It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power Of Antimatter

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chipcho
Furdermore antimatter do not expell radioation ar any of the kind when egnited.

Are you sure? I heard that anihilation produces extremely powerfull X-rays (or something like that)? and that are so powerfull, that ,for example, in the future the possible antimater spaceships will be not able to start from solar system, because the all life Earth could be viped.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Antimatter isnt that powerfyll, the molecules are about the size of a iorn one, and are stable enough to only react with matter, and then the explosion is very powerfull, but overated, But they would make a good micro genorator for a heavy railgun on Laser

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
ummmm,no. the molecules and atoms and nuclei are identical to the normal matter ones, just opposite charged particles.
antimatter is incredibly powerful. and it emits tons of x and gamma rays when it reacts with matter (pions too)
microgenerator for railgun? that's absurd IMO. you would need magnetic containment, and a small generator won't create enough current to power a railgun to useful levels. you would need a large cap bank or a compulsator or car battery bank. Antimatter is more useful as a propulsion system or bomb. it's pointless to make a generator from it, it wouldn't make any energy (conservation of matter and energy. you can't get more energy out of an antimatter reaction than you put in making the antimatter.)

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I believe that anti-matter should not in anyway shape or form be used as a weapon, instead be used for energy, or for space travel.

An anti-matter reactor core or engine can probably provide large amounts of energy needed to propel or power the space craft, better than liquid nitrogen.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
okay i am not shure about the radiation, but the current railgun desighn requires so mutch ennergy that massive cappacitor banks are nessisary, but i belive that antimatter will create enough ennergy to fire the weapon WITHOUT the nead for a cappcitor bank the size of jappan, and scince power in = power out, they can be compared to batterys, exactly what the cappacitor bank is ther for, as single pulse of energy.

And the law of conservasion of matter and energy states that IN TOTAl the energy and matter in the universe remains constant, and then antimatter is not realy going to be used in small arms, but more battleship cores, or tank generators

oh, and dont forget that IORN is a ellement in its self, and all atoms of ellements vary in size form 1 nuclii subattomic partical to 293 sub attomic particals, with iorn in the middle with 55

[edit on 4-11-2004 by Kayaroyu]

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I recently read an article in Discover magazine on anti-matter and its origins. I don't think you detonate anti-matter, you just let it contact matter, then poof, they cancel each other out. Gone. The article mentions use of particle accelerators in which they slam matter and anti-matter together to attempt to examine the atomic debris, trying to find out why the universe still exists. The machine they are useing is called the BaBar, I'm kind of foggy on all the detail of the article, but I think it was in the August or September issue of the magazine. Neat stuff though.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
oops, i forgot to mention the energy release when matter and anti-matter contact, sorry. It would probably make a good weapon, if you wanted to destroy, say, a planet.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I theink most of us here allready knew that form the way the conversation is going, but thatnks for clearing that up.

And you would bankrupt the world ecconomy trying to get that mutch Antimatter, but i wouldent like to be the aliens attaking us when we start building antimatter bobms....

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If you do get anti-matter, where would you store it?

And this idea is highly implausible because 1)There is nowhere to store the anti-matter atoms 2)The price 3)Not enough of it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
If you do get anti-matter, where would you store it?

And this idea is highly implausible because 1)There is nowhere to store the anti-matter atoms 2)The price 3)Not enough of it.

Shattered OUT...

they can store it in a container with very strong elecytomagnetic fields.

the antimatter is kept floating in the middle of the container so it doesn't get in contact with the container itself

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The reason why I believe anti-matter does not exsist on earh is
because every element on earth has some type of gravitational push or pull build up of normal matter. For example, lets say if someone swings there arm back and forth as fast as he/she could..they would never be able to exceed speed that earth gravitational push or pull would allow because again everything surounding us is made of normal matter. Now lets say that everything on earth is antimatter and the arm swinging back and forth is normal matter. What would happen is that arm would no longer be limited to how fast it can move because only normal matter can control normal matter gravitational push or pull.Perhaps that why a enormous amount of engery and distance is needed inorder to make Amti-matter.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join