It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 GMO Giants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Grocery Store Wars

Most people who know about GMO's have heard of Monsanto which is a part of the Pfizer Co.

Monsanto

Monsanto Webpage
Monsanto Wiki
Pfizer Webpage
Pfizer Wiki
Pharmacia Wiki
Solutia Wiki

www.naturaltraveling.com...
Monsanto

is based in Creve Coeur, Missouri (which, by the way, literally means “heartbreak”). Its revenue in 2010 was US$ 10.502 billion. Its aggressive development and marketing of genetically engineered seed and bovine growth hormone have made the company controversial around the world. Since the 1940s it has been one of the top 10 US chemical companies, and is responsible for products DDT, Agent Orange, NutraSweet, BST and PCBs. Monsanto has patent claims on pig breeding techniques, which would grant them ownership of any pigs born from such techniques and any of the herds related to those pigs. None of the pigs include Monsanto, to my knowledge. Roundup, the ubiquitous weedkiller, is a major Monsanto product, blamed for plant disease, super weeds and lowered fertility rates. Go team.

Among other products, known for:

Roundup Ready. These genetically engineered crops were originally created to be able to resist Monsanto’s own herbicide, Roundup (glyphosate). The genes contained in these seeds are patented. Soy was the first Roundup Ready crop. Current Roundup Ready crops include soy, corn, alfalfa, canola, sugar beet, wheat and cotton. The corn and soybeans alone cover millions of American acres across the country.

Monsanto Corporate Crimes
Pfizer Corporate Crimes

Well I think it's time to shine the spotlight on some of the other GMO Giants out there. These are some of the other companies involved in the GMO biotech agriculture business.

GMO Food Corporations

Bayer CropSciences

Bayer CropSciences Webpage

Bayer Wiki

Bayer CropScience is a subsidiary of Bayer AG, a German-based company probably best known for its aspirin. Bayer CropScience is another leader in herbicides, and is third in total sales in the commercial agricultural seeds market, making about US$11.6 billion in 2010.

Liberty Link rice seed. It was announced in 2006 by the US Department of Agriculture that Bayer CropScience’s unapproved genetically modified rice – LibertyLink – had contaminated the US rice supply. On July 1, 2011, Bayer agreed to pay US$750 million in damages to the rice farmers who had brought a suit against Bayer and its related entities.

Bayer Corporate Crimes

Dow AgroSciences

Dow AgroSciences Webpage

Dow AgroSciences Wiki

Dow AgroSciences is a subsidiary of the Dow Chemical Company, headquartered in Midland, Michigan. Dow Chemical, along with being one of the main suppliers of Agent Orange during the Vietnam War, also were the people who brought you napalm. Dow AgroSciences represents about 7% of Dow Chemical’s yearly income. While they are also producers of herbicides, fungicides and insecticides, their growing focus is towards genetically modified seeds.

Mycogen Seeds. These genetically modified seeds include soybeans, sunflowers, canola, alfalfa, sorghum and the jewel in their crown, corn. In fact, in 2011 alone, 25 different kinds of hybrid corn have been introduced for the 2012 growing season, including 9 SmartStax breeds. SmartStax is a partnership between Monsanto and Dow AgroSciences. German group Testbiotech, published a report in June 2011: “How industry and EFSA have been systematically undermining the risk assessment of SmartStax”.

Pioneer Hi-Bred - Dupont

Dupont Webpage

Dupont Wiki

Pioneer Hi-Bred Webpage

Pioneer Hi-Bred Wiki

Pioneer Hi-Bred - DuPont Co. is based in Wilmington, Delaware. DuPont’s agriculture subsidiary, Pioneer Hi-Bred, based in Des Moines, Iowa, is the provider of genetically modified corn, soybean, cotton and other seeds. In 2010 it ended its 4-year joint venture with Sygenta, Greenleaf Genetics. The purpose of the joint venture was to market seed genetics and biotech traits.

