It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cern recognizes LENR (low energy nuclear reactions)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Source

One of the most well-established nuclear physics institutions in the world, CERN, the European Centre for Nuclear Research, will host a colloquium on low-energy nuclear reaction research in March.

A general colloquium, “Overview of Theoretical and Experimental Progress in Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR),” will take place at CERN on March 22, from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the council chamber.

CERN is gearing up for a little get together to talk about LENR. Something that has received a bit of attention lately. NASA has also investigated LENR among other big (and not so big names).

The .pdf for the CERN forum can be found here.

The colloquium will review recent gas-environment LENR experiments and the role of nanostructures in the basic studies. Francesco Celani, a physicist with the Italian National Institute of Nuclear Physics in Frascati, Italy, will present this work.

The colloquium will also review the potential of one theory, the Widom-Larsen model of LENRs, which is based on weak interactions and neutron-capture processes.

It is interesting to see LENR come up as often as it has, even if not many gains have been made in the area of research. Of course there are a few that are claiming to have not only figured out the anomalous heat, but also produce something viably useful from it.

However, those people lack evidence.

With others focused on the task, hopefully a conclusion can be drawn soon.

*Note, this thread is not about Rossi.

edit on 9-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2012 by boncho because: tags

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This is good the sooner the big boys with real resources get a handle on the phenomena the better off humanity could be. I'd love to see real resources dedicated to the phenomena and who knows we might see a real breakthrough that benefits all of us.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
This is good the sooner the big boys with real resources get a handle on the phenomena the better off humanity could be. I'd love to see real resources dedicated to the phenomena and who knows we might see a real breakthrough that benefits all of us.

Yes, or a mundane but unforeseen explanation comes up and the hopes of a major breakthrough is thwarted. It could go either way but we can wish for the alternative to that.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

To be fair, Japan has spent a fortune on this kind of research for many years, as well the Navy, and also NASA. It's really just news of another big hitter getting on board. As of yet nothing has come up that was earth shattering.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm cautiously optimistic.... humanity could really really use a breakthrough paradigm changing technology right now. It would seriously improve the economic doldrums we seem to be experiencing still.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I'm cautiously optimistic.... humanity could really really use a breakthrough paradigm changing technology right now. It would seriously improve the economic doldrums we seem to be experiencing still.

Or a new type of weapon that could wipe it off the face of the Earth.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
My guess if it can be weaponized the navy may have already done so. But either way I can still hope for a brighter future. Cheap Clean energy could do so much for the world after all.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Or a new type of weapon that could wipe it off the face of the Earth.

Or GOD forbit

A working E_CAT

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

I'd sooner place my money on a working FTL spaceship. But I suppose I deserve your sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I'd sooner place my money on a working FTL spaceship. But I suppose I deserve your sarcasm.

LOL Just hope this one does not go down the rabit hole as quick as the last one we were on tonight
POOF GONE HI JOHN

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

You are not far from....

I star & flag You, skeptic boncho!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

You are not far from....

I star & flag You, skeptic boncho!

Well you got mine tonight to
boncho

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The thread may not be about Rossi, but Rossi is the person who precipitated the interest. The world had a periodic table to select from and Rossi narrowed the field to Ni and H, for starters.
The ECats will be shown to work as will the Defkalion units. NRL has been investigating this since 1989 and knows that there is an effect.
The hot fusion boys are still pretending that there are instrumental errors and that this is 'pseudoscience' in the hope that it will go away. Richard Garwin, Nathan Lewis, and other egomaniacs had better prepare to spin their earlier comments so that they can claim that they, too, knew that there was an effect and that it should be investigated.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

There may be an effect, but what is it? Is it nuclear? I've seen some evidence of some effect, but the evidence it's nuclear is frankly not convincing so far. The effect could be some kind of battery effect for all I know, in fact isn't nickel used in batteries? Like NiMH, etc?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

neutron-capture processes.
Tell us more please. Thats free energy. Neutrons are free.

We had low energy nuclear reactions called K Capture since time began.
People are just too afraid to usurp the energy kings like Tesla proposed.
And he made some of them creating his own opposition.
And now the Tesla opposition is in charge of free energy.
tech.groups.yahoo.com...
Seven thousand volts attached to iron brings on nuclear reactions.

