It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're On Food Stamps, You Should Lose Voting Privileges?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

I agree food stamps should not be used to by tobacco or alcohol or only hoho's. If your on food stamps there should be a little more oversight on what you can buy with them.

And for heavens sake make the process quicker like a rechargeable debit card or something, I was on leave and waited behind someone with food stamps and it was simple embarrassing for this poor woman with children, the teller apparently did not know how to process the food stamps and the mgr had to be called over, people behind me were grunting and impatient, at one point I turned and stared at them and said "really its that stressful for you to wait"...

The other only problem I see is some of these people on food stamps are FAT, like really fat, how the heck does that happen unless all they do is buy candy and junk food with it...oh soda should also not be allowed, just water or juice.

Sniper

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by CorteZZ

I agree to a point. There is a line, and it does exist. When America crosses that line, the people will rebel, plain and simple.

Yup and those technological weapons will be used on the people, that rebel...

I have dealt with feds before and let me tell you, they have a much deeper intellect, then your local sherriff or city cop...

Not to mention the American, people will rebel sure, against their government, and themselves...

I assure you this.

Look once the government stopped fearing the people, it was over for us..

As far as food stamps,,

Its a screwed up thing, gotta think about the kids,
most food stamp recipiants have kids man, If my taxes are going to feed kids man I am for it,
gotta think about the kids man...

Their is an ungodly amount of kids hungry right now in America.

I do not think people should be drug tested for food stamps,
especially if their are kids relying on those food stamps.

I do not think food stamps should be able to be used on all foods like candy, junk food etc. etc. just staples like bread meat etc. etc.

cheese milk, food...

Just gotta think about the kids man...

edit on 29-2-2012 by CorteZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm on food stamps right now. I went from making over $85k a year in early 2000s to now being unemployed for over a year. Am I proud of the fact? No. But I do have a 10 year old son to take care of. And if it wasn't for the food stamps, he would probably go hungry.

In NY, you aren't allowed to buy alcohol or tobacco with the food stamps. Just food. And believe me it helps so much. No, I'm not "lower than low". No, I'm not a piece of crap grubbing off of the hard work of others. I have worked since I was 16 years old (im 34 now). I certainly didn't expect to be in this position in life. And I'm not proud of it. But I'm glad its there to help people who are in need.

People with this attitude that all food stamp recipients are "scum" just pisses me off.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Rediculous! Please don't generalize all government workers. I work for the government and I'm voting for a candidate who wants to privatize my agency. Not all of us are like you claim.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I came to this site thinking that I would find more people like me, like minded and such, now I'm beginning to think differently. I see a lot of comments negative ones about the poor. This absolutely disgusts me. It's easy to sit back in your nice recliner in your cozy home and say these types of things, but when your on the other side of the fence I guarantee you would not be saying these things. Due to it being a conspiracy website where we discuss how the eliteists do the people wrong, I figured I would find compassionate people. I was wrong. The poor are human also, they are just humans who got dealt a bad hand and can't turn it around. Like other guy said, there aren't enough jobs in the country for everyone to live comfortably let alone live a normal life period. Shame on anyone for talking negatively about the poor. Boy oh boy some of you talk about how the rich are greedy and are sucking the people dry and doing them wrong. You should look in the mirror.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by JBA2848
Just add if you have a government job or have a government contract you should not have voting privilages due to the fact it will make you vote in order to gain more contracts or higher pay.
edit on 29-2-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

And whoever can still vote need to pass a test on current issues.

The founders wanted people to vote... but they wanted an informed population, which most voters definitely aren't.

To be honest it really is hard to be informed. I shouldn't have to point anything out on that.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
I'm on food stamps right now. I went from making over $85k a year in early 2000s to now being unemployed for over a year. Am I proud of the fact? No. But I do have a 10 year old son to take care of. And if it wasn't for the food stamps, he would probably go hungry.

In NY, you aren't allowed to buy alcohol or tobacco with the food stamps. Just food. And believe me it helps so much. No, I'm not "lower than low". No, I'm not a piece of crap grubbing off of the hard work of others. I have worked since I was 16 years old (im 34 now). I certainly didn't expect to be in this position in life. And I'm not proud of it. But I'm glad its there to help people who are in need.

People with this attitude that all food stamp recipients are "scum" just pisses me off.

Star for you.

In 2007, when the economy was beginning to tank, my wife lost her management position, and the art market dried up, basically destroying my income. We ended up on food stamps after losing our apartment in Philly and ended up moving back down to NC to live with my in-laws.
Talk about a hit to the esteem.
No cellphone, no cable, my internet is wi-fi from my in-laws, I even had to sell my car to my father because I could no longer afford the insurance. We really were in $h!t shape, but things are improving a little, though my wife in her new job makes less in a month (including our EBT) than she used to make in single paycheck.
Our EBT gives us $300 bucks a month to help feed our son. We neither smoke nor drink, so those rules don't really apply to us, but the money is a godsend as we would not be able to feed our son without that extra income.
The situation sucks, but until we can rid ourselves of the real problem, not the poor, but the people at the top who are hell bent on destroying the middle class, we'll never be out of this mess.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I agree, but I also am not sure if it will ever change. And what it would take, if it does, would probably cause millions of people to die. If there was some way to create a National proposition system, in which we could change the laws affecting Congress, and other social issues, without having to rely on corrupt politicians.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmartini24
The only thing I DO agree with 100% is the Drug Screening. I lived in a pretty bad area in a city in PA & I know these people are using drugs & still getting Foods stamps & SSI . Drug screening should be the FIRST part of applying for state assistance PERIOD. Because there is NO excuse for my tax money to be going to people who use the assistance for drugs.

