It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

We pick leaders who swear their 'severe' competence (to coin a phrase) and we allow ourselves to become their 'followers.' But even if they believe it... it doesn't mean they are correct... and frankly, they wouldn't know either way.

We pick leaders...........how about our voting system here in America has been rigged and hacked for a long time and the illusion of freedom of choice or "voting" is nothing short of an illusion.

See "the Hacking of Democracy" film.

It's not who votes that counts, it's who is counting the votes.-Stalin

1) The best puppet is placed into POTUS Office being assured he/she will follow the orders of whomever is really running the show.
2) Our voting system is a sham to give the People the illusion that they have a say.
3) Our large corporations, including the military fraction of our government have the final say so, hasn't been for the people and by the people in a long time.
4) Anyone that tries to go up against the real power mongers meets with a fatal accident or suicide

A prisoner that does not realize he/she is imprisoned will never try to escape.

A slave that does not realize they are enslaved will never rebel.

edit on 29-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sorry to bring up Ron Paul, But I see a lot of stupid people who don’t take the time to research the candidates. They watch the MSM, and seem to think that they know better. I just don’t get it. America is spiraling downward, and when it all goes to hell, people are going to wonder where it all went wrong. I have to wonder who is worse, the politicians, or the American people who vote the idiots in office. RP has some views that are a little extreme. Especially his views on foreign policy. But if you compare him to all the other candidate, and there bull$h!t, he is a saint. I hate to say it, but the day is going to come where I will look at these people and have to tell them “I told you so”.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton

Stupid is best thought of as an act. You see stupid is when you know better and do something anyway.

Like these guys who ride a skateboard down a handrail. They know they are going to fall in a bad way, but they have to put it on tape to show off just how stupid they are.
I agreed with part of your post (we are all ignorant in some areas) but disagree with this part. In a semantics argument, I hear stupid as meaning "lacking intelligence" - an actual limit to their mental abilities. But that is of course, semantics and not real important.

But in the example you used, many young boys and men who do such acts have some real inner drives and instincts that call them to do it. They take the place of the risks that earlier civilisation offered more readily, in which strength, and endurance could be experienced and known, through challenges to ones life and through painful experiences. As life becomes less physically challenging, the more the young males will come up with their own challenges in order to feel the limits of their body and abilities. The ability to endure great pain is a skill that many males wish to develop, and also find admirable in other men. So watching each other face great pain and injury has reason.

This is an instinctive drive present in men, and has perfect logic, not only from a psychological point of view (pain enhances awareness of the body parts effected, bringing the mind out of it's nest and down to earth) but also for an effective culling of the less strong and capable from the gene pool and reproduction.

An intelligent person could percieve this, and so decide to follow their instincts for those very good reasons.

edit on 29-2-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Reminds me of Idiocracy. My favorite quote from that movie: "I like money."

Speaking of the movie Idiocracy, for those of you who have seen it can you not agree that the part in the beginning where they show the people who are breeding is pretty scary and unfortunately true as well.

I hate thinking about it because I hate being negative, but it's very hard these days to find things to be happy about when thinking about the future.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It’s hard to judge who is incompetent and who is not. One cannot really judge a person by any I.Q. test. A mathematician might have great insight in math, but may have little insight in philosophy. A doctor may be knowledgeable in anatomy and physiology, but may not even know how to check the oil in his car. My Dad has a degree in engineering and physics, and has no common sense. I can look at a leaf falling from a tree, and express the emotional aspect of it. My Father would only tell me what it was made of. Everyone is different.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It was only a matter of time before a study confirmed it!

BRILLIANT!

Hahahaha, I need to keep this thread close so I can reference it whenever somebody acts this way

Star and Flag

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by Maxmars

At least I know they aren't talking about me!