Optimum GAT soybean. This little soybean seed is at the heart of a controversy between DuPont’s Pioneer Hi-Bred and archrival Monsanto. The controversy stems from the fact that DuPont is using a Monsanto gene in the soybean plant without permission from Monsanto. The Optimum GAT seeds are genetically modified to grow into soybean plants able to survive exposure to glyphosate-based weedkillers as well as another herbicide called acetolate synthase. Monsanto wants compensation for the use of the gene. DuPont says they’ve paid already. They’ve withdrawn the launch of the seed “indefinitely”.

Syngenta AG

Syngenta AG Webpage

Syngenta Wiki

Syngenta is a Swiss-based manufacturer of herbicides and seeds. The company is a leader in crop protection, and ranks third in total sales in the commercial agricultural seeds market. Sales in 2010 were approximately US$ 11.6 billion. Among other products, known for:

Atrazine. Banned in the European Union, but still widely used around the rest of the world, Atrazine is associated with birth defects, low birth weight and menstrual problems, even when consumed at concentrations below federal standards. It was banned in the European Union because of constant groundwater contamination but it is one of the most heavily used herbicides in the US, with 76 million pounds of it used each year. In one analysis it was found that yearly average levels of atrazine in drinking water violated the federal standard at least ten times in areas of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kansas

Syngenta Corporate Crimes

CONTINUED

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Syngenta

continued

Atrazine is still the most widely used pesticide in the USA. It has contaminated our drinking supply, many rivers and even the Oceans. It has been found to cause fish and amphibians to become sterile and males to morph into females. It is suspected that it has the same effects on humans and may be a factor in causing male sterility.

Atrazine Wiki

A couple interesting articles

Monsanto, Pioneer slug it out over crop genetics

In 2014, however, Roundup Ready goes off patent, and already the forces are gathering for what could be the biggest antitrust battle in farm country since an executive-turned-informant blew the whistle at Archer Daniels Midland Co. in the 1990s.

Do Seed Companies Control GM Crop Research?

Scientists must ask corporations for permission before publishing independent research on genetically modified crops.

Research on genetically modified seeds is still published, of course. But only studies that the seed companies have approved ever see the light of a peer-reviewed journal. In a number of cases, experiments that had the implicit go-ahead from the seed company were later blocked from publication because the results were not flattering.

The Future of Food Full Length Documentary

www.youtube.com...

There is a food revolution happening in America today. People are seeking out farmers' markets, organic produce and good restaurants. At the same time, our food supply is increasingly controlled by multi-national corporations. Over the past 10 years, with the advent of genetic engineering and the massive expansion of pesticide companies, like Monsanto, into the seed business, the very nature of our food system has radically changed with potentially disastrous effects on our food security.

Patenting of life is now permitted, no labeling of genetically modified organisms (GMO's) in food is required, research is conducted on these issues by universities beholden to the "agri-corps" who fund them, and the major regulatory agencies are run by former execs from these very companies. All the while, the average citizens remain blissfully unaware that they are eating GMO food and supporting the aggressive "corporatization' of their food sources. In fascinating and accessible terms,

'The Future of Food' illuminates the major issues ultimately affecting us all -- some surreal, some futuristic, many frightening. Yet, 'The Future of Food' is a hopeful film, featuring insightful and moving interviews with farmers, agriculture and business experts and policymakers. It sees a future in which an informed consumer can join the revolution by demanding natural, healthy food sources that insure environmental integrity

Full Length Documentary on Monsanto

Some other Corporate Giants in the Food Industry

Procter and Gamble

Kraft

Unilever

Cargil

PepsiCo

Tyson

CocaCola

Nestle

and many more

www.organicconsumers.org...

BEATING THE FOOD GIANTS

www.whale.to...