Neutrino capture, the opposite of K Capture, is also free energy.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
All the stuff i read on lenr was that it produced a bunch of gamma rays. With new meta material tech focusing that radiation might make a new handy deathray. Stewie would be proud.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by boncho

The thread may not be about Rossi, but Rossi is the person who precipitated the interest. The world had a periodic table to select from and Rossi narrowed the field to Ni and H, for starters.
The ECats will be shown to work as will the Defkalion units. NRL has been investigating this since 1989 and knows that there is an effect.
The hot fusion boys are still pretending that there are instrumental errors and that this is 'pseudoscience' in the hope that it will go away. Richard Garwin, Nathan Lewis, and other egomaniacs had better prepare to spin their earlier comments so that they can claim that they, too, knew that there was an effect and that it should be investigated.

Actually no. I read plenty about LENR long before Rossi came out of the woodwork. Truthfully, I didn't pay much attention to it, as there was only the odd information released by Japanese, and a few obscure papers on DOE sites that are open for review. Someone posted a link over a year ago to a searchable database, but I remember reading more about hot fusion given that ITER was getting press at the time.

If anything Rossi capitalized on the community's LENR research. He took something that was known in small circles and he ran with it.

You should probably give Vortex a look, as the last two months have been interesting. Rossi's die-hard supporters are starting to lose faith, and Vortex cut 5 or 6 people from the mailing list because Rossi's opponents can't handle the ignorance about his actions.

The university of Bologna has cut ties with him citing contract defaults ($). He lied again about his customers, saying that he was shipping a 1mw reactor but it never left for delivery. He is now claiming to sell individual units cheaper than the 1mw units.

His other customer shut down their email, was a startup with no infrastructure, no nothing. He used them as marker to say how he would be rolling out units. He is also blaming "puppet masters" and "Primadonna" whatever the hell that means.

Everything he does is aimed at bringing in revenue. But he claimed in the beginning he didn't care about money.

Rossi's game is done.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

There may be an effect, but what is it? Is it nuclear? I've seen some evidence of some effect, but the evidence it's nuclear is frankly not convincing so far. The effect could be some kind of battery effect for all I know, in fact isn't nickel used in batteries? Like NiMH, etc?

If that is the effect, and they can develop a theory that explains it, that will be a great move forward in science. Think about how many years this anomaly has dumbfounded people, and all the controversy it has caused.

Hopefully an answer is down the road.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by boncho

Actually no. I read plenty about LENR long before Rossi came out of the woodwork. Truthfully, I didn't pay much attention to it, as there was only the odd information released by Japanese, and a few obscure papers on DOE sites that are open for review. Someone posted a link over a year ago to a searchable database, but I remember reading more about hot fusion given that ITER was getting press at the time.

If anything Rossi capitalized on the community's LENR research. He took something that was known in small circles and he ran with it.

You should probably give Vortex a look, as the last two months have been interesting. Rossi's die-hard supporters are starting to lose faith, and Vortex cut 5 or 6 people from the mailing list because Rossi's opponents can't handle the ignorance about his actions.

The university of Bologna has cut ties with him citing contract defaults ($). He lied again about his customers, saying that he was shipping a 1mw reactor but it never left for delivery. He is now claiming to sell individual units cheaper than the 1mw units.

His other customer shut down their email, was a startup with no infrastructure, no nothing. He used them as marker to say how he would be rolling out units. He is also blaming "puppet masters" and "Primadonna" whatever the hell that means.

Everything he does is aimed at bringing in revenue. But he claimed in the beginning he didn't care about money.

Rossi's game is done.

Without Rossi, this would be languishing in limbo. If this was aimed only at revenue, he would have accepted investor cash. He doesn't. As it is, he asks that money be put in escrow until the customer sees that the device meets expectations. If it meets specs, he gets the money and the customer then purchases a license to manufacture.
Watch Defkalion. THey have it also and will demo it fairly soon.

Rossi has been the key to get this out of the lab.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

There is too much energy coming out for this to be a chemical reaction. As this progresses, more evidence will be made publically available. I can understand the skepticism at this point, but Defkalion [who has figured out the ECat technology from their association with Rossi] will soon have a third party verification. After enough of these, the old guard will either accept it or be ignored. Of course, many will try to claim it and try to refine the theory to get their name on things.
Remember that we don't really understand much about nuclear physics. We know enough to make power reactors and bombs. All of our knowledge of nuclear reactions is from nuclear collisions at tens of kV on up. No one knew what happened at 3 eV in a metal matrix and assumed that nothing did. That is not true, anymore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join