It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Dilation Near The Speed Of Light May Explain Visitations By Aliens In Flying Saucers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike
reply to post by blocula

The reason being is that there are no remnants of any such civilization existing. There are bones found of pre humans all the way back to dinosaurs but nothing further excavated. There will be signs of our trespasses for millions of years if we were to leave. Also, there is no motive for any species to leave their home world which is prospering and fit for survival. Basicly there is little room in the periods of earths history for any species to have evolved and built that kind of technology.
4,500,000,000 years is an extremely long time...

Modern humans have been on earth for only 200,000 years > en.wikinews.org...

Any type of early pre-human remains are only a few million years old and all those remains that have ever been found could fill up a couple of small boxes > www.boston.com...

What will remain of humanity in a mere 10,000 years after we are gone?...Not much...

What will remain of us after just 100,000 years?...Very little...

What will remain of us after many millions years have passed by without us?...Nothing....

The only reason a lot of our roadways,bridges,tunnels and buildings have'nt already fallen apart and collapsed is because we are here to fix and repair them...

Even metal oxidizes and corrodes,even our satellites orbits will decay in a relatively short period of time and they will either fall back to earth,or drift off into space > www.quora.com...

After millions of years of unstoppable advance of natures ceaseless fury...

Of continuous wind and rain erosion...

The wither and decay of burning summers and freezing winters...

Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions,tidal waves and hurricanes,tornadoes and blizzards...

Continental drift,advances and recessions of mile high mountains of ice and snow...

When those and other things have all rampaged across the land and upon our cities and towns again and again and again...

All that will remain of us is...Glass...Nothing more and nothing less > www.dot.state.pa.us...
edit on 18-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm not claiming to understand all the physics, but wouldn't they be in constant contact with Earth through lasers or something? This would be the quickest way to get data back to scientists on Earth. Is there something about relativistic speed that would prevent communication?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

More than 99% of every living thing that has ever existed on earth is now extinct and gone forever. Seriously,think about what that actually means...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Speed doesn't change the passage of time though it might change the experience. It may feel like thousands of years but both men would have had the same amount of time pass.
Speed does change the passage of time and time is relative to someones perspective,that was proved by einstein in 1905,over one hundred years ago with his principle of special relativity > www.phys.unsw.edu.au...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It is possible that some of these aliens were unaware of the time travel effects that occur when moving near the speed of light.They may not have known that those speeds were actually dilating time and propelling their crafts and themselves far into the future,until they started returning to earth and discovered that everything had changed and the planet was not theres anymore...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Link for above post. I ran out of room.
Universe Within 12.5 Ly

Point being that few of those stars are believed to have planets at all. Much less habitable ones. Also, with only a 15 LY trip each way, they would not be gone "millions of years". Travel at .999C for 30 days ship time and 670 days pass on Earth. 8040 days for a year. Call it 120,000 days. Call it 329 years more or less.

That is why I believe earlier inhabitants that developed advanced technology didn't really go too far to escape their problems on the Earth's surface.
I think at one point in our Earth's history we pulled, what we now call the Moon, from a near distant place. We set it into its perfect orbit. Where we never see the other side and where its distance between the Earth and the Sun are in such a way that the Moon perfectly fits in front of the Sun as the same size, causing our total eclipses.

I think earlier inhabitants colonized the interior of the Moon as well as the interior of our Earth. Their "space ships" come and go through openings in the poles and other areas of the world where tunnels connect to the Hollow Earth.

The placement of the Moon is a very important part of who we as "modern humans" are. Its power on our systems not only keep the Hollow Earth safer (through a more stable balance of gravity, but it controls and effects all living organisms on the Earth's surface.

edit on 18-2-2012 by TimesUp because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2012 by TimesUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Speed doesn't change the passage of time though it might change the experience. It may feel like thousands of years but both men would have had the same amount of time pass.
Speed does change the passage of time and time is relative to someones perspective,that was proved by einstein in 1905,over one hundred years ago with his principle of special relativity > www.phys.unsw.edu.au...

