It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama announces contraception compromise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

President Barack Obama announced a compromise Friday in the dispute over whether to require full contraception insurance coverage for female employees at religiously affiliated institutions.

Under the new plan, religiously affiliated universities and hospitals will not be forced to offer contraception coverage to their employees. Insurers will be required, however, to offer complete coverage free of charge to any women who work at such institutions.

Female employees at churches themselves will have no guarantee of any contraception coverage -- a continuation of current law.

Good move by Obama.

He took the argument completely out of the Catholic Church's domain.

He shifted the mandate onto the insurance companies instead of on the Catholic organizations.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Why didn't he just do that in the first place?

I think Obama tests the waters, he plays games to see how much he can get away with.

You know, Seems like we are being tested as a society, how far can they push us before we retaliate?

edit on 112929p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Maybe he only does what he's told to do? That's what I think. We all know he's a puppet but who is really calling the shots?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Maybe he only does what he's told to do? That's what I think. We all know he's a puppet but who is really calling the shots?

Exactly, I altered my above post while you were posting.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
All this mandate is going to do is drive up healthcare premiums. This in turn will force more people to accept Obamacare. Its a tactical move to get his way.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Why didn't he just do that in the first place?

I think Obama tests the waters, he plays games to see how much he can get away with.

You know, Seems like we are being tested as a society, how far can they push us before we retaliate?

edit on 112929p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Because having an equal policy across the board for ALL employers makes the most logical sense and is the most efficient policy.

Now...there needs to be a special case for a certain group of organizations...creating an unequal policy and extra work.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
All this mandate is going to do is drive up healthcare premiums. This in turn will force more people to accept Obamacare. Its a tactical move to get his way.

hmmmm. obviously he knew the response he was going to get from the Catholics,

My mind just can't spin the numerous ways we are being manipulated.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think he will push until a retaliation happens then he will use it as an excuse to remove more liberties and force the NDAA into action. Do not trust this man...
Im so disappointed in this first black President..Hes no Martin Luther King thats for sure..

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
BREAKING: Pro-life leaders slam White House ‘compromise’ on birth control mandate

www.lifesitenews.com...

The White House Fact Sheet is riddled with doublespeak and contradiction,” Smith continued. “It states, for example, that religious employers ‘will not’ have to pay for abortion pills, sterilization and contraception, but their ‘insurance companies’ will. Who pays for the insurance policy? The religious employer.”

In a statement released today, the White House said, “Under the new policy announced today, women will have free preventive care that includes contraceptive services no matter where she works.”

“If a woman works for religious employers with objections to providing contraceptive services as part of its health plan, the religious employer will not be required to provide contraception coverage but her insurance company will be required to offer contraceptive care free of charge.”

The birth control rule announced last summer was intended to force virtually all employers to cover sterilizations and contraception, including abortifacient drugs such as ella, a sister drug to RU-486.

Why is birth control such a hot topic to get elected in this country?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexx790

force the NDAA into action

Do you understand that your statement makes no sense at all?

It is just the same as people claiming they won't buy the government insurance under Obamacare.

There is no "put into action" of NDAA...you clearly don't understand the legislation.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Good move by Obama.

He took the argument completely out of the Catholic Church's domain.

He shifted the mandate onto the insurance companies instead of on the Catholic organizations.

So basically - just changing the wording.

It never was the a mandate against the religion. It was always about the insurance company.

ARGH! Sometimes you just wanna scream.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Because the GOP has nothing else to go after Obama with. This is all they have. It's "abortion 2012". The GOP decided to make it an issue and they did. And the masses followed.

Obama's got much more important things to be doing, but the GOP has apparently decided that religious subjects are their best bet to be elected...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The more religion is removed from government.

The bigger my smile

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I understand where you are coming from BH, but for years now, way before Obama, the big issue in politics is birth control.

edit on 122929p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

The bigger my smile

And vice versa
edit on 122929p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

The bigger my smile

And vice versa

True.

But insurance companies offering birth control has nothing to do with religion.

Insurance is about individual employees who may not be religious at all.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Because the GOP has nothing else to go after Obama with. This is all they have. It's "abortion 2012". The GOP decided to make it an issue and they did. And the masses followed.

Obama's got much more important things to be doing, but the GOP has apparently decided that religious subjects are their best bet to be elected...

I think in this case, it was the other way around. Mentioning the words birth control to Catholics generally makes them flip out. Then the R's decided to hop on the angry bandwagon.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

54% of Catholics voted for Obama, which is weird, considering I thought they were anti abortion, they also liked his stand on Obama care, if he doesn't cave on this issue I imagine he may lose a lot of votes.

but it looks like his caving was just double talk.

edit on 012929p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

When I first saw that stat I was puzzled as hell. Because he hasn't actually framed himself as a friend to religious people.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
n/m

edit on 10-2-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join