It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Lovers Please Read

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
hello ATS. coming up on 2 years memberhood and i finally had a vision for my first thread. hope you enjoy.

im a pet-owner (2 dogs,1 useless cat) and i have started to think more about their health lately, so i began a light investigation regarding how crappy nutritionally pet foods can be. id heard some of the more commercially available/popular brands might not be the greatest, and i want to do what i can for these three lives that im basically in charge of.

i ran a rudimentary experiment by upgrading the dog food, and im noticing marked improvements. this got me thinking about these threads illustrating pretty clearly how were all slowly being poisoned by our own food and environment strictly for the wallet-fattening effects it has on the Medical Industrial Complex. my question for your consideration is: do you think this conspiracy extends to our pets? ie. could THEIR food be designed to cause problems so that demand for veterinary care is kept high?

thanks everyone in advance for responses and opinions

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Hello and welcome! you are correct about dog food. Here is a piece of info I found on this and also would like to add I have friends who would never feed dogs from a bag.

Your dog is a wild animal that has been domesticated (some more than others). And, as with humans, any species' best diet is its native one. And a dog's native diet? MEAT. Additionally, many would attest that raw meat is optimal. Unlike humans, dogs are not generally susceptible to things like salmonella and e-coli. You and I might regularly eat raw meat if our systems could handle it - but we need to cook our meat to kill the bacteria that have the potential to devastate our digestive systems.

here is the link

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Most definitely!

These companies really don't care about the quality of the product... Just the black bottom line.

I am a strong believer in the raw food diet for my Beagle.
That being said... Lately I have been looking at a vegetarian diet for my little dog.

As long as he gets all the nutrients that he needs and remains healthy, then I am happy

When you make your meals, you know whats gone into it and where it came from.
That can't be said about store bought premade food.
Take it a step further if you can, grow the food so that you then know the quality of it inside and out.
edit on 28/3/2012 by Sovaka because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
RIce and lamb
or rice and chicken sound yummy!

an after-meal dry kibble is still beneficial for the teeth unless u brush after meals, though.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Welcome
Why is your cat useless, pet lover?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

im just kidding of course. shes real sweet most of the time. ive started giving her soft food along with her dry and its made her an addict. always screaming for it. wonder what addictive substances they put in that stuff.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I started using a holistic-minded vet for my cat a year ago. She told me that vets refer to Fancy Feast as crack for cats since once you give it to them, it's hard to get them off and its not nutritionally adequate. She told me to look for food with rabbit in it.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I have two big dogs and have found feeding them a certain high end dog food with limited ingredients really does cut down on their shedding and eliminated their non flea related scratching. At about $60 a bag that last

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster

Great call on the dog food. The first few ingredients in your average dog foods are dismal. Mostly a grain, corn or by-product (aka beaks, feathers, claws, you name it) and has little to no nutritional value whatsoever. It's practically just saw dust filler that make your pets tummy feel full :/ And that's not even getting into dyes and additives.

edit on 28-3-2012 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilovemygreatdanes

Great username, I have a great dane trying to climb in my lap as I type this xD Excellent dogs. If it were up to them I think they would just eat socks all day.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Thescripter

Ha XD I have one next to me stealing the whole couch! They're the best

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hi all ATS pet lovers!

I am also concerned about the poor quality (as well as the price) of commercial pet foods and treats. There was a thread just last week that jerky treats imported from China were responsible for many recent dog deaths. All the more reason to make your own, so that you can be absolutely certain that you're giving your beloved pets good healthful and safe nutrition! I have included a link for those who are interested in some pet food cookbooks that include recipes for dogs and cats, to include wet food, kibble, treats and jerky. Enjoy!

link
edit on 3/28/2012 by 1yearning2bfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Can someone get ahold of a list of brands in the store that are acceptable for our dogs? I understand growing your own food for them is best, but some of us dont have the time/ land or otherwise to do such. I dont mind spending a little extra to make sure Im buying the right stuff. There has to be food for them at the store that is going to be good for them.. Itcant all be bad, right?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
It is frightening to really know what is in commercial pet food. I have a nice tally of experience behind me with struggling with my over-sensitive cat. I posted a thread some time ago on her experience and how a wet and predominantly raw food diet brought about an almost overnight miracle cure to all her ailments:

The pet food industry conspiracy and Candy's tale

I swear by raw food. But not any raw food. It has to be BARF-prepared food - "Biologically Appropriate Raw Fed", meaning that the raw food is prepared and served in such a manner as to simulate a complete and nature-appropriate diet.

Kudos for wanting to do the best for your pets!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
hello ATS. coming up on 2 years memberhood and i finally had a vision for my first thread. hope you enjoy.

im a pet-owner (2 dogs,1 useless cat) and i have started to think more about their health lately, so i began a light investigation regarding how crappy nutritionally pet foods can be. id heard some of the more commercially available/popular brands might not be the greatest, and i want to do what i can for these three lives that im basically in charge of.

i ran a rudimentary experiment by upgrading the dog food, and im noticing marked improvements. this got me thinking about these threads illustrating pretty clearly how were all slowly being poisoned by our own food and environment strictly for the wallet-fattening effects it has on the Medical Industrial Complex. my question for your consideration is: do you think this conspiracy extends to our pets? ie. could THEIR food be designed to cause problems so that demand for veterinary care is kept high?

thanks everyone in advance for responses and opinions

I read your OP and chose not to read any of the other posts. I lost my friend Buster, who was an AKC registered pure breed Rottie in 2007. I had to put Buster down after learning he was suffering from Bone Cancer, he was only 6 years old. My champion Rottie turned to skin and bones from a very healthy 140 lb. lad just months earlier while on ALPO products (I'm in court with them now) and began bleeding from his back. After learning of a recall on pet food from Alpo, I ceased feeding this to my friend. I later found out that Alpo/Purina had extremely dangerous chemicals in their food. The guilt I feel will never ever go away. I was so traumatized, that when I searched for another friend, I couldn't even bare looking at Rottweilers...I had to choose another breed all together for the first time in 18 years.

