy punishment! How dare he attempt to learn anything new. Doesn't he realize that science KNOWS EVERYTHING ALREADY!? Id put even money on this being just ANOTHER suppression of information.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
i agree with everyone who say that his findings could be fact but because if they admit its true then it throws everything we believe into turnmoil.........its like them having to admit that they know we,r not alone,it puts the bible into the spotlight and the theroy that god created everything as not to be....... which i don,t really get cause the mainstream theroy is anyway that it was a big bang that created everything.......to me thats a bit out there cause how can we get something from nothing......we just have to admit that no1 is every going to know and what we get at moment is guess work but cause they r scientists we r expected to believe they know everything for fact.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
The news that neutrinos were detected rocked the world; if it were true,

Just want to point out that it wasn't that neutrino's were detected that was the news. Neutrino's have been detected many times before and giant machines exist for such a thing. That was never in question. It was the fact they may have travelled faster than light, which now turns out to be a measurement error.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
Yes, this is definatly a coverup, as the original tests were repeated....

Several Hundred Times

doing the same experiment several hundred times with the same error is not independent verification.

Not to mention independently corroborated by at least 2 other facilities around the world.

really? Who was that then?

Independant replication article on wiki (dates to 2011)
edit on 2-4-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

DEAD UP! Einstein is on it.
2nd

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Hehe, independently verified by whom I wonder, because it was those very same verification tests that showed it to be an error.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Find a single scientist or inventor...one...who became a household name, who wasn't considered fringe at best, or a complete outcast at worst, by the "mainstream scientific community," in their own time.

Einstein. von Neumann. Bohr. Planck. von Braun. Pauli. (could go on for quite some time)

You see, in most cases actual real science produces results that others can replicate, test, and falsify.

Or they make conjectures - this seems to be true but I can't find a proof.

Bedini, Bearden and to a big extent Tesla were or are not scientists. If that's the sort of person you think of when you use the word, that might be the problem.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by DJW001

I can't say the news particularly shocks me but like the previous poster noted, it is indeed sad that he felt compelled to resign. Is it not one of our human qualities that we tend to learn from out mistakes?

As someone once said: "Show me a man who never made a mistake and I'll show you a man who never did anything."
edit on 2/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

Well, what if, I mean just suppose, that someone told you that the speed of light, is a man made quantity, that was decided upon, so that it might be used as a ruler, and was therefore a constant of physics?

And since we have that constant, to use as a ruler, we merely vary the other factors when we do our calculations.

Now if someone explained that to you and it breezed right over your head, you might think it was something you had to prove or disprove. Like as if you were trying to prove or disprove that the meter in France under lock and key, which is the standard measure of one meter, was in faCT! one meter in length. And you measured it and you said, ah HAH! It is 3 microns longer than a meter! At what point would you step down?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
So 15th of June 2011 Japan hits their target...
news.sciencemag.org...

and then in Sept. CERN hits its target, and not to be outdone which they have been since Japan is rocking the world of science with their two underground facilities, and so my guess is that in order to gain publicity, and to say, yes but we went 732km and in Japan they went 295km. they sacrifice one man for the good of the many, and he commits a kind of obvious hare kare, and as such, it will not be held against him by his peers.

But it does draw attention to the subject of neutrino research, neutrino telescopes, EM waves.

en.wikipedia.org...

So you can send em waves to a detector through 732km of solid rock at the speed of light.

Radios that can work everywhere you are. Are you under 100 feet of lead? No problem, beam me up Scotty.
Nowhere to hide. They will chip you and see where you arrrrre.
But we will get our Dick Tracy watches and thats the main thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

I don't believe neutrino's have an electromagnetic component, they are neutral after all (clue is in the name
) so I am not sure your idea will work...

Good thinking though, but the only reason neutrino's can go through hundreds of Km of solid rocks is because they are so tiny it's like launching a tennis ball blindly through the solar system and expecting to hit a planet.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I don't believe neutrino's have an electromagnetic component, they are neutral after all (clue is in the name
) so I am not sure your idea will work...

Good thinking though, but the only reason neutrino's can go through hundreds of Km of solid rocks is because they are so tiny it's like launching a tennis ball blindly through the solar system and expecting to hit a planet.

Well they are tiny but they claim to be sending them and receiving them.

I think the old physics is dead and the new physics is marching along as it should. The old physics of charge, as a fundamental magic fairy dust, which stretches across space and time and magically attracts or repels has been replaced by simple wave theory since it is used and works and is practical, and you can use it in hand-held technological devices. Its a wave.