No, you would just rather have them rob you for food instead. I believe it is wrong to deny a person access to a basic necessity like food, based off the fact that he has problems. I mean if this is the mindset, then why stop with drug addicts, lets include, anybody with a terminal illness(why should tax go to the dead), anybody with a misdemeanor offense on their record(for we needn't feed criminals), anybody with a disabling mental illness (i mean if they cant feed themselves, why should i do it?) I mean seriously where does it stop? Me I would rather have a bit of my taxes going to this. Is he going to use it for drugs? maybe, part of it, but A) he's not out killing someone for his fix, and B)speaking as some one who has been a homeless drug addict on food stamps in the past, he IS going to get some food with them, he will eat. that, I can morally live with.

PS on a side note if it wasn't for foodstamps at my lowest point in life, I know this. I know I would have done a lot more vial things that I would of had to atone for.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

The reality is, something's gonna have to give very soon. As it turns out, the American debt is now higher than anyone could ever pay back, as it exceeds the value of all networth on the planet, and this doesn't even include the debts left by Greece and other nations around the globe.
At some point the world is going to have to eat this debt and "start over." That's the only possible chance for a win scenario. The only losers in this situation would be people who are currently profitting off of this debt... bankers.
And as recent threads on ATS have shown, they're all jumping ship to save their own skins.

One thing is for sure. Something's coming. Let's just hope it gets here sooner rather than later.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
No, but you should be drug tested, and if you pop positive, your welfare ends.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidKnight
PS on a side note if it wasn't for foodstamps at my lowest point in life, I know this. I know I would have done a lot more vial things that I would of had to atone for.

Were you hooked on drugs at the time?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

i dont vote anyway, its all a scam and a way to make the masses think they have a "say" in picking the next puppet..

so honestly i could care less...infact i burned my voters registartion card a while back ago

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I served for 6 years, i can confirm that they really do get a large amount of the average mortgage paid every month. It is based not on what you make, but the average monthly rent in your zip code, so ya trailer park in beverly hills, would get you rent paid, and have alot left over. My mortgage was $880 a month back in 03, I got like $1,100 a month just from that, then family seperation pay, seperate rations pay, hazardous duty pay, and then right at the end of the year ETS NOV. 2 hehe re up bonus was 20k upfront( I only got to keep like $14,000 though) hell if your in an active combat one you get to keep it all tax free.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
All citizens should have the opportunity to vote - that is only taken away for those who are convicted of a serious crime and then only until they have completed their sentence including restitution in many states.

Getting food stamps is not a crime unless they are trading them (fraud).

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
No, but you should be drug tested, and if you pop positive, your welfare ends.

So then what? Instead of giving them a couple hundred bucks for food each month, we pay a few thousand a month for a jail bed after they're caught stealing food? Your punishment model doesn't make sense. It would make more sense to test them and force them to go on a drug program in order to continue receiving support in the form of food stamps or any other government welfare program with the hope of getting them back to being productive, but again that cost more than food stamps.

edit on 29-2-2012 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kody27

Originally posted by ideasarebulletproof
dailycaller.com...

Just read this ridiculous article.
So according to this guy, people on food stamps should:
1. Lose voting privileges so "they couldn’t vote for greater benefits or easier terms (most of them don’t vote, but now they couldn’t)."

2. Be forced to shop at "Government Stores" so they feel the humiliation of being "wards of the state".
Oh and the "Government food products" would be easily recognizable, to further humiliation for people on food stamps.

3. Be subject to monthly tobacco and drug screening, and if found with tobacco or drugs in their system, be dropped from the program.

I really hope this is a joke, but I'm guessing it isn't. The sad thing is, a lot of people on this site will probably agree with this reprehensible person.

edit on 2/29/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/29/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

That's genius. I agree with this whole heartedly. Not only should people on welfare and food stamps NOT be aloud to vote, but they should be drug tested if they're receiving my phuking money for free just to support their habit.

Secondly, drug testing for tobacco is the BEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD OF! Finally some common sense in this world, they'll drug test you for weed - a substance that has been responsible for ZERO deaths in the past 4 billion years, yet tobacco kills hundreds of thousands of people a year and it's advertised like candy to babies, i could say the same about alcohol except it's actually worse.

And last, not only should you be smart enough to have a job and take care of yourself and have somewhat of a highschool education at least to vote, I think voters should have to pass an IQ test of 120 at least before being allowed to vote for the leader of the free world.

How does any of that not make sense?

Well judging by your post, I'd say if your ridiculous IQ requirement were to be a law, you my friend would be out of luck.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot

Only property owners should be eligible to vote. Period.

To have people who receive entitlement checks from the government is ridiculous.

That's why Obama has gone to the mattresses with his Class War...because he created more welfare recipients who will naturally vote for the party that promises all the 'free' stuff.

....which is NEVER 'free'. It comes at the expense of another taxpayer.

Um... Do you realize how many millions of people in this country live in apartments? They are technically not property owners. Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You do know Thomas Jefferson was a supporter of social programs for the poor. He even suggested to James Madison that they should tax the wealthy for all they could get to pay for it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Cruel, vicious, with no heart...............not everyone on food stamps wishes this.

You again are cruel and non empathetic.

A true reptile though and through.
edit on 29-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Whenever I hear someone talk about only people with ___ should be allowed to vote, I think they don't understand what freedom and America are all about.

As long as representatives, senators or a president get to make decisions that impact every adult, regardless of land ownership, government aid etc, every adult should have a say in who will represent them.

A welfare recipient should have a say as to who would speak for them if that person can choose to launch a nuke, or institute a draft.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join