Ever wonder why you often don't feel good, can't think, can't remember, can't sleep and don't feel like working either. If you want the answer, just read "Beating the Food Giants." Paul Stitt gives a first hand account of the inside workings of the giant food companies of America. He tells how they program you to crave certain foods, to overeat every day, to make you feel stuffed but hungry, and how this "mad energy" of the food industry is destroying you and what you can do about it.

organicconsumers.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's been said that knowing is half the battle. In this case what we don't know can hurt us. I think that all these companies should be known just like Monsanto. For their part in creating all the Franken Food. Remember we are what we eat.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
i'll give it to you...very nice thread! you can tell you put a lot of effort in this.

on topic...sickening just how much of our food today is already GMOs and most people have no idea. americans do not pay any attention as long as it tastes good. we're all being poisoned and folks will even say they have heard about how horrible GMO foods are and yet they still don't really try to eat organic. me...if there is an organic option for whatever it is that i'm eating, you bet your bottom dollar i'm going to buy GMO. i can't say i never eat GMO but i can say that i eat organic every time i can.

awesome thread! S&F...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SteelToe

instead of that MASSIVE wall of text and videos ( not being mean )

could you please just list all the brands that are with monsanto?

i heard green giant???

thankz

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

I linked to a thread from another ATS member that list a lot of that info.

Here www.abovetopsecret.com...

greenlivingqa.com...
~Frozen foods that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Boca(Kraft), unless labeled organic, Celeste (Pinnacle Foods), Eggo Waffles (Kellogg),*Gardenburger*, Green Giant frozen meals(General Mills), Healthy Choice (ConAgra), Kid's Cuisine (ConAgra), Lean Cuisine (Nestle), Marie Callender's (ConAgra), *Morningstar Farms(Kellogg), unless labeled organic, Rosetto Frozen Pasta (Nestle), Stouffer's (Nestle), Swanson (Campbell's), Tombstone (Kraft), Totino's(Smucker's), Voila!(Birds Eye/Unilever)

How to avoid GMO Food

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Thank you,

It's very very hard to avoid GMO Food 100% of the time.

Animal products have also been developed, although as of July 2010 none are currently on the market.[2] In 2006 a pig was[3][4] engineered to produce omega-3 fatty acids through the expression of a roundworm gene.[5] Researchers have also developed a genetically-modified breed of pigs that are able to absorb plant phosphorus more efficiently, and as a consequence the phosphorus content of their manure is reduced by as much as 60%.

I am still guilty of consuming products with some form of GMO.

These are some GM crops Corn, Rice, Soybeans, Sugar (beets), Canola, Cotton seed (in cooking oil), Apples, Tomatoes.

www.eatingwell.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Awesome thread, thanks. I knew about Bayer but didn't know the others, or that they were in the GMO game. Not only is it hard to avoid it 100%, it's cheap and the majority of people these days need to stretch their paychecks. The only way it will change is more people learning about it, standing up to it and just saying no. For a lot of people, that's hard to do because of the rising costs due to inflation. We vote with our dollars and these companies could not exist without the consumers so each week, I vote less and less for the big guy and go to my local organic store for my meal planning. My kids are 7, so I'm starting them young.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Thank you,

Even if you avoid obvious sources of GMO Foods. They try to sneak it in using all kinds of names.

INVISIBLE GM INGREDIENTS

www.republicmagazine.com...

Processed foods often have hidden GM sources (unless they are organic or declared non-GMO). The following are ingredients that may be made from GMOs.

