It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lens Flare? I do not think so

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I was just cruising my FB page and noticed this post from the CH 2 Weather Team in Anchorage Alaska. This was evidently photographed by more than one person. The FB page for CH 2 shows this picture, and the discussion among viewers indicate something unusual here in my opinion.

Link to Ch 2 Anchorage

The discussion also leads to pictures in a flicker account, that another viewer posted a link to. The link to these photos follow
www.flickr.com...

I find it interesting that there are multiple takes on this. Rule out the Poker Flats Aurora rocket, as indicated in the article.

Comments, and thoughts?

*Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to help me with the first external image link ?* Thanks
edit on 21-2-2012 by Journey because: trying to get external image up

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I thought you couldnt see stars in pictures? My guess is a shooting star in action

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Click on the second link- to CH2 FB page= second post down once you are there. Not stars man

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Journey

There you go mate.

As for the pic itself, i dunno man, something just doesn't look right here. The proportion looks wrong, thus maybe a reflection, from something nearby.

vvv

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Journey

Defiantly lens flare caused by the brigh light from the building

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Journey

seeing the bigger picture i take that back.. if other people saw it its probably not a reflection, but this isnt my field of experteeeeez so im just gonna say.. i have no F'n clue but hope theirs another picture out their

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Here we have a sort of explanation:

www.flickr.com...

With clear skies at Poker Flat and also at the villages of Fort Yukon and Venetie, where they had narrow-field cameras aimed toward the sky, the scientists opened their launch window at 8 p.m. They watched the aurora dance directly overhead at Poker Flat, waited until the aurora was perfect over Fort Yukon and then launched the two-stage rocket. In the 10 minutes, 25 seconds it took for the rocket to arc to a high point 200 miles above Venetie to the payload’s landing in northern Alaska, a complicated array of antennas deployed, and the rocket both gathered and then transmitted an immense amount of information back to Poker Flat.

An aurora diving rocket or how would you call it?
edit on 21-2-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Thanks for posting the picture, That Sir, and I did get the ext link to work. Also, the FB discussion is growing as well, interesting...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Journey

And what was the exposure time? Just curious...on the Facebook page another poster linked another image, just as beautiful and just as intriguing but there is a trail of a shooting star. That is only possible if they were trained on that portion of the sky and had an increased exposure time.

The anomaly is a product of such exposure. That is my layman's understanding.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Lens flare caused by the light on the house. If you look at the flare, it is pointing in line, towards the light.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
There's obviously some lens flare present, but I think the blue object and some of the tail is legit. The pic reminds me of the Norway Spiral from a different vantage point.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

o yeah? he house cause the second picture too? Bet you didn't even look

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The problem with the rocket theory is that the tail appears to be comming from up not from down like a rocket should.

As for a lens flare you can see where the lens is flaring and where it's not. I don't think the object appears to be part of the flare.
edit on 21-2-2012 by openeyeswideshut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
What got my attention was when I enlarged the Flicker image to max, I am seeing the same object being photographed by 2 different people, one of them being a professional photographer- as it appears.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut

No EXIF data for either photo,so at a guess they were both taken with the same model of camera or mobile phone so both would show the same sort of lens flare.
Simple photographic law that dates back to the birth of optics says that if a bright light is shining into the lens,you will get lens flare!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut

I looked, and it too is pointing towards the light.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
What got my attention was when I enlarged the Flicker image to max, I am seeing the same object being photographed by 2 different people, one of them being a professional photographer- as it appears.

Okay, I am slightly confused. The fliker "post" was about (or was it not?) a NASA launch on the 18th, leading the average viewer to believe that the posted photo is of that launch.

On the OP's link at Facebook, a poster says "he captured" the same thing, but failed to give us any info on time, place and direction in which he was photographing.

Sorry, with out those basic pieces of information it could be someone in South America saying "they saw the same thing!".......

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
late to party
edit on 21-2-2012 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by openeyeswideshut

Actually yes, it does.

Both pictures are examples of lens flare caused by a bright light in the frame.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Journey

This picture here you linked to is a long exposure

That is a flare and the light at the house is most likely the cause!

This picture you link to is also a long exposure

a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...

Similar bright light at the house.

Both pictures show stars so are long exposures,here is a similar image on another thread

and another

What do they all have in common long exposure and bright lights!!!

It is indeed lens flare!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join