Not to dis Einstein but in our existence time is measured in seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc. It is a constant that does not change regardless of someone's persective. Just because someone feels time went faster doesn't mean that it actually did.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TimesUp

The pre-human intelligent life forms that may have existed on earth long before we came along,sent out astronauts on deep space explorations,just like we send out people into space...

Only they were more advanced than we are and they sent their astronauts much further out into sapce and at much faster speeds than we have and just like our moon program was spread out during many missions over many years,the aliens may also have sent out many different groups of astronauts,upon many different interstellar voyages with various destinations,over many years,within different types of flying saucers,all traveling at different rates of acceleration close to light speed...

While they were gone,unforseen natural and or self inflicted disasters destroyed their civilizations here on earth and once they started returning from their various cosmic journeys,they were shocked to discover that their species had long ago gone extinct and a new species had since taken over the planet,humans...

They may or may not have had longer life spans than we do,but on board the aliens space ships,ten or twenty years may have gone by,or perhaps fifty or a hundred years,but either way,they were traveling so very fast that time was dilated and many thousands of years went by and the closer they were traveling to the speed of light,the faster more time would have went by,the further into the future they would have traveled...

Ever since humans have been seeing and encountering aliens,ufos and flying saucers,we may have actually been seeing and encountering different individual spaceships with alien pilots on board returning and different groups of space ships with groups of alien pilots,all returning here from different missions at different times...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Not to dis Einstein but in our existence time is measured in seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc. It is a constant that does not change regardless of someone's persective.

Not true.

In fact, time is entirely fluid and is completely dependant on, as you put it. "one's perspective."

Instead of "perspective," Einstein used the term "reference frame."

Well, not really. I mean, it was originally written in German, see.

Blocula is right, in a way. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

For Blocula's scenario to be true, Mary would have to travel at 99.9999999999999999999% of light speed. It might even take more "9's" than that.

Otherwise, she'd only gain a few years, nothing like a thousand (or more - whatever Blocula said, I'm not going back to check.)

The calculation is extremely easy - I teach it to my high school students - but I'm also extremely lazy and not gonna do this for you or Blocula.

I will do this for you:
www.johnstonsarchive.net...

Go there. Scroll about halfway down the page. The time dilation equation can be found there. Here's how it reads:
t prime over t equals the square root of [1-(v squared over c squared)].

t prime is the time that has passed on the spaceship, while t is the time that has passed on the Earth, in Blocula's scenario.

Easy enough?

Harte
edit on 2/18/2012 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Not to dis Einstein but in our existence time is measured in seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc. It is a constant that does not change regardless of someone's persective. Just because someone feels time went faster doesn't mean that it actually did.
But when traveling at the speed of light,186,000 miles per second,time does change,for the person thats moving through space at those mind numbing speeds...

They are traveling so extremely fast that time is dilated "for them" and many thousands of years will pass by "for them" and the closer they travel to the speed of light,the faster more time will go by "for them",the further into the future they will have traveled.While at the "same time" someone else on earth will only experience a few years going by...As amazing as that seems and sounds...That is reality...Not science fiction...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
At this stage of human development, we have the equivalent of a rocks and twigs, and are pondering how to build a giant palace. Our knowledge of the physical universe is truly still in the stone ages, and we are like the 2 dimensional creatures that live in flatland, and cannot see beyond the two dimensions. If others have visited us, their methods are so beyond human comprehension, that we may not even be able to see or recognize their presence.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

And perhaps some of their technologies we perceive as our rain,wind and snow...Theres something for us to think about while drifting off into the world of alien induced illusions...I mean our dreams...

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

It is only when an object approaches speeds on the order of 30,000 km/s,1/10 the speed of light,that time dilation becomes important...en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 19-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

It is only when an object approaches speeds on the order of 30,000 km/s (1/10 the speed of light) that time dilation becomes important > en.wikipedia.org...

Okay, you made me do it. Are you happy?

The passage of one thousand years on Earth for every 70 years on the space ship would require a velocity that was approximately 99.76% of the speed of light.

Since you said "many hundreds of thousands," that's why I included all those nines in my previous post.

Do it yourself if you want to know exactly how many nines turns 70 years into "hundreds of thousands."

