It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds first air powered car!! Zero Emissions by next summer 2013!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
www.popularmechanics.com...

Here is the website posted above...

This is groundbreaking to big oil....How will big oil react??

A genuine air powered car you can "fuel up" at home with an air compressor or at designated gas stations with compressed air fill ups!!

Check out some of the details of this baby on the website attached!! India.....Who would have thought??

I think this is one of the biggest inventions EVER and will create VERY cheap transportation for people in the upcoming future....That is unless someone stops it before it starts!!

What do you think about this awesome invention ATS??

This below is the entire article since people don't like to click on the link.....

India's largest automaker is set to start producing the world's first commercial air-powered vehicle. The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy Nègre for Luxembourg-based MDI, uses compressed air, as opposed to the gas-and-oxygen explosions of internal-combustion models, to push its engine's pistons. Some 6000 zero-emissions Air Cars are scheduled to hit Indian streets in August of 2008.

Barring any last-minute design changes on the way to production, the Air Car should be surprisingly practical. The $12,700 CityCAT, one of a handful of planned Air Car models, can hit 68 mph and has a range of 125 miles. It will take only a few minutes for the CityCAT to refuel at gas stations equipped with custom air compressor units; MDI says it should cost around $2 to fill the car's carbon-fiber tanks with 340 liters of air at 4350 psi. Drivers also will be able to plug into the electrical grid and use the car's built-in compressor to refill the tanks in about 4 hours.

Of course, the Air Car will likely never hit American shores, especially considering its all-glue construction. But that doesn't mean the major automakers can write it off as a bizarre Indian experiment — MDI has signed deals to bring its design to 12 more countries, including Germany, Israel and South Africa.

Read more: World's First Air-Powered Car: Zero Emissions by Next Summer - Popular Mechanics
edit on 2/28/2012 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I think at 4350 psi that thing is a bomb waiting to explode.

and all glue construction.........

I wouldn't drive it.
edit on 28-2-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Air Jammer beat them to it back in the 80/90's. Played with them as a kid. Funny that they are now making full size models we can ride in!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Probably only goes 40 miles before recharge and costs $40,000 for the bases model (like the Chevy Volt)

But here is to me hoping to be wrong

link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

My guess is big oil will react the same way they reacted to Stan Meyer's water powered car. The invention will be slandered as a hoax and the inventor will die of mysterious circumstances.

link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240

I wouldn't drive it.

4350 PSI I believe is the standard max pressure of scuba tanks so my guess is it is perfectly safe in that respect as well as most likely just has a tank like that hooked up to it.

Now for the all glue construction.....just give it one good summer day anywhere in the southern US and lets see how long it takes to fall apart. Why would they glue this thing together?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Its compressed air, not flammable. If the tank busted it would have a quick air release and nothing else. Ive been keeping up with this but im on my phone right. I believe that there has been an "on-the-go" refill compressor attached to the design as well so it just constantly refills the tank as you go.

Definatly a great idea. I know i want one!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Not always the person for technicalities, but todays egines run on air.
Todays engines are just airpumps.

yes they use fuel to ignite and heat the air but never the less they ARE just airpumps.
Sorry about being THAT guy.

Cool story though. I like the zero emmisions. its about time.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I wouldn't drive it.

4350 PSI I believe is the standard max pressure of scuba tanks so my guess is it is perfectly safe in that respect as well as most likely just has a tank like that hooked up to it.

I am sure it is fine in the normal day to day, but give it a 65 mph wreck than things can go boom.

link   
But I don't understand (again). The article is from June 2007, surely we would have heard about it by now if it was being produced. Wouldn't we?

link   
It's hardly a zero emissions car, or do you compress the air with a hand pump ?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

I wouldn't drive it.

4350 PSI I believe is the standard max pressure of scuba tanks so my guess is it is perfectly safe in that respect

Tell that to Jaws

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This car would have higher emmisions than a gasoline powered one. It takes some sort of emmision to compress the air. Just because this is done somewhere else does not mean the car is not responsible for it. It uses up too much fuel to change energy forms from fossil fuels, to electricity, to kinetic compressing to release.
Now if you had a wind turbine compressing the air, then the thing is at zero.
edit on 28-2-2012 by earthdude because: i was wrong.

It does beat an electric car because it has fewer moving parts. Gone are all the magnets and wires. Just like an electic car, most of the energy comes from cheap,easy fossil fuels.
edit on 28-2-2012 by earthdude because: more

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

They will smile and laugh as always, because someone is burning oil somewhere to create the electricity to run the compressor. Someone is refining oil somewhere to make the carbon fibers, glues, plastics, etc. Someone is burning fuel to power the plants that make the plastics. The car seems very disposable, and the oil companies win anytime we choose to consume instead of conserve. Therefore, making a cheap little plastic car benefits the oil companies more than buying a good old steel car and keeping it running efficiently, even if the gas mileage is a little lower.

We cannot beat the big oil companies as long as we are deceived into thinking Hydrogen, or LPG, or Electric, or Compressed Air is anything different than oil. At the current moment, all of those things eventually link back to crude oil. We get our plastics, our electricity, our hydrogen, our medicines, and we run our factories, and we ship our goods, all based off that crude oil.

We are fooling ourselves to think any minor little changes in the vehicle we drive will matter whatsoever.

The only true solution is conserve resources, and reuse things. Stop discarding things, stop buying disposable, stop thinking "recycling" is green. It is not green. Green is to not discard at all. Go back to using glassware, and reusing your merchandise and buying quality merchandise and passing it down to your ancestors. Stop buying cheap crap.
edit on 28-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by godfather420

Its compressed air, not flammable. If the tank busted it would have a quick air release and nothing else. Ive been keeping up with this but im on my phone right. I believe that there has been an "on-the-go" refill compressor attached to the design as well so it just constantly refills the tank as you go.

Definatly a great idea. I know i want one!

It may not be flammable but it is under a lot of pressure. And if 4350 psi were to suddenly release itself from under your vehicle. Which is very small and light, I would think in the best case scenario this would happen:

Skip to 1:16

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by occy30

I would guess you didn't even attempt to read the article, since it clearly states the distance it can travel and how much it is....But I won't spoil it for you, try to find the answers yourself, they are hidden in plain text.....

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

This site amazes me at how many people respond without reading a single word from an article!! Unreal.....

Read and then reply please.....PLEASE!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yeah its called engineering. Comparing that video to a car is ridiculous. Obviously you would engineer a fail-safe in case of a puncture or build an encasement for the tank that it nearly indestructable so that you could minimize the damage within an area if there were to be an instant depressurization.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by godfather420

The tank is made out of carbon fiber...I know that will only mean something to you and I....But someone might catch on sooner or later that this thing is an amazing invention!!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by godfather420

And you believe these types of safety precautions are common in today's cars?

They said it would only cost $14k. It has to be light enough to be moved by the compressed air. It is held together 100% by glue! No nuts and bolts. The tanks are carbon fiber, but that does not make them indestructible.

There are many, many people driving around in indestructible Hummers and Titans at the moment, and those vehicles are responsible for plenty of deaths! Cadillacs and Grand Marquis were also some of the 10 worst cars to crash in. Source.

Engineering is great, but engineers often make compromises between weight, efficiency, safety, and stability. Nothing is indestructible, and you can bet the most efficient vehicle will also be less sturdy in other ways.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join