Anything with mass cannot travel at c because space-time causes anything with mass to gain inertial mass.
etc.
So it has no mass, since it travels at c, then it has to be a wave.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

If that gold bar was 3 microns longer then I might assume my measurement was correct but that possibly a temperature difference could account for the difference or that my instruments needed recalibration to be really sure or that maybe someone had sneaked in in the middle of the night and somehow managed to add a bit of gold to create a conspiracy.
Enough examples?

Maybe someone had sneaked in, drilled the gold metre stick, stole some gold and replaced it with tungsten, another possibility.

edit on 2/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by soficrow

Precisely. And undermining one of the fundamental principles of the theory of Relativity would be catastrophic in today's political and economic climate.

Why? How are politics and the economy affected by relativity?

If the lead loses the support of his team he can't function. Stepping down would be the only recourse.

edit on 4/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Do you imagine there are some extremely expensive research proposals and projects that require nothing be faster than light? That's why.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by soficrow

Start changing the basic premises and assumptions and who knows where it might all lead? Protests, economic collapse, the list goes on.

Sure, the advancement of science has always led to protests and economic collapse. Hasn't it?

The rationale for censorship of scientific information has not changed much since the times of Galileo, Copernicus et al. Historically, science has been routinely censored to protect the status quo; the argument has been that such censorship is necessary to "protect the economy," or peoples' "delicate sensibilities" or some other such nonsense.

...My favorite is the myth that female birds are always monogamous - when in truth, female promiscuity in birds has been evident to anyone watching, pretty much since the dawn of time.

Ninety-one percent of bird species are apparently monogamous (Darwin 1871;. Lack 1968).

Victorian values and the censoring presence of his prudish daughter blinded Charles Darwin to female promiscuity and delayed the study of sperm competition for 100 years

...Why did Darwin ignore the evidence and why did it take a century for others to make the connection?

Did you know that monogamy in birds has traditionally been reported at better than 90 percent, but that recent DNA research has revealed a very different picture of the avian world?

You expect Occupy Relativity demonstrations? "Save our slow neutrinos!"

At this point, I'm happy with the effect of protests against censoring H5N1 research. ...Or don't you count biology as a science?

edit on 2/4/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/4/12 by soficrow because: format, wrong link

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

All evidence about neutrino's is that they have mass, just a very, very, very tiny amount even for sub atomic particles.

It's the fact they have mass that enables them to be detected. It is a neutrino slamming into other matter which creates the flashes of radiation they look for in the detectors.

As for "charge" and other "old school physics" being outdated, it is pretty much what much of our modern technology is based upon and it works, so there must be something to it.

Another reason why they can't be an EM wave is that EM attenuates over distance and differently in various mediums. Neutrino's are unaffected.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I am with you, Mama.....coverup?

Like the previous poster said, this rock what we know of Einstein's theories...maybe they are not ready for that yet..
like finding out the world isn't flat or the sun doesn't revolve around us.

Surprised he didn't mysteriously "die".

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
To those saying this smells like a cover up all I can say is that the reasoning behind your claim makes no sense. One of the hardest things to do as a scientist is to obtain funding. Do you really think the money would dry up if the laws of physics were found to be wrong? If anything money would start being handed out like candy as the whole world races to figure out how the universe actually works. Plus, this would give most scientists their best opportunity at becoming a household name and leaving a lasting mark on science as a whole. Then there's the fact that if FTL were found to be possible it would create entirely new industries and the jobs that go along with them giving a bump to the world economy. The claims of cover up and conspiracy just don't make any sense from a logical standpoint.

What you're saying seems logical. But it's not how it works. What is corruption?

ONE multi-million dollar deal could put the cap on this guy. ONE. It's not like there are 300 facilities and operators out there to reproduce the experiment. We are talking about some of the most sophisticated equipment and facilities that serve no other purpose than to research magical ideas. it costs a lot of money. There is an authority and it is corrupt.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

Originally posted by GLontra
This is obviously a cover up.

The neutrinos were REALLY faster than light.

If you're so sure of this, then you should have no problem in quantifying the rest mass of a superluminal neutrino. No? Or at least give us the proof.

Funny. If scientific america told you next week that neutrinos were faster than light would you setup your own particle accelerator to confirm it? Or just believe whatever they told you? hahaha. Proof.. yeah because that's what it's all about.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join