It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
So i was thinking. I have read numerous posts on here and a lot on the net about what's outside of the universe. I know about all of the multiverse theories and such but I believ.e that the universe folds back in on its self so like a lot of y'all I am left to ponder the age old question what is past the edge??? Even if you perceive the universe as a multiverse there still has to be something beyond the edge right?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Who the hell knows... Probably a giant alien probe.

In all seriousness though its probably got to have something to do with time or space... I don't think there is an edge but only spaces between spaces and maybe time has something to do with linking.. I don't know, its really beyond human understanding at the moment.
edit on 3/22/2012 by CommandoRenegade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommandoRenegade
Who the hell knows... Probably a giant alien probe.

In all seriousness though its probably got to have something to do with time or space... I don't think there is an edge but only spaces between spaces and maybe time has something to do with linking.. I don't know, its really beyond human understanding at the moment.

Right the whole "time" thing screws me up and I a fricking electrical engineer. Time is something that our feeble minds will never figure out if it even exists. On the subject space in between spaces means more space so does that mean infinity and how do you explain infinity? More space? More time? That is a brain killer.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by swampcricket

There is not really any good theories out there... I mean as far as we know there could be possibly an infinite amount of galaxies out there. But there most be some logical explanation out there... or maybe there isn't. Maybe its some magical thing.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
There is no real logical explanation and it kills me. I just want a straight answer lol.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Haha I know the feeling. But maybe we shouldn't be looking for a logical answer... It sounds crazy but think about it. Maybe its something that isn't logical at all but makes perfect sense. Sort of like a god. A creation god isn't at all a logical answer to why things are the way they are, more specifically a scientific explanation to how things work, but makes perfect sense in that maybe that's the answer to all our questions. I personally am not religious but hey maybe something like that could be the answer. Something that isn't exactly logical but something that makes sense to why things are the way they are.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) has confirmed that the universe is flat with only a 0.5% margin of error.Or in other words it doesnt curve back in on itself so there is nothing outside the universe itself. An interesting article i read somewhere was explaining how big bangs constantly occur in the universe. In physics there's something called a virtual particle. They pop in and out of existence and as we know the universe continues to accelerate these particles pop into existence but do to expansion of space time dont pop back out again but get stuck. So the irony of this may mean the universe is made of nothing.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
If only we knew, but space is truly a mysterious and wonderous place. Who knows what kind of secrets and amazing things it holds, maybe one day we will find out.

It really is above human comprehension, it's truly puzzling and mind-boggling to think about the scale of space compared to what we are accustomed to. But it's also beautiful in its own way, it's a mystery, yet magical.

I believe that space is like our imagination, it has no walls, it has no bounds, yet is real.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) has confirmed that the universe is flat with only a 0.5% margin of error.Or in other words it doesnt curve back in on itself so there is nothing outside the universe itself. An interesting article i read somewhere was explaining how big bangs constantly occur in the universe. In physics there's something called a virtual particle. They pop in and out of existence and as we know the universe continues to accelerate these particles pop into existence but do to expansion of space time dont pop back out again but get stuck. So the irony of this may mean the universe is made of nothing.

So what your saying is that if there was a door at the end of the universe and you opened it there would be nothing there? Gotta be something even if it's itself right?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Alongside the multiverse theory, i like to think that the "emptiness" in between each universe could simply be a lack of time.

If time ceases to exist, nothing can manifest from it. That includes all kinds of matter, including light, sound, etc. Without time everything would cease to exist. For example, if you planted a seed and removed what we like to call "time", the plant would never grow.

But seeing as time is relative, assuming it exists throughout the "whole" multiverse spectrum at every point, it could be safe to say that time has become so astronomically slow outside of each universe that nothing will ever manifest in the void between each universe, which also makes it impossible to physically travel from one universe to another.

This is more or less a personal understanding that seems logical to me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

We probably will never know, at least not some time soon. But just thinking semi-logically, I firmly believe at the highest order of things time must be infinite. That said I see no reason why space can not also be infinite. Not to say our particular universe is infinite, but at its highest order I see no reason why if time is infinite space can't be as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Perhaps, at the very edge of the universe, we will bump into an enormous glass panel that represents the edge of the slide panel that sits beneath a microscope....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The only logical definition of the edge of the universe, would be a transition into absolute nothing.
It is outside all causality and even attempting to define it arrises paradox.
The 3rd law of thermodynamics would suggest it is a 'region' of infinite disorder.
I would imagine one way to look at this edge, would be that which is beyond the causality of the big bang.
With black holes (kind of the opposite) there is the no-hair theorem where the are only 3 observable properties. I would think the 'edge' of the universe has no properties to be discussed mathematically, and certainly not with words. Perhaps it can only be described in terms of what it is not.

Maybe the edge of the universe is equivalent to the event horizon of the big bang.
edit on 23-3-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345
The only logical definition of the edge of the universe, would be a transition into absolute nothing.
It is outside all causality and even attempting to define it arrises paradox.
The 3rd law of thermodynamics would suggest it is a 'region' of infinite disorder.
I would imagine one way to look at this edge, would be that which is beyond the causality of the big bang.
With black holes (kind of the opposite) there is the no-hair theorem where the are only 3 observable properties. I would think the 'edge' of the universe has no properties to be discussed mathematically, and certainly not with words. Perhaps it can only be described in terms of what it is not.

Maybe the edge of the universe is equivalent to the event horizon of the big bang.
edit on 23-3-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

I see what you are saying but the big bang had to expand somewhere. So therein lies the paradox.

So was the big bang not the big bang at all but the big envelopment?

edit on 09/19/2005 by swampcricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Here is a question. What if the universe is really just a region inside of an extremely supermassive black hole that was created from the remnents of an extremely supermassive, supernova (big bang)?

-saige-

edit on 23-3-2012 by saige45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Uni = 1

The Moon is 400 x closer to Earth than the Sun

The Sun is 400 x bigger than the Moon

Thus both appear the same size in the sky

Humans never see the Moon rotate, because it rotates exactly with Earth

Coincidence? No....most likely highly sophisticated projection technology thousands if not millions of year old. Don't think it cant happen. How else would they signal batman?

edit on 25-3-2012 by holywar666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I will give you the answer, but you won't like it, and likely won't believe it.

The question, what's past the edge?

The answer, there is no edge.

The universe has no center because a center can only be determined by the outer edges, there are no outer edges because the universe is infinite, limitless, no end, I am aware this is not a popular belief among leading quantum physicists but it is the truth, take it as you will.

top topics

join