It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About Compound Bows.( Any experts out there)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I just got my first compound bow last fall. I have shot many bows before and have shot the crap out of this one. I love shooting it and am pretty good with it. I am very experienced with firearms and am a former marksmanship instructor and hobbyist gunsmith. However, I do not know much about compound bows. I can adjust the sights and the arrow rest and other simple things, But that's about it. I would like to eventually be able to never have to take it somewhere to get it worked on. I like doing these things myself.

So my question is to any archery experts out there. Does anyone know of any good books/videos/manuals that would help me get my start so that I can be self sufficient when it comes to the maintenance and or replacement of every part of my bow. Thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I learned alot from this site a few years ago.

Archery Talk

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I have been bow hunting for over 10 years. But wouldn't consider myself an expert. The bow relativity is easy to take of. Typically a set of allen wrench's is all you need. The only thing I have an issue with would be changing the strings. That might be something you would want to have the shop do. Because they have a machine that bends the bow to create slack. As far as books everything I know has been taught to me. I looked and there are a lot of forums out there. Here are some books others have recommended as the best off this website. Archery talk There you can access the forum.

bows on the little delta by glenn st charles. best ever. trailing a bear by bob munger is right up there too.

Life at Full Draw, the Chuck Adams biography.

Backcountry Bowhunting by Cameron Hanes.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Hunted with bow 30 plus years, owned gun and archery shop for 7 years, shot professionally for six years...

Many helpful books, magazine wise, Archery World and Bowhunter both always had good information on the how to dos.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

haha beet me to it.
2nd

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the information everyone. Looks like some good stuff to review.

Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Not an expert, but have been hunting and shooting both compound and recurve for several years now. What make/model of bow do you shoot? I was shooting a Martin previously,and one nice feature of them was that you can back out the limb bolts far enough to create slack in the string,eliminating the use of a bow press. The Eite I shoot now does not allow this. A bow press is an essential tool to bow tuning for these bows,and there's quite a few different ones on the market. Apple seems to be well regarded,for one.
There's also a significant difference between single and dual cam bows, and it seems each manufacturer has their own set-up(binary, hybrid etc) which makes it even more confusing. ArcheryTalk is great, tons of info there.
As long as you know how to check and keep your cams in tune and know how to paper tune, your pretty well set. With a press, you can change limbs,cams,strings and so on,and if you know how to time your cams again,you can pretty much do anything that can be done with your bow.
It's a great sport. If you have a chance and haven't done so, try to find a 3D shoot in your area. It's a blast, and you'll meet lots of people who are true archery pro's. Great practice for hunting too!

new topics

top topics

join