Aspartame

baking powder

caramel color

cellulose

citric acid

cobalamin

(Vitamin B12)

corn gluten

corn masa

corn oil

corn syrup

cornmeal

cornstarch

cyclodextrin

cystein

dextrin

dextrose

diacetyl

diglyceride

fructose

fructose

(crystalline)

glucose

glutamate

glutamic acid

gluten

glycerides

glycerin

glycerol

glycerol

monooleate

glycine

hemicellulose

high fructose

corn syrup

(HFCS)

hydrogenated

starch

hydrolyzed vegetable

protein

inositol

invert sugar

(colorose or

inversol)

tamari

isoflavones

lactic acid

lecithin

leucine

lysine

malitol

maltodextrin

maltose

mannitol

methylcellulose

milo starch

modified starch

monosodium

glutamate MSG

oleic acid

Phenylalanine

phytic acid

sorbitol

soy flour

soy isolates

soy lecithin

soy protein

starch

stearic acid

inverse syrup

tempeh

threonine

tocopherols

(Vitamin E)

tofu

trehalose

triglyceride

vegetable fat

vegetable oil

Vitamin B12

Vitamin E

xanthan gum

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

instead of that MASSIVE wall of text and videos ( not being mean )

i heard green giant???

Lol, that would be an even BIGGER wall of text!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Indeed it would be a very big list.

This webpage has a good list of items to look out for.

greenlivingqa.com...

~Buy foods labeled "100% certified organic." Laws in both the U.S. and Canada do not allow food labels that say "100% certified organic" to contain any genetically engineered food, including animals that have been fed genetically modified feed. Be aware, however, that if the food is simply labeled "organic" it can still contain genetically modified ingredients up to 30%.

~Look for the labels "non-GM" or "GMO-free." These can be hard to find, but if you are able to support manufacturers that produce foods that are not genetically engineered you encourage other manufacturers to follow their lead.

~Here is a reference list of items that may contain genetically modified ingredients, while all may not be on this list a good way to avoid GMO products is buying unprocessed 100% certified organic LOCAL WHOLE FOODS:

*Boca(Kraft), unless labeled organic, Gardenburger, Morningstar Farms, Morningstar Farms Natural Touch (Kellogg), unless labeled organic

~Baby food that may contain GMO ingredients:

Beech-Nut, Enfamil, Good Start, Nestlé, Similac/Isomil

~Dairy and alternatives products that may contain GMO ingredients:

Colombo (General Mills), Dannon, Kemps (aside from "Select" brand), Land O' Lakes, Parmalat, Sorrento, Yoplait (General Mills), 8th Continent

~Grains beans and pasta that may contain GMO ingredients:

Betty Crocker meals (General Mills), Knorr (Unilever, )Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, Lipton meal packets (Unilever), Near East (Quaker), Pasta Roni and Rice-a-Roni meals(Quaker)

~Cereals and breakfast bars that May Contain GMO Ingredients

General Mills, Kelloggs, Post (Kraft), Quaker

~Baked goods that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Aunt Jemima (Pinnacle Foods), Betty Crocker (General Mills), Calumet Baking Powder (Kraft), Duncan Hines (Pinnacle Foods), Hungry Jack (Smucker's), Pillsbury (Smucker's)

~Frozen foods that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Boca(Kraft), unless labeled organic, Celeste (Pinnacle Foods), Eggo Waffles (Kellogg),*Gardenburger*, Green Giant frozen meals(General Mills), Healthy Choice (ConAgra), Kid's Cuisine (ConAgra), Lean Cuisine (Nestle), Marie Callender's (ConAgra), *Morningstar Farms(Kellogg), unless labeled organic, Rosetto Frozen Pasta (Nestle), Stouffer's (Nestle), Swanson (Campbell's), Tombstone (Kraft), Totino's(Smucker's), Voila!(Birds Eye/Unilever)

~Soups, salsa, sauces and canned food that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice(ConAgra), Campbell's products

(including Healthy Request, Chunky, Simply Home, and Pepperidge Farm), Hormel products, Progresso(General Mills), Bertolli (Unilever), Chi-Chi's (Hormel), Classico (Heinz), Del Monte, Healthy Choice (ConAgra), Hunt's (ConAgra), Old El Paso (General Mills), Pace (Campbell's), Prego (Campbell's), Ragu(Unilever), Chef Boyardee, Dinty Moore, Stagg(Hormel), Hormel, Franco-American (Campbell's)

