It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author of Stand Your Ground Law: "Zimmerman should be arrested"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

(CBS/AP) SANFORD, Fla. - The authors of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" self-defense law say George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for shooting Trayvon Martin, reports the Miami Herald.

It is the fact that Zimmerman ignored the 911 operator's advice not to follow Martin that former Sen. Peaden says disqualifies him from claiming self-defense under the law.

Source

So now we have the author of the bill coming out and saying that George Zimmerman should be arrested for ignoring the instructions given to him by the 911 operator.

The fact that he IGNORED the instructions that he was given, followed Trayvon Martin and then shot him should be evidence enough to have him arrested. The fact that charges have not even been filed is outrageous. People should stop trying to make this into a race issue, when it's more of a trigger happy individual shooting an unarmed person just for walking down the street.

So now we have evidence of Zimmerman ignoring the instructions of the 911, stalking Martin and that resulted in Martin being shot and killed.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

(CBS/AP) SANFORD, Fla. - The authors of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" self-defense law say George Zimmerman should probably be arrested for shooting Trayvon Martin, reports the Miami Herald.

Probably, being the keyword here. Sounds like a story created to rile people up.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
S&F for you.

Damn right he should have been arrested on the spot.
But on this site...99 out of 100 responses will be about how you are a racist for not defending Zimmerman.
I'll be surprised if your thread is not closed.

You're not alone just greatly outnumbered by less than cogent thinkers.
edit on 25-3-2012 by ziggystrange because: Typo repair

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well, I'm glad the bill sponsors added their expertise on the intention of the bill. Perhaps, pressure will be exerted so that this man is arrested.

It is the fact that Zimmerman ignored the 911 operator's advice not to follow Martin that former Sen. Peaden says disqualifies him from claiming self-defense under the law.

"The guy lost his defense right then," Peaden told the Miami Herald. "When he said 'I'm following him,' he lost his defense."

Rep. Dennis Baxley, Peaden's co-sponsor in the Florida House, agrees with his former colleague, telling the newspaper that the law does not license neighborhood watch or others who feel "like they have the authority to pursue and confront people. That is aggravating an incident right there."

I had a neighbor who was big on the neighborhood watch program. You would think she was deputy sheriff. She had the police department on her speed dial. The neighborhood rejoiced when she moved. Biggest busybody I ever met. I imagine the shooter might have a similar personality or hero complex.
edit on 3/25/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: brain fart

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Saidin

The fact that he decided to ignore the 911 Operator and followed Martin disqualifies him from claiming self defense.

So if he shot Martin and it wasn't in self defense why has Zimmerman not been arrested yet?

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Saidin

The fact that he decided to ignore the 911 Operator and followed Martin disqualifies him from claiming self defense.

So if he shot Martin and it wasn't in self defense why has Zimmerman not been arrested yet?

Good question. Perhaps the police are reluctant to as he is an active participate in a program they sponsor to reduce crime. No excuse, but it could be a good old boy consideration.

Give it a few minutes. The experts will be here to answer your question fully.
edit on 3/25/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

You're right we have so many arm-chair lawyers on this site

If it's just a "good ole boy" thing then they also need to go after the Police Chief for not doing his job and not arresting a trigger happy murderer
edit on 3/25/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

All I was saying is the article seems unnecessary. Using the word probably right before the main point of the article makes it seem completely pointless. Anyone and everyone could say that and be correct, his standing as the author doesn't make it anymore insightful, since all the facts aren't there.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Source

So now we have the author of the bill coming out and saying that George Zimmerman should be arrested for ignoring the instructions given to him by the 911 operator.

The fact that he IGNORED the instructions that he was given, followed Trayvon Martin and then shot him should be evidence enough to have him arrested. The fact that charges have not even been filed is outrageous. People should stop trying to make this into a race issue, when it's more of a trigger happy individual shooting an unarmed person just for walking down the street.

So now we have evidence of Zimmerman ignoring the instructions of the 911, stalking Martin and that resulted in Martin being shot and killed.

Hey Muse... good post as good information regarding this issue, made explosive by the media who have misreported a lot of facts since the beginning.

However, lets please correct the opening statement, I cut and paste what the Senator said in your source article:

" should probably be arrested " was the Senator's comment and the lead in this post is "should be arrested" which do not say the same thing.

I would suggest the Senator was simply voicing his personal opinion in regards to the law he had sponsored and the issue.
I also suggest the Senator was performing the standard two step CYA as the Senator recognizes he has no legal jurisdiction and his opinion has 'no' legal value in regards to determining the need for Mr. Zimmerman to be brought before a court of law.
And in fact and a little misleading to this point, the Senator's law may 'not' be the determining factor in the decision of the grand jury or the courts.
The young man's death and the loss of any innocent life is always a sad happening.
The question now becomes what is the truth and given the information I read was provided by the Sanford police department, this is not an open and shut case and it will be up to the grand jury to decide if there is a legal need to prosecute Mr. Zimmerman.
Again, a sad loss, but I'll reserve judgement until Mr. Zimmerman has his before the grand jury, who will determine if there are grounds and a necessity to procede in to an opinion by the courts.
I have NO trust in the court of the media and of public opinion.

Gave ya a flag and I'll keep watch.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saidin
reply to post by muse7

All I was saying is the article seems unnecessary. Using the word probably right before the main point of the article makes it seem completely pointless. Anyone and everyone could say that and be correct, his standing as the author doesn't make it anymore insightful, since all the facts aren't there.

Adding this one idea:

This makes a huge difference, especially that the claim is made by the authors of the bill/law. If he was using the law to claim self-defense, now TPTB have to charge him for murder as he voided his right to protection by the law when ignoring the advice of the 911 call. Unless there is something that has not been disclosed....

Perhaps he said "probably" in typical politician style to cover his butt.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I guess what I mean is, people were already saying exactly what the author said, before this article came out. So it's nothing new, and since he isn't privy to anymore information than the rest of us, it is redundant, and only serves to perpetuate the social issue. He isn't confirming anything, since we already know for a fact Zimmerman continued to pursue.

After that moment is a bunch of unknowns that everyone can only speculate on, bill author included. Point being, if he found out there was a witness, or security camera or something that showed Zimmerman getting jumped, he'd revert that real fast. And so would most people not racially motivated by the subject.

Hopefully we find out what happens from the trial. Including why Zimmerman wasn't arrested, or at least had his clothes/weapon taken for a possible investigation. But a bunch of filler articles won't bring any of those answers.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Saidin

Ok, I catch your drift now. I sure don't understand the laws in Florida so I have many questions about why Zimmy walks when he was pursuing Martin.

My nephew is a lawyer in Tampa, Florida who posted this on his facebook:

trayvon martin's death reeks of criminal murder

I put more stock in his opinion than any of the armchair experts on ATS.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Breaking news video;

Trayvon Martin Investigator Wanted Manslaughter Charge

abcnews.go.com...

The lead homicide investigator in the shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin recommended that neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter the night of the shooting, multiple sources told ABC News.

But Sanford, Fla., Investigator Chris Serino was instructed to not press charges against Zimmerman because the state attorney's office headed by Norman Wolfinger determined there wasn't enough evidence to lead to a conviction, the sources told ABC News.

Watch the video for newly released details.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
True or not - - not sure if its fact.

From Talk Radio call ins - - - about a week ago.

There are so many Stand Your Ground defense cases in this area - - - police no longer investigate them - - - but send them straight to the District Attorney.

Who's desk is so full - - - he discourages any new cases.

new topics

top topics

join