It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A potential solution for illegal immigration?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Had a bit of a thought.
I don't mind Mexicans..good people, hard workers..fun culture..good food.
Whats not to like.

So, when you consider the negative side, illegal immigration into the US (I am sitting in the US), we should ask, well, why are they illegal?
Long story short...they don't pay taxes, This causes a burden on our social services, which in turn hurts the state.
Also since they are illegal, people can hire them for less than minimum wage for jobs.

So, why not simply make them work for states to become legal, and get them on the books?

__

I have a thought of a program (call it the -its not a dream, its work- act). Short example ahead:

Mark and Sarah, both mexicans, fled their country for a better life to the north.
They trudged through the desert and eventually got across the line..
Finally they came up to a small town, where they spotted a spanish sign that said "Immigration Integration".
Curious, Mark went up. After a hour, Came back to Sarah a bit excited. He had some pamphlets and said that they only need to go to this course that gives them a job, a place to stay, and teaches them english. They have to commit for an entire year though and could be shipped out anywhere in the US, but after that year, they are full citizens, will have some money, will know the language, and can properly plan for a new life together.

Meanwhile, the next block bid is about a week away. State reps bid on immigration "blocks" to ship in to their state to do state duties, such as cleaning roads, trimming trees, lawn maintenance, or whatever useful skills any immigrant brings to the table. In return, they pay each one minimum wage, gives them temp housing (Granted, its not much better than a ghetto, but its temp and it has what is needed to survive), and daily courses on English language, and other basic requirements for citizenship.

Mark spent most of the following year on a road repair crew. Sarah, whom already had some education behind her, decided to spend her nights furthering her career and started a path on nursing. The crunch courses allowed her to attain a RN status quickly in exchange for working for the state in clinics for a year longer. She would only make about half of what another RN would make during that time, but it was a great opportunity for free education and a good career.

problem - solution.
Such a program would save states money by replacing state workers (4 guys holding a sign at 25$ an hour) with minimum wage workers, and bring in and train taxable productive workers. Also, it would spread immigration around to where concentration is not an issue and give a viable and even desirable path towards citizenship.

I wonder what the numbers would be. I suspect savings and eventually a net profit for the state (with taxes from a documented worker once completed the year long citizen work camp thing) and might be a good compromise.

Better than what we have now anyhow...which is..nothing.

Last thought: So...What would Jesus do?
edit on 21-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: added a thing at the end.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

So, why not simply make them work for states to become legal, and get them on the books?

__

Because we cant afford to pay them "real" wages.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Heres my idea, the State of Texas no longer recognizes the Government as being a Constitutional Republic and Secedes. Texas adopts original version of US constitution, while encouraging other states to follow it's lead. Marijuana is Legalized. Illegals are deported. People are welcomed to join the state of Texas as well as other states. Those migrated citizens who take an oath to have citizenship are given a rifle to help defend the interests of the Constitutional Republic.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
Heres my idea, the State of Texas no longer recognizes the Government as being a Constitutional Republic and Secedes. Texas adopts original version of US constitution, while encouraging other states to follow it's lead. Marijuana is Legalized. Illegals are deported. People are welcomed to join the state of Texas as well as other states. Those migrated citizens who take an oath to have citizenship are given a rifle to help defend the interests of the Constitutional Republic.

Sure it sounds great, but who really wants to call themselves a Texan?

Seriously, the state of Texas has some image issues.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

If one of the strongest economies in the world is a problem and enough guns to outfit the entire chinese army is a problem, then don't come to Texas.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Here's a solution for you to ponder and I think it would work excellent.............ENFORCE OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS!

Problem solved!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

__

Then we can't afford to pay 5 times the amount of "real" wages either

We have state workers making tons of money
replace them with immigrants making minimum wage

See..you present a problem...and voila...a solution..state saves money.

Your not reading this, are you.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Actually.
If Texas left the union...wouldn't anyone outside of texas coming in be considered illegal...even if it was some dude from arkansas?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

__

So your solution is to take away jobs from Americans and give them to the Mexicans?

I thought THIS WAS part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think RP has touched up on this issue many times during a debate. Pull the troops out of the middle east and instead of watching the boarders in Pakistan and Afghanistan we can use them here. So yeah enforcing the boarders and using the military to do so is a great idea. Camp Pendleton could be the HQ for the California boarder, MCAS Yuma can be for the Arizona Boarder, and so on...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think if they adopted the original US Constitution it would have to implement a new Federal Government. Other states would be free to join, but yes there would be a process of taking oaths from each state and possibly citizens. Im not an expert though, just an idea I've had in my head.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

My step-dad is a union card carrying republican that believes Texas is the best place on earth. If you need an example of confused politics I think it is birthed in that state. Nuff said.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Why discuss a potential, I have a definite solution.
Enforce the laws.
I don't see how this is an issue, it is black and white.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

If one of the strongest economies in the world is a problem and enough guns to outfit the entire chinese army is a problem, then don't come to Texas.

Man...what nonsense
heres the facts about Texas currently:

36th :: Texas
Debt per capita: $8,711 (36th)
Unemployment rate: 8.3% (24th)
Home price change (2006-2009): 10.4% (16th)
Median household income: $48,259 (25th)

The second most populous state in the nation, Texas scores fairly average in most categories. But there are two areas where Texas places dead last. The Lone Star State has the lowest percentage of its 25 and older population with a high school diploma -- one in every five fails to obtain a high school education. Also, 23.8% of its population does not have health insurance, the worst rate in the country.

So, average economy (when compared to the average in US States)..but the worst education and 1/4th without any health insurance.
That is a drain on resources..person without health insurance cannot get preventative care..so instead of a free checkup and some meds to clear up a minor issue, the state flips the bill for doing major surgery when the dude is collapsed in the road.

I would explain how paying for the major surgery and perhaps ICU is more than the preventative checkup..but, meh...Texas..not known for their education..math isn't their strong suit.

Best to know the facts before claiming something on this hurr intertubes.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Gladly. Keep your crappy chili beans... lol.

Seriously, Texas does have cash but New Mexico has better food.

But I can see where one day states in our union (I love that part of US history, you know the union part?). will seperate and become independant.

If any state could do it, it would be Texas.

But from there, I could see other states invading eatchother, civil war and the like.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

__

So your solution is to take away jobs from Americans and give them to the Mexicans?

I thought THIS WAS part of the problem.

No, the problem is Mexicans are taking away jobs from Americans
My solution is...lets then make them Americans...then you can't say Mexicans are taking away jobs from Americans.

And they pay taxes

What...you don't think tax paying Americans should have jobs? why? cause they are brown?
edit on 21-3-2012 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Agreed with those who say enforce the existing laws.

But if those laws are so inept that they cannot stop the incessant flood of illegals from washing in and parasiting off the US and its citizens, we could always landmine the border.

Bet that would stop them.
edit on 3/21/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

We also currently have a large problem with illegals here. So that might be the problem you are seeing with your figures.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

No, the problem is Mexicans are taking away jobs from Americans

They are not taken, they are given. And who is giving them these jobs?

Your fellow shiesty Americans.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
You know, as a legal immigrant I am repulsed. Not by the criminal illegals but by the so-called politicians and so-called Americans willing to just allow millions of criminals stay in their country while their own countrymen are as a result of this criminal activity, unemployed, unemployable,hungry, and homeless.

Shame on you Americans for letting your own people down .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join