This is quite accurate, and in todays population where everything is handled by a machine or electronic device, there is no reason to learn or memorize anything. Thus you have a whole generation of those who have learned nothing. The problem? one EMP would leave the population completely at the mercy of those who initiated it. An easily conquered group. Onlt those born up through the 80's might have learned those things like the three 'R's' and could make their way through, the rest would quickly be lost, no more facebook or tweeting or cash registers that make your decisions for you. This is where we stand, like it or not, Ignore it at your own peril. Ignorance is BLISS.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
reply to post by Azadok

Do you realize you both looked for a psychiatry guy, right? Psychiatry is a medical doctor... Psychologist is another profession (they can't prescribe any drugs)

I realize he difference and the first guy I saw was a psychiatrist and a man the second was a psychologist . Most practices have a psychiatrist that work with the psychologists and medicate on consultation . Regardless of this it is evident you missed the point of my post.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

What if the "growing body of psychology research"'ers are or half of them incompetent themselves, would that invalidate all that is written in this post...? (j/k I hope)...I know I am not funny and I know my failures all to well...

I do know I am good at aiming at things (all sorts of things) and gathering info...

Sniper

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

There is plenty to be happy about, well if you live and work in a dangerous area the mere fact you woke up and saw the awe inspiring light from the sun is one of them, second when you inhale a nice breath of air with no impedance or pain (from residual tear gas) that is another...when you open the fridge and have food to eat...I could go on and on...

YOUR PROBLEM or that of most is, when you get up you rush for the coffee (coffee is a thing to be happy about bTW) then straight this forum, or the news or the TV and are inundated with negative news.

Because of my duty station I do not have this luxury so you end up finding happiness in the little things all around you, like friends, food, nature even the wonder of rain... (when not being fired upon)...: )

Take a day or two off from online news, ATS and the TV and spend it with loved ones (something I don't have the luxury of either)...and I bet you will feel a lot better at the end of the day...

Sniper

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Well here it is morning and here is this thread. I'm about to drive to work and get a graphic demonstration of the truth of your thread.
People will cut me off, look me right in the eye and pull out in front of me. They'll be in a hurry and and pass me even though I'm doing the speed limit or a little over. They'll pull out to pass me with oncoming traffic very close and cause the other driver to almost go off the road. They will park illegally and cause a problem by blocking the road and on and on.

Driving isn't rocket science, but people just don't know the rules of the road.

As Forrest Gump said"Stupid is as stupid does".

Your mistaking ignorance with rudeness, these people are not ignorant of the law of the road they just don't care about others and that is entirely different . The younger generation seems to be all about themselves not caring for any others but focusing on how fastest to gain their objectives regardless of who they hurt long their goal.

I live in the northeast and for the most part kids today have appalling behavior and very little etiquette . Like the study suggests they do not even see this as a problem because today is all about me me me as fast as possible for instant gratification.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Azadok because: Because iPads and fat fingers with bad eyes don't mix.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

i like the quote , it is better to stay silent and look stupid than speak and prove it .

link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

goodness how true.

when it comes to conversations (especially on here) I believe that people are talking "two different languages" because the "incompetent" people are too afraid to listen and UNDERSTAND your point because that may infact cause them to think differently.

Ignorance , though blissful, is surely dangerous.

link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

news.yahoo.com...

A growing body of psychology research shows that incompetence deprives people of the ability to recognize their own incompetence. To put it bluntly, dumb people are too dumb to know it. Similarly, unfunny people don't have a good enough sense of humor to tell.

This disconnect may be responsible for many of society's problems.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.lifeslittlemysteries.com
edit on 28-2-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

It might also explain a lot of threads on ATS.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well, duh, of course they don't realize it.

Basic statistics tell you that about half of the people out there are below average.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by marinesniper0317
reply to post by Imightknow

There is plenty to be happy about, well if you live and work in a dangerous area the mere fact you woke up and saw the awe inspiring light from the sun is one of them, second when you inhale a nice breath of air with no impedance or pain (from residual tear gas) that is another...when you open the fridge and have food to eat...I could go on and on...

YOUR PROBLEM or that of most is, when you get up you rush for the coffee (coffee is a thing to be happy about bTW) then straight this forum, or the news or the TV and are inundated with negative news.

Because of my duty station I do not have this luxury so you end up finding happiness in the little things all around you, like friends, food, nature even the wonder of rain... (when not being fired upon)...: )

Take a day or two off from online news, ATS and the TV and spend it with loved ones (something I don't have the luxury of either)...and I bet you will feel a lot better at the end of the day...

