It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Hyper-Speed Hard Drives... over 1TB per Second Write Speed!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Without torrents do we really need HDs bigger than 1TB?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
Yes a new hard drive, coming to a store near you soon, only $5000. LOL
All joking aside, we won't be seeing these for consumer use for a while. They have to mass produce new system boards and the such that can handle this.
I'm not sure they've made even one single working drive yet.

It sounds to me like they haven't. They've done some lab work to show some degree of feasibility, and published a paper. And I don't doubt their claims of some of the "potentials" that exist from this technology, however I can accurately claim that hot fusion has potential too and look at how long that is taking to engineer.

Get back to me when these are on the market and I'll look at price versus performance versus reliability versus efficiency at that point, but they are a very long way from commercial products using this tech. We can't even be sure if any will ever make it to market.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
just think, no more waiting for the computer to boot .... that is, until the software catches up and becomes even more bloated and slower, and then we are back in the boot time of hours (it feels like hours to me in any case) lol .....

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

... I wonder what else will get better this year.

Aston Villa - with any luck.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrastneyJPR

... I wonder what else will get better this year.

Aston Villa - with any luck.

You need to post that on one of the conspiracy forums - nonesense like that isn't entertained in here

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
As has been said, this probably won't make it to the store shelves anytime soon, but when it does come available to the GP, it will make a huge difference in corporate network security. Just think of backing up the server array in 5 minutes. (Why that would leave lots of time to screw around on ATS!)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well that figures since I just went shopping on-line yesterday and bought some new equipment.

I was thinking 6 GB per sec??? WTF??? 6 GB per second???

Then you read the fine print and thats not bytes its bits or something. Or they say Maximum, 5 Gb per sec, for USB 3. Thats maximum data transfer, in a perfect world.

edit on 8-2-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Yes a new hard drive, coming to a store near you soon, only $5000. LOL
All joking aside, we won't be seeing these for consumer use for a while. They have to mass produce new system boards and the such that can handle this.
I'm not sure they've made even one single working drive yet.

It sounds to me like they haven't. They've done some lab work to show some degree of feasibility, and published a paper. And I don't doubt their claims of some of the "potentials" that exist from this technology, however I can accurately claim that hot fusion has potential too and look at how long that is taking to engineer.

Get back to me when these are on the market and I'll look at price versus performance versus reliability versus efficiency at that point, but they are a very long way from commercial products using this tech. We can't even be sure if any will ever make it to market.

Why do you people always assume that just because a scientific breakthrough has been made...

That we are telling you to go check newegg?

I copied in the OP that the research paper hasn't even been published yet.

Do you people read? Just like being argumentative? Or do you just like seeing a post with your avatar beside it?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

I think this thread Glory Of Big Data is complimentary here, for added perspective. Now we have the hardware, software and plenty of data. A brave new world on the horizon?

spec

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's amazing what technology brings about every ten years, I bet fifty years from now we'll all have personal robots and wonder how we lived like we do today.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Read a bit about this yesterday from another news source.

Looks very promising.

Where can I get me a hyper-speed hard drive?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
My inner geek is, well (censored)

This would totally rock!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So, how do you get 1 Tb transfers to a drive? SATA3 is only rated 6Gbps so you'd need 167 SATA3 connections to the drive to sustain that. Since even current DDR3 SDRAM is slower than that (fastest currently is around 16Gbps), using a "memory type" interface wouldn't even be fast enough. Then again, would it be possible to have the HD replace RAM?

What's the read speed?
What's the MTBF (mean time between failure)?

And what about RAID configurations- say 10 in parallel: 8 striped for data, 2 for parity/ECC? That could theoretically increase the rate at least 4-fold.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Ummmmm...you do realize what the concept of the metric system is......right? 1000 bytes=kilobyte, 1000 kilobytes =1 megabyte, 1000 megabytes = 1 gigabyte and so on and so forth. I do not know where you got your numbers from, but I'd say that you need to rethink some of your numbers.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo.

As a comparison the fastest SSDs available right now can "only" write around 600MBs/second.

mine goes at about 1500MB/s

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

actually mate its 1024 bytes to a Mb 1024 Mb to gigabyte and 1024Gb to a terabyte

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Neilc1972

What?! I didn't get the memo on that one. -1 cudos for the education system up here. The way I tried saying it to you is literally the exact same words that a teacher used to describe it to me. I really hate teachers.......Goes to show...if you cannot do....teach!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

yep for some strange reason everyone leaves off the 24 not sure why

edit on 8-2-2012 by Neilc1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

It's a conspiracy dammit!
(Sorry I had to lol.)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

there are 8 bits in a byte, which causes confusion

There has been considerable confusion about the meanings of SI (or metric) prefixes used with the unit byte, especially concerning prefixes such as kilo (k or K) and mega (M) as shown in the chart Prefixes for bit and byte. Since computer memory is designed with binary logic, multiples are expressed in powers of 2, rather than 10. The software and computer industries often use binary proximates of the SI-prefixed quantities, while producers of computer storage devices prefer the SI values. This is the reason for specifying computer hard drive capacities of, say, 100 GB, when it contains 93 GiB of storage space.[citation needed]
While the numerical difference between the decimal and binary interpretations is small for the prefixes kilo and mega, it grows to over 20% for prefix yotta, illustrated in the linear-log graph (at right) of difference versus storage size.

wiki

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join