Harte

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little,in that their great speed slows down the rate of passage of on board time...

That is,the ship's clock and according to relativity,any human travelling with it,shows less elapsed time than the clocks of observers on Earth...

For sufficiently high speeds the effect is dramatic...

For example,one year of travel might correspond to ten years at home...

A constant 1 g acceleration would permit humans to travel through the entire known universe in one human lifetime...

That ability is something a class-3 civilization will most likey have attained...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
So if a space craft traveled at the speed of light to the Moon and traveled back to Earth at the speed of light, a few days would pass, instead of a few moments? For a person observing from Earth?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

This time dilation effect i think does'nt have so much to do with "how far away" your destination may be while trying to get there at near light speed...

But it has much more significance when determining "how long" you traveled at near light speed,no matter where your going and you dont have to be going anywhere specific at all,just as long as your moving at near light speed for a certain amount of perceived time...

How long you were gone,not how far you traveled,is what really matters...

Just imagine yourself as an astronaut,your the first person to leave earth and travel in a spaceship at 99.9% the speed of light through the cosmos and you are gone,from your perspective according to the clock onboard your space ship,for 25 years....

From everyone elses perspectives back on earth you will have been gone for many thousands of years...

Now imagine when you return to earth,everything has changed,your fellow humans who said farewell when you left have all long ago died off and went extinct while you were gone...

And now the earth is dominated by an entirely new species of intelligent life and they have built vast cities all over the planet...

When those people look up and see your spaceship descending through the sky,they will think and say that your spaceship is an alien spaceship from another world...

And when they see you,they will think and say that you are an alien from another world...

They will be right,but they will have a truly difficult time trying to understand that the other world you came from is their world...

Just like when we see aliens in flying saucers...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

reply to post by Harte

This time dilation effect i think does'nt have so much to do with "how far away" your destination may be while trying to get there at near light speed...

But it has much more significance when determining "how long" you traveled at near light speed,no matter where your going and you dont have to be going anywhere specific at all,just as long as your moving at near light speed for a certain amount of perceived time...

How long you were gone,not how far you traveled,is what really matters...

Just imagine yourself as an astronaut,your the first person to leave earth and travel in a spaceship at 99.9% the speed of light through the cosmos and you are gone,from your perspective according to the clock onboard your space ship,for 25 years...From everyone elses perspectives back on earth you will have been gone for many thousands of years...

What the ...?

Blocula, I just showed you that at the speed you just stated (approximately,) only one thousand years would go by for every seventy years on Earth.

Now you think that in 25 years at that speed "many thousands" of years will have passed on Earth?

You're just not worth the effort, dude.

Harte

edit on 2/19/2012 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

reply to post by Harte

It is only when an object approaches speeds on the order of 30,000 km/s (1/10 the speed of light) that time dilation becomes important > en.wikipedia.org...

Okay, you made me do it. Are you happy?

The passage of one thousand years on Earth for every 70 years on the space ship would require a velocity that was approximately 99.76% of the speed of light.

Since you said "many hundreds of thousands," that's why I included all those nines in my previous post.

Do it yourself if you want to know exactly how many nines turns 70 years into "hundreds of thousands."

Harte
Ummmm,I think you have my numbers mixed up...

The "hundreds of thousands" of years that i mentioned is not about me in my spaceship,its the amount of time that people on earth will perceive that i have been gone...

The "70 years" is how many years i will perceive having gone by in my spaceship....

If i was gone from my perspective for hundreds of thousands of years at near light speed...

Someone on earth will perceive that i've been gone for billions of years...

Either way,however long i've been gone and at whatever close to light speeds i was traveling at while i was gone,what really matters,what my whole point is...

Time dilation will happen for me and when i return,so much time will have passed by,that my fellow humans might have been killed off or died off while i was gone and the new species that arose while i was gone,when they see me and my spaceship,they will perceive of me as being an alien in a spaceship from another world...

When all i'm really doing is returning to the planet i left behind when i blasted off into deep space...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Even if you traveled FTL, you would just go light years for only a minute or so, the watch/date wouldn't suddenly jump to 70 years ahead right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join