It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anybody Noticed Less Ammo on the Shelves and Increase in Prices?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I shoot my S&W M&P15 and my Sig and Glock 9mm's regularly. Over the last month or so I have found myself having to stop at several different Wal-Marts and sportng goods stores to get the ammo I need to hit the range. I still see plenty of specialty and hunting loads and Plus P ammo but I know they are not bought as often as plain FMJ ammo. And when I do find the ammo I like, it's .50 to $1.50 more than what I am used to paying. I usually get to the stores close to if not on delivery days, and they still don't have what I'm looking for. It seems the only ammo still hanging around is crappy Russian ammo that's been sitting on the shelf for God knows how long, and expensive loads. And I'm sure that as oil prices climb back up, so will the price of everything else, including ammo. Thankfully I already have my stash of shtf ammo and 1911's. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I guess it's time to start re-loading. Because practice makes perfect.
So to add a little conspiracy for fun, I say TPTB don't want us to go target shooting, so that we can't hit the broad side of a barn when the time comes for a call to arms. Any insight would be nice, even smart arsed answers will be appreciated for entertainment purposes. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Not really, especially compared to three years ago when almost nothing was available. Prices for 9mm and .223 have come down by half, though .45 is still sometimes hard to get. I buy mail order from bulkammo.com and get great fast service. It's not unusual to see pallets of 1,000 round boxes at my local Capellas wannabe.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
You may have a point but then:

If many more citizens are moving from sheeple to awake then many many people are thinking tshf soon. I will go out and buy ammo. A few people buying several hundred rounds will clear the shelves.

I think you may just be seeing a sign of the times. Stock up now!

P

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Walmart is pretty bad about stocking ammo. There should be more ammo coming pretty soon though, generally ammo is purchased in bulk for the year right after SHOT show so the retailers can get large discounts and cash backs. Fight the urge to shoot that tulammo junk. TulAmmo is designed for HiPoints (great cheapos!) and CAI/CIA weapons. Weird though that 9mm is low. +P and +P+ I generally stay away from unless its for JHP. There is really no need for a 9mm factory overpressure FMJ they don't make major PF so no need for it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

It seems mail order would be the way to go. I was just checking out cheaperthandirt and sportsmanswarehouse. They seem to have some goods deals on bulk buys.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Well yeah...that's called a sellers market. It is either real or manipulated false shortage so they can raise the prices and blame the President. This happens in marketing. I mean they don't always get to blame a sitting Prez but When ever it is opportune and the PUBLIC (baaaaaa) which we are WILL NOT PLACE undue blame on the company. It's gouging, plain and simple. Maybe we can intercept something on it's way to Mexico.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Thanks. I stay away from the plus stuff. It's over my head. I broke down and bought some Tula a few Weeks ago. I got 3 rounds off then had a bad jam. I gave the rest away to the guy at the bench next to mine and went home upset with myself for buying it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If you want competition ammo, online is great for a bulk purchase. If you want SHTF ammo, pay cash and stay local. And ditch the 1911 for a SHTF weapon and keep the SIG and Glock. I LOVE the 1911 but its a poor design for SHTF too many finicky parts and if you don't have a full length guide rod you run the risk of blowing the bushing if maintenance is hard to achieve, it is also one of the 'wettest' firearms out there the Glock will run almost bone dry and not collect as much debris as a result.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

The steel case on TulAmmo will wear down your feed ramps over time. It is also very dirty ammo which is cool in a cheap firearm in low light you'll get powder burn at the target and again at the firewall (if at an indoor range). You can't reload the cartridge so its not a good one to have for SHTF. With cheap brass ammo (PMC etc) you can still get a good 5 loads through, and for SHTF you should invest in a lead casting kit for self sufficiency.

+P+ is outside of SAAMI regulations for cartridge pressures. Most manufacturers will void a warranty for firing it. It will hit very hard. +P is kind of gray area in pressure, some manufacturers will void a warranty for it where others will limit the grain on +P loads (Kimber Solo is one) to maintain warranty. +P is a great defensive round, the infamous black talon (ranger rounds) for law enforcement is a +P+. Better for defense IMO is a frangible +P.

edit on 2012221 by mretgis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Good advice, I didn't think about the 1911 issues, thank you.
edit on 2/21/1212 by 1MrMarc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
No problem. The Sig 226 during Army trials ran nearly 20k rounds without maintenance or spare parts. The 220 based firearms (NOT the 250, 2022, or SigPro) will all have similar results with the 226 being possibly the best for the money in a full size. Glock's weight and availability of aftermarket magazine extensions give it a nudge over the 226 in one regard but the double action of the 226 decocked is preferred in a combat scenario (if you have your finger in or near the trigger and there is an explosion you could flinch fire a glock, whereas the additional pounds of pull in the sig might prevent the negligent discharge.)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

It seems we have more ammo up here then we've had in years. I've been looking for Fusion 30.06 rounds for three years, finally started seeing them again this year. I've been seeing more bulk 7.62x39 then has been around for a while too, and at better prices. I'll shoot that Russian ammo though. Ha ha

walmart is real hit and miss for ammo in general around here

I see more high end expensive ammo here lately too. Fifty dollars for 50 .40 cal shells? Winchester makes great rifles, but I can't see those shells being worth it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is by far the cheapest place to get ammo these days. Not to mention their shipping is fast as can be. My orders usually arrive prior to the scheduled delivery date.

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Thanks, I was just looking at that site. I also just saw sportsmanswarehouse.com has some good deals to. I have always been scared to buy anything online. But I was just hit with a stroke of genius and realized I could call the 800 number. I surprise myself sometimes. face palm for myself.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tresspassin

It seems like AK's and SKS are really getting popular. I just never know what kind to get and from what country.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

I don't worry about buying online because if someone ever wanted to come check me out, they would see that I shoot the ammo almost as fast as I get it. I keep a full combat load for my assault rifle (AK) and for my 45 so I can protect my family if chaos breaks out. plus I have a correctional facility a mile away and we live out in the boonies..
edit on 21/2/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

Also Aks are great weapons for a SHTF scenario, and this is coming from someone who has used both in combat. I will always choose a good ak over an m4 anyday. The good ones are the old cold war stockpiles that have been modified for civillian use. WASR is on company that puts them out at a fair price.
edit on 21/2/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Russian or chinese. Stamped or milled both have advantages ( you can run over a milled version with a truck, pick it up and keep on shooting, stamped are lighter). The wasr 10 is junk. A to the k for me. I just let mt cousin shoot my ak-47 yesterday. He had never shot one before. His eyes lit up like a little kid. By the way I like wolf (russian ammo) for the price. It's waterproof too. If I could only take one piece of hardware out of my gun cabinet in a bug out it would be my Ak. Not even a second thought about it. I would miss my winchester though . I might even drop a tear as I abandoned old Bessie.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Good info. Thank you. What would be a "made in" country or brand to stay away from as far as AK's go?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tresspassin

Good s### Sir!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

I have a romanian which seems to be the most prevalent these days. They are just as good as the russian built models. Basically any soviet or former soviet country of origin is a safe bet. I personally would stay away from modern nodels unless they are just as solid as the old ones. The old saying, "they don't build them like they used to" comes in mind, however I saw a thread today on a new russian varient that looked pretty cool. A good place to look for the old ones is gun shows, they're ussually plentifull and fair priced. Cheaperthandirt has a section that posts gunshows nationwide, they also carry many accesories for ak's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join