~Condiments oils dressings and spreads that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Crisco (Smucker's), Del Monte, Heinz, Hellman's(Unilever), Kraft condiments and dressings, Mazola, Pam (ConAgra), Peter Pan (ConAgra), Skippy (Unilever), Smucker's (except their "Simply 100% Fruit" line of preserves), Wesson (ConAgra), Wish-Bone (Unilever)

~Snack foods that may contain GMO Ingredients:

FritoLay (Lay's, Ruffles, Doritos, Cheetos, Tostitos), Hostess Products (Interstate Brands, )Keebler (Kellogg's,)Kraft (Nabisco, Nilla Wafers, Oreos, Ritz, Nutter Butter, Honey Maid, SnackWells, Teddy Grahams, Wheat Thins, Triscuit), Pepperidge Farm (Campbell's), Pringles, Quaker Oats Company,

Balance Bar, Nature Valley snack bars and granola bars (General Mills), Nabisco Bars (Kraft), PowerBar (Nestle), Quaker Granola Bars

~Candy, chocolate and sweetners that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Hershey's, Nestlé (Crunch, Kit Kat, Smarties), Toblerone (Kraft), Ghiradelli¹s Chocolate, Lifesaver (Kraft)

~Soft drinks, juice, coffee and bevies that may contain GMO Ingredients:

Coca-Cola (Fruitopia, Minute Maid, Hi-C, NESTEA), Hansen Beverage Company, Hawaiian Punch(Procter and Gamble), Kraft (Country Time, Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, Capri Sun, Tang), Libby's(Nestlé), Ocean Spray, Pepsi (Tropicana, Frappuccino, Gatorade, SoBe, Dole), Sunny Delight (Procter and Gamble), Nescafe, Taster’s Choice, Folgers, Maxwell House.

edit on 30-3-2012 by SteelToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

well that list about does it, grow your own or you will be eating GMO everyday somewhere some how.

i plan on growing much of my own this year and canning what i can, hopefully more people will and or can do this.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Star n flag sir great post very informative.

Its pretty frightening how many people have asked me what monsanto is and made no effort to change their diet even after reading reports of organ failure. Not too long ago someone made a post with a long list of monsanto products and since then I have not consumed any of them. Ive lost like 7lbs gained a lot of stamina and find myself able to put more focus in at work. Proof is in the pudding people its your diet or your life.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Excellent work! S&F&

Bump.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Thanks for all the comments.

I know there are a lot of threads about GMO's but most of them always focus on Monsanto only.

While Monsanto's business practices are despicable, these other Companies are no saints.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
That list says MAY contain genetically modified ingredients.

So they aren't sure or what? So do they contain them or not?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Well here's the numbers,

Soy beans : USA 93% GM - World 77% GM

Corn : USA 86% GM - World 26% GM

Tomatoes : USA 80% GM

Hawaiian Papaya: USA 80% GM

Sugar Beet: USA 95% GM - World 9% GM

Canola: USA 93% GM - World 21% GM

Zucchini: USA 13% GM

If it's processed food in the USA, unless it says USDA 100% organic, then the chances are that it contains GMO's. They have to put "may contain" in case companies remove the GMO and file a lawsuit.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Very well thought out and insightful thread, some really great "hands on knowledge" and information on how to even begin to make better choices when we shop. I appreciate your pro-active and solution based "roadmap" on what we can actually influence when "armed" with information and purpose, and what to look for when we shop.

The Video you began this thread with was brilliant, great job warming up the crowd, lol, seriously...it was great intro into a vast pool of eye-opening and important information....well done.....

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Thank you, I'm glad you found the information useful.

Hopefully more people will take notice about what is happening to our food supply.

Maybe we will have a chance to save what's left of nature.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Excellent thread. Thanks for all the info

That atrazine sounds like bad news.

new topics

top topics

join