It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in Poland!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Today at afternoon CET there was an earthquake in northern and northeastern Poland, the Russian Calinigrad Province and Lithuania. The earthquake was a 4-grades (Richter scale) quake, but a guy who lives in the area of earthquake says when he was playing computer games the earth suddenly started to shaked and the desk started to do so as well along with the earth. The monitor flew out of his desk and he luckily managed to catch it.
The Polish Press Agency says there are now people dead, no wounded and no material losses.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As far as i know its quite unusual for earthquakes to happen in Poland (I think)

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bacterial
As far as i know its quite unusual for earthquakes to happen in Poland (I think)

Of course it is unusual
Natural earthquakes happen only on the boundaries of the litoshpere's boards;
that earthquake may have been caused by a Russian nuclear test

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here's a link,
earthquake.usgs.gov...

A moderate earthquake occurred at 13:32:30 (UTC) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004. The magnitude 5.0 event has been located in the RUSSIA-POLAND BORDER REGION. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
we are really astonished by these events.We are not shocked because it was too strange.This earthquake happened in northern Poland near the sea.At hte first there were some rumors that it was caused by some kind of explosion in russian kaliningrad zone.

It was the strongest eartquake happened in Poland.There were some small earthquakes sometimes but all of them were very very light - most of them were only registrated by sophisticated machines.

[edit on 22-9-2004 by gattaca]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
What is really strange is how shallow it was.
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program

Kinda fishy, the one in Japan today is 111 km deep.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gattaca
It was the strongest eartquake happened in Poland.There were some small earthquakes sometimes but all of them were very very light - most of them were only registrated by sophisticated machines.

[edit on 22-9-2004 by gattaca]

earlier Poland was mostly just feeling the stronger earthquakes from Mediterrean countries like the Italian 1976 quake. This quake really seems to have had the epicentre in the Kalinigrad Zone - at first I heard the epicentre was the Baltic Sea

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It was apparently felt here in scandinavia as well.
I didn�t feel a thing but people 4-8km away from me claim they did.

ʹm no expert but is it probable that we will have more quakes soon after this? I�m a firm believer that mother earth is going through some serious changes and have actually waited for something like this to happen around here.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dawnaj
It was apparently felt here in scandinavia as well.
I didn�t feel a thing but people 4-8km away from me claim they did.

ʹm no expert but is it probable that we will have more quakes soon after this? I�m a firm believer that mother earth is going through some serious changes and have actually waited for something like this to happen around here.

the Polish TVN television say the Scandinavian litosphere plate is lifting itself and it was at a bang with another litosphere plate; this is said to be the cause of the quake; as Scandinavia will in the future tend to lift as well more quakes can be expected

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Is this the first earthquake that has happened in Poland?

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

the Polish TVN television say the Scandinavian litosphere plate is lifting itself and it was at a bang with another litosphere plate; this is said to be the cause of the quake; as Scandinavia will in the future tend to lift as well more quakes can be expected

That was interesting
, read nothing in Swedish media about that. However articles said that this was the largest quake on the richter scale for this area in 100 years. So it has happened before.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dawnaj

However articles said that this was the largest quake on the richter scale for this area in 100 years. So it has happened before.

The TVN television said that this was the strongest earthquake that has ever happened in Poland
so Minime this may mean that there were quakes in Poland before but very weak ones
I'll have to check in specific literature

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Heres some information about previous earthquakes in Poland:

Link

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Warsaw Business Journal Online: Northern Poland hit by mysterious record-breaking earthquake

"The Northern East of Poland experienced an earthquake yesterday.

The quake exceeded 5 on the 10 point Richter scale, which makes it the strongest ever recorded in the region. The epicenter was in the Russian Kaliningrad region. Two shock waves were not powerful enough to cause any serious damage, but it was enough to cause some walls in Suwa�ki to crack. Scientists are at a loss to explain possible reasons for the earthquake as the region is not considered to be seismic. They have not exclude the idea that it might have been caused by a huge explosion somewhere along the Russian Baltic coast. "There are no natural reasons for such a powerful earthquake to happen in this place," stated professor Marek Grad from Warsaw University. The Russians, however, assured that the shakes were caused by natural reasons"

I was notified of this article by "DanG"`s post on Climatepatrol :
Climatepatrol: "Rare" earthquakes in Northern Europe

I was originally starting that thread about some other earthquakes which also occured yesterday...
And there were confusing reports in danish and norwegian regarding this and maybe some other quakes in Denmark and Norway.

USGS: Magnitude 5.0 RUSSIA-POLAND BORDER REGION
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 at 13:32:30 UTC
Remarks: Slight damage to utilities at Kaliningrad, Russia. Felt at Harju, Estonia; Riga, Latvia; and Kaliningrad, Russia

[edit on 2004/9/23 by Hellmutt]

join