I now have two pit bulls one CHAKO (4 & 1/2 years old)(APBT/American Pit Bull Terrier) and a ST (Staffordshire Terrier) named Shattas (7 years old) and I feed them both only Solid Gold/Wolf Brand (which contains now Bison, used to be Wild Salmon). This is my first time owning Pits, and they seem to take well to their diet. I mix their food with Basmati/Jasmine Rice and the occasional raw meats such as beef, cooked fish and organic boiled chicken, plus organic veggies. They are vibrant and very healthy. Attitudes are great except for one "Chako" who excessively barks"

Just as with my entire family, I had to take their diet into my own hands to avoid cancer, so I decided not to trust most brands. Eukanuba and all Purina brands are the worst for all dogs. It is my opinion and experience, that unless you prepare your animals food, or obtain from an organically recognized source, it's all just crap!

We have to protect our canines and other animal friends and provide them with the best diet possible and that includes researching what they need just like we do for ourselves.

Thank you OP for a wonderful post

Shattas

Chako

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Your pittbulls are awesome.
I love that breed. But I live in Ontario. They got a bad rep here and are banned in this province.
I got a Lab/Rott mix instead. He's only 3 months I can already say that he's gonna be one of the best dogs I've ever had.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

edit on 28-3-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

my question for your consideration is: do you think this conspiracy extends to our pets? ie. could THEIR food be designed to cause problems so that demand for veterinary care is kept high?

hi there.... yes i think it most definitely is.... i worked in 3 different vet practices for 2/3 yrs about 3 yrs ago.... and ive over heard many a thing being said by some of the less 'animal lover' vets.... some of the vet food that is sold in the practices are incredibly harmful to your animal/s.... brands like; purina, iams, james wellbeloved, and a couple more that i cant remember now.... but i will try and find a list for you, i should have on somewhere....

i have had many dogs over the years and have always fed them, the best possible food i can grow/buy or source.... at the moment i feed my dog on a working dogs food which is just a basic museli and has the lowest amount of rubbish in it i.e, low ash content, low crude oil & fats content, low meat and animal derivative content and of course low additives content... i dont know if all of you live in the USA so im not sure whether they would have this food type over there.... but lately ive noticed that the crappy contents of this dog food i buy have been increased... and also the number of additives in the food has also increased... and again i do believe that this is being done not to harm pets, but to maybe make them feel not a 100% .... so then the owner will take them to vets and get charged a helluva lot for the consultation, as usually the pet is fine but has a funny tummy....

but along with the dog food, i also give my dog 2 raw eggs in his food once a week - keeps his coat looking shiny and healthy, every 2-3 weeks he will get a really nice bit of steak/meat - either from a friend who has their own cows or my local butcher who uses locally sourced cattle that i know are treated kindly.... he also gets a bit of fish every month or so, a bit of olive oil now and again and in high summer he gets raw garlic.... its a great help for keeping away biting insects, especially ticks !!!!
hes also a massive fan of vegetables, so when im making food he'll get a bit of raw carrot or something like that...

i now only have one dog... hes a black labrador dog called Blake who is now nearly 8yrs old come early july....
and i love him to bits, hes a fantastic dog and i wouldnt want him to come to any harm, so i feel its incredibly important that i, as his owner feed him the best of the best... i feed myself the best of the best, so why not him aswell ? i wouldnt want him to suffer at all.... and hes such a happy chappy !!

Blake - here he is on a beach in scotland

happy dayz to all thee pet lovers and pets themselves

"I used to look at my dog and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'"
- Fred Jung Claus
edit on 28-3-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
You have a useless cat?

Is it not cute and cuddly? Does it not bring joy to your wife and kids? Does it not give your dogs exercise? I don't think your cat is useless.

Many symptoms of disease for animals are directly related to food as any vet will admit. Soft cat food will cause a cats teeth to rot and fall out. Too much dry food will constipate them and cause all number of bowel and stomach problems. Is the food designed to do this to cause higher vet bills?

I don't think so.. it's like Supersize Me, the movie - eat or feed your pet the same stuff day in and day out without varying it's nutrition and yes, your gonna have problems. Pets were not designed to always eat the same processed foods just as we are not designed to eat McDonnalds every day.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Everything or everything containing
Products from china is deadly.snacks toys treats all of it.For Out two lg GSD'sand out budget we get 10 lbs of chicken legs 1/4'sa week,cook and debone them and mix with a highest quality we can afford dry meat based food.Its worked wonders and the 10 lbs of chicken we get on sale for less than 6$ a week .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join