It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space bacteria found in British river could be new power source for the world

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Space bacteria found in British river could be new power source for the world

www.dailymail.c o.uk

Bacteria usually found orbiting high above the Earth have been found in a British river - and could be a new power source for the world.
The mysterious organisms, found in the the mouth of the River Wear, in Sunderland, can generate electricity using a special battery called a microbial fuel cell.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The bacteria was found in the city where I live, it's remarkable and I hope we find some head way with this, if anyone can find any other information please post it.

I walked over the bridge pictured 2 days ago and I was completely unaware that space bacteria was living in the river below that could be a massive new source of energy.

www.dailymail.c o.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Stratospheric Superbugs Offer New Source of Powe

Bacteria normally found 30 kilometres above Earth have been identified as highly efficient generators of electricity

Bacillus stratosphericus -- a microbe commonly found in high concentrations in the stratosphere -- is a key component of a new 'super' biofilm that has been engineered by a team of scientists from Newcastle University.

Isolating 75 different species of bacteria from the Wear Estuary, Country Durham, UK, the team tested the power-generation of each one using a microbial fuel cell (MFC).

By selecting the best species of bacteria, a kind of microbial "pick and mix," they were able to create an artificial biofilm, doubling the electrical output of the MFC from 105 Watts per cubic metre to 200 Watts per cubic metre.

sciencedaily.com

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatest

Nice find but then again we'll be the ones paying for it because they will have to redo everything again..... Transport, TV, Computers...... etc etc.....

In other words the cost of living will go up again in order to develope and implement it.
edit on 22-2-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Nothing is free buddy!! There will be a one time fee to set it up and a yearly "maintenance" fee to use it....

They get you one way or another don't worry....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Who said something about free energy?

It might be a massive new source of energy.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Next on the list for extinction (due to overuse and gratuitous exploitation): Space Bacteria. First it was the Poplars. When will the madness end?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LeftySinister

because bacteria take so long to grow right?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftySinister
Next on the list for extinction (due to overuse and gratuitous exploitation): Space Bacteria. First it was the Poplars. When will the madness end?

you can grow a petri dish full of them in two days...And what about the Poplars? As in trees? If so, they aren't extinct and are no where near it. I see hundreds of them a day where I live.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

now hold the phone a minute, a super secret bacteria just happens to generate electricity if I would happen to have the super secret Battery .............ATS what are the odds of this?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

you can grow a petri dish full of them in two days...And what about the Poplars? As in trees? If so, they aren't extinct and are no where near it. I see hundreds of them a day where I live.

Heh. My bad. Poplers. Futurama. You know? Those delicious chicken mcnugget creatures?

Would the petri dish have to be in space? I mean, they are space bacteria.

edit on 22-2-2012 by LeftySinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Would there even be enough space bacteria for EVERYONE on earth? Or just a couple of nations?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
India was the country that first detected that life 20 miles above Earth. 3 variants they discovered have no genetic link to any other bacteria/life on Earth.

So some how some bacteria exists in space that isn't bothered by UV (gamma) radiation.

Technically you could say its the first confirmed Alien life form we found.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VerityPhantom
Would there even be enough space bacteria for EVERYONE on earth? Or just a couple of nations?

At first there would be enough for everybody. Then an international incident would occur to threaten the global supply of space bacteria. The result is more resource wars.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I bet the most payed scientists in the world are all over that right now...

All over to find a way to massively kill those bacterias of course!

You really think our weak minded and scared of loosing power elite will let something like that be used for the good of humanity?

If it's not something new to enlarge the gap between them and the poor, they will just destroy it.
Yes, we really need to get rid of em, they have lost their usefulness.
edit on 22-2-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

At first there would be enough for everybody. Then an international incident would occur to threaten the global supply of space bacteria. The result is more resource wars.

But doesn't bacteria grow faster than any other organism on earth? lol

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
yayyyyy another form of energy that will be forgotten about tomorrow
yayyyyyyy for space bacteria

yayyyyyyyyyy

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

But doesn't bacteria grow faster than any other organism on earth? lol

Yeah, but it's space bacteria. SPACE BACTERIA! Jeez! It was a joke.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
So uhm... no side-effects to this thingie then?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yes, just what does bacteria feed on 30 kilometers up? each other? plus ultra violet light is not very nice at the best of times.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join