It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New spectacular photo of globular cluster Messier 9

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has produced the so far most detailed image so far of Messier 9, a globular star cluster located close to the centre of the galaxy. This ball of stars is too faint to see with the naked eye, yet Hubble can see over 250 000 individual stars shining in it.

Read the full paper here

This image from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope shows the globular cluster Messier 9. Hubble’s image resolves stars right into the centre of the cluster, and clearly shows they have different colours. Redder colours signify lower surface temperatures, while blue stars are extremely hot. (Credit: NASA & ESA)

See also the full hi-res photo here. Very spectacular indeed!!

edit on 17-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This has to be one of the prettiest space pics I've seen on here so far...and space pics never fail to impress.
Thanx for sharing S&F

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Dazzling!

This image just pulls you there like you're floating in front of it in space. What breathtaking beauty!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
pictures like these to me erase all doupt they we could be alone in the universe

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Imagine how cool looking up at the night sky would be from a planet circling one of those stars... I wonder if there would even be a night time or just a bunch of bright light. So cool.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
and to think that most of those stars have planets orbiting around them

yet some people still think we're alone in the universe

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Holy crap that's a lot of pretty light. I wonder how far apart they really are from each other. Looks like one could be a mile away from the other haha. That would be awesome to see a star collide with another star.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
What a termendous number of stars! Some societys/religions believe that we become stars in the universe. Maybe I could only speculate. My thoughts come back to Dr Carl Sagan and his "Billions and Billions of stars" comment, the mathematical probabilities of other races existing and how we could assume we would be average at best in our advancement. We need to be out there exploring just like the sci-fi world has been plugging for years. The problems holding us back may be more about fighting governments than available technology.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by anthbes
Imagine how cool looking up at the night sky would be from a planet circling one of those stars... I wonder if there would even be a night time or just a bunch of bright light. So cool.

Yeah imagine living on a planet orbiting one of the stars near the center of the Milky Way. I'd compare it to nighttime in New York as compared to nighttime here in West Texas

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Grand universe!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks guys!

Here's how M9 appears from various telescopes and viewers:

0.9-m telescope of KPNO

Ritchey-Chretien 32" Telescope, Focal Ratio: f7.2 (prime focus), Camera: SBIG STL-11000 CCD camera, Exposure: 14 x 1 minutes Luminance unbinned and 6 x 1 minutes each R/G/B, all unbinned.

Source: Misti Mountain observatory

30-second red-light exposure (through clouds) with a Tektronix 2048x2048 CCD at the prime focus of the 4-meter Mayall telescope of Kitt Peak National Observatory.

Source: Messier Observatory

Digitized Sky Survey 2 shows a wide-field view of globular cluster Messier 9 and its surroundings, imaged by a ground-based telescope

Source: spacetelescope.org

....to compare with the one in my first post above!
edit on 17-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

That HD picture from the link almost looks 3D too..very nice

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thats a very nice picture

But i actually hate it, cause i so much want to go there, and i know i will never be able to

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Thats a very nice picture

But i actually hate it, cause i so much want to go there, and i know i will never be able to

Well, you never know, life is full of surprises sometimes!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yep were definitely alone in the universe

I mean whats the point of all that and nobody to experience/see/enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
and to think that most of those stars have planets orbiting around them

yet some people still think we're alone in the universe

There is no proof they are all stars. More likely they are planets with moons. I have yet to see proof that even our nearest neighbouring 'stars' are really stars. Check out this free book:
astronomyinformation.org...

top topics

join