Sniper

You have a very positive outlook in life , I am curious did you only obtain this after the reality any day could be your last being in a war zone away from loved ones ( not that your fellow marines are not loved ones ).

Everyday is a gift from God and to me I am in awe of all His creations , I could loose all technology and be happy as a clam . Although their seems to be red tide on the cape cod beaches so clams are kinda od bumming

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
we are only as smart as we think the world ignorant. Even the most ignorant man has the wisdom of his life and his experience. Weather it is relevant to you or not depends on your own ability to see it as useful.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well.. this is what I get for leaving the thread for so long... I have lots to respond and would probably bungle it all up if I try to do them individually....

First, some direct comments:

reply to post by pilot70

I know thatr it seems legitimate to consider IQ as a measure. But I have had my reservations about the usefulness of that metric.

Not that I am rationalizing my normal IQ; but it seems that lots of "High IQ" folks show deficiencies in one way or another that makes me wonder if the IQ measurement really translates to anything useful. I suppose it does as far as game shows are concerned, but some of the brightest people I have ever met were in dire need of a "minder" to keep them from getting their clock punched by someone who wasn't inclined to accept their "superiority."

reply to post by alfa1

Good job for you! Yes I failed to realize that at the OP source "Yahoo News" nor at the alternate lifeslittlemysteries.com did they mention anything about the date of the research paper... and that tells me something (aside from the deficiency you pointed out in my OP.)

It tells me that this research has, for at least a decade, been held as 'reserve' to use in many articles that want to attribute 'competence self-assesment' as a weakness in others - usually by specifying the topic somewhere in passing... for example, "Climate change denial" in this case...

I did some quick digging and found another reference for this article... Livescience.com... in this article the same research if framed within an article entitled "People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say"

From the article:

The democratic process relies on the assumption that citizens (the majority of them, at least) can recognize the best political candidate, or best policy idea, when they see it. But a growing body of research has revealed an unfortunate aspect of the human psyche that would seem to disprove this notion, and imply instead that democratic elections produce mediocre leadership and policies.

Interesting use of the research as a tool for social engineering - no?

Or are you still dissapointed?

reply to post by flexy123

We live in a society where stupidity is "celebrated" and encouraged in the media..haven't you noticed how the most stupid people are quite often also the ones seeking (and getting!) the most media exposure?

You ever wonder if the Media is actually 'trying' to dumb down their viewers - or at least - the perception of their viewers? I found that many people who are not immersed in American life have some very peculiar stereotypes they attribute to Americans. And most of those stereotypes are perpetually reinforced by editorial policy in the media. There's a conspiracy theory for you!

reply to post by xacto

I too know practically nothing from this perspective. Welcome to the club!

reply to post by Another10Pin

Interesting disconnect, no? We fail to acknowledge most frequently that "competence" relates to the presumed ability successfully carry out a task in a satisfactory manner... not how high you IQ is. But in the scheme of things, it's the social order that decides what is the acceptable way to generalize the matter. Personally, I think you are right.

reply to post by dreamingawake

I must confess, I didn't realize how 'manipulative' this 'undated' report used by Livescience, lifeslittlemysteries, and Yahoo News was. I'm glad someone pointed out the repeated resurrection of the study... especially since its use makes it suspect...

---------------------------

It seems to me that this decade old study is a convenient tool for any who wish to convey the notion that "MOST" people are dumber than they think they are... it is not talking about "SOME" but "MOST" and in that.. and the multiple topics this study is used to support for editors and writers alike leads me to suspect, and suggest, that it is a social engineering tool.. one step below propaganda.

Sure, most people would like to believe they are fairly smart, competent, and capable of clear thinking... why wouldn't they? But making it seem that any declaration of competence is now suspect is a notion that can be used to undermine nearly any position... and thus it is "used" to that end....

Thanks for reading everybody!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

A prisoner that does not realize he/she is imprisoned will never try to escape.
A slave that does not realize they are enslaved will never rebel.

Exactly. To see the cage is to leave it. (Sorry, I just have to take every opportunity to disseminate that video to the world. Every living person needs to watch it.)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
oh then the dumb people will never accept it because they can't comprehend it
#

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join