It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is matter? No one knows.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Don't bother offering a scientific, objective definition, because there isn't one. That's why I put this in the philosophy forum. Which is pretty astonishing when you think about it. We know of 100+ combinations of protons, neutrons, and electrons, we learned that matter is a form of energy, we even defined energy as the ability to do work, but even as we figured out that the spacetime speed limit is 300,000 km/s, we failed to define what matter and energy actually IS.

So what IS it?

That which occupies space and has mass? ... ... okaaay... but what IS it?

Condensed energy? What does that even mean? Condensed 'ability to do work'. That still doesn't describe what it IS.

Physical substance. What IS it? No one knows for sure. I have an idea though. But I'd rather hear yours right now.

edit on 28-3-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Matter and energy are two forms of the same thing. Matter, the solid stuff we "see" and "experience" is merely energy.

You said don't bother with science, well, why open this thread then?

But yeah, you've cracked open a keg for sure, no real answer is going to come, only ideas.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
We know matter is made up of particles and those particles have different charges. We know that those particles can combine to form other elements and seemingly different forms of matter, but in truth, no matter is different than any other matter. It is all the same, just with different charges and different combinations.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
@What is matter?

CREATOR Creations conscious manifestations within the entire collective merging together projecting SENSORY VISUAL - TOUCH response DATA designed from the conscious of ALL* CREATOR Creations contained within a field of ENERGY to interact with, regardless of your dimension or deep space location. If you from 3 species sees a STAR in the same way that they from 10 other species sees a STAR then you all 13 species are collectively interacting consciously --- conscious or subconsciously TO SEE THE SAME THING EVEN IF CALLED DIFFERENT NAMES PER SPECIES.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Matter and energy are two forms of the same thing. Matter, the solid stuff we "see" and "experience" is merely energy.

You said don't bother with science, well, why open this thread then?

But yeah, you've cracked open a keg for sure, no real answer is going to come, only ideas.

I said don't bother with a scientific explanation, because there isn't one. Because no matter what you say, there is no proof yet for what matter is.

You say it is energy, what you are really telling me is that it is the ability to do work. No offense, but I'm just not satisfied with that answer. I don't think saying that it is "energy" fully describes the essence of what it is.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"Relax...What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"
~Homer Simpson

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry
"Relax...What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"
~Homer Simpson

I completely disagree.

There's two things we haven't identified. Consciousness and matter. Perhaps its because we haven't considered that they are the same.
edit on 28-3-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Homer Simpson did say that I promise you...
disagree all you want too he did.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I said don't bother with a scientific explanation, because there isn't one. Because no matter what you say, there is no proof yet for what matter is.

You say it is energy, what you are really telling me is that it is the ability to do work. No offense, but I'm just not satisfied with that answer. I don't think saying that it is "energy" fully describes the essence of what it is.

Inside of all the atoms are vibrating waves/frequencies, this is what they mean when they say "energy" it is the waves or frequencies which is making up all of the matter in the universe. All of the matter is made of wave/frequency/energy. The matter is difference because the speed is slower than pure energy...

Imagine the solid packed molecules of the ice, versus the lose moving molecules of the water, this is like the matter and the energy.

This is the answer from Quantum Physics (Science).

The spiritual people say that the energy or wave or frequency, which ever word you want to use to describe it, has consciousness, it is all awareness.

The thoughts in your brain, are made by one neuron sending bioelectric energy to another. The neurons in your brain talk to each other through energy (bio-electric). So energy is actually something that exist, not just abstract.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry

Homer Simpson did say that I promise you...
disagree all you want too he did.

Oh. Wait. Homer said that? Oh nvm, it must be true.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Inside of all the atoms are vibrating waves/frequencies, this is what they mean when they say "energy" it is the waves or frequencies which is making up all of the matter in the universe. All of the matter is made of wave/frequency/energy. The matter is difference because the speed is slower than pure energy...

Vibrating strings of what?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Form is emptiness.

youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...

Emptiness is form.
edit on 28-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I wanna agree with arpgme and say what we perceive as "matter" is just "energy vibrating at different frequencies. I THINK the faster somthing vibrates, the more physical it appears..i know many think the oppostie but i think of it like a ceiling fan...the faster it spins...the more solid it appears and the less you see the individual blades..

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baddguy

I wanna agree with arpgme and say what we perceive as "matter" is just "energy vibrating at different frequencies. I THINK the faster somthing vibrates, the more physical it appears..i know many think the oppostie but i think of it like a ceiling fan...the faster it spins...the more solid it appears and the less you see the individual blades..

The faster what vibrates?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

The faster "enerygy" vibrates

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

The faster "the ability to do work" vibrates? The ability for what to do work? What is energy? I know it is the ability to do work, but what IS it?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The faster "the ability to do work" vibrates? The ability for what to do work? What is energy? I know it is the ability to do work, but what IS it?

If you ask me i would say "energy is the potential to do work or work being done" or i would say energy is an "idea"

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It is you that matters. I am that I am.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

You are taking the word "energy" and giving it the definition from Newtonian Physics and trying to apply it to Quantum Physics which uses the same word but with a different meaning. Energy does not mean "the ability to do something" in the quantum world. Energy is actually something that exist, the pure essence or vibrating waves or frequencies that exists in all things.

Before you ask, the vibrating waves / frequencies are not made out of anything. This is the manifestation of potential sort of like how atoms can be in super position, many places at once energetically but then it only takes one place once it is manifested in reality as measured.

For more information on what "energy" actually is, as an existent thing, you should check out Quantum Field Theory and Zero-Point Energy / Vacuum Energy.
edit on 28-3-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

would it makes sense if i said "energy is the manifestation of an idea"???

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join