It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US seizes 307 websites; grabs $4.8M in fake NFL merchandise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

The piracy, counterfeit and copyright battle has moved to the Super Bowl.

Speaking a National Football League press conference ahead of this weekend's Super Bowl the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said special agents this week seized a total of 307 websites and snatched up 42,692 items of phony Super Bowl-related memorabilia along with other counterfeit items for a total take of more than $4.8 million - up from $3.72 million last year.

Sixteen of the sites the agency shut down during this operation known as Fake Sweep, were illegally streaming live sporting telecasts over the Internet, including NFL games. Two hundred ninety-one website domain names were illegally selling and distributing counterfeit merchandise, ICE stated.

Really, 4.8 million? Could that be a slight exaggeration?

It looks like we have our priorities straight in this country; Start wars with other countries, and also on the internet, because GOD FORBID anyone messes with the SUPERBOWL, that's BLASPHEMY!

I think the "great internet war" has officially begun, and while they may seize some "legitimate" domains, it will make it fair game to literally take down any website they please. This is just the desensitization process. No, they didn't really need SOPA, they already had the paperwork they needed to take down ANY website.

(Source)
edit on 2-2-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
thats copyright protection i like =)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So much for needing SOPA.

I'm in London and go to firstrowsports every day to watch some late night NBA. I guess I should say goodbye.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
are you getting the message yet guys? srsly, last time I repeat this, I told you so.

>_> plan anyone?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

I like it too. They need to do more in that area.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Actually I am not bothered by this.

SOPA/PIPA was worded to where you could cause like a 90% collateral damage while taking down copyright infringement. It was a disaster.
The argument against it was, we already have laws protecting copyright, this is unnecessary and clearly designed for information control moreso than anything to do with piracy.

So, your right..they didn't need SOPA/PIPA to attack copyright infringments...and thats what we were saying. I shed no tear towards websites that specifically are hosting stuff that is infringing on people..they will be taken down, and should be. Linking to, discussing, or otherwise passive unintentional CR without due process is the issue

Only pirates (and even in that group, only some pirates) cry out against anti-piracy movements. the anti-sopa/pipa movement isnt about being pro-piracy. its about reading what was written and realizing it was about content control throughout the web in general.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
*sigh*

good for, the american government, for stoping those terrible evil broadcasters without liscenses...and such...

but seriously, first mega goes, everyones like 'm...kay...' and then 300 sites in a day, and your like 'm.......kay'

not seeing the big picture are we.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

My main point was that "we have our priorities straight," and that they did NOT need SOPA...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
firstrowsports.tv is dead

firstrowsports.eu

works fine!!!!

Way to stay a step ahead!!!!

Watched every Saints game out of market last year for free.

Catch some NBA games every once in awhile. Not to mention free WWE pay per views, and looking forward to the upcoming MLB season.

Leave the internet alone.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

They did this last year as well. Nothing new.

Besides, the NFL has promised to air the Superbowl on the internet, free of charge this year. It will encourage revenues for the advertisers.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I am not advocating piracy, but I think people tend to seek out these things because it becomes near impossible for regular Joes to see it legally.

Case in point, my local sports teams used to be broadcast on network TV, with advertising revenue supporting the broadcast. Now it is all run through digital cable, and the games are on special cable sports packages, or channels. So to watch a local game, you are best subscribing....

I'm not a huge fan of sports, so instead of subscribing I will just go to the local bar. Maybe the local bar doesn't pay the fee to broadcast it in the pub, well here now I can't win either way can I?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Only pirates (and even in that group, only some pirates) cry out against anti-piracy movements. the anti-sopa/pipa movement isnt about being pro-piracy. its about reading what was written and realizing it was about content control throughout the web in general.

Drivel. Really, that's kind of embarrassing to read Saturn.

Right up there with, "You're with us or the turrorists."

Many people "cry out" against 'anti-piracy movements', because many of the proposed measures actually harm the consumers first, and do nothing to the 'pirates', second. You'll find handfuls of game developers that are openly against 'anti-piracy measures', for instance. I suppose they're 'only pirates' though, durr hurr.

Dig deep enough and you'll realize the "movements" and "measures" have absolutely nothing to do with fighting piracy, and all to do with monopolizing industries and creating corporate power vacuums. The big (and obvious) corporate agenda.

It's not exactly in any small-time company's best interests to be championing anti-piracy movements that only benefit the corporate overlords and moguls. I love it when a mega-corp and a multi-million dollar lobbying firm try to rationalize their behavior by claiming it's to "protect the industry and it's newcomers"... because they all have such a wonderful track record for not monopolizing and allowing an industry to grow fairly, right?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Copyright law is one of the principle aspects of a strong capitalist society. To say we shouldn't protect copyright is absolute nonsense and the outcome would be asking to adopt the models of the worst economies on earth.

If you don't protect copyright, then business, companys, corporations, etc all stop producing for that country and stop shipments..why would they give access to a bunch of thieves?

the movement for sopa/pipa was not targetting copyright infringement specifically, they were using nuclear bombs wherever there may have been a violation, destroying all things surrounding. This is why I and many others rejected sopa/pipa. because it was demanding napalm for a fly when a fly swatter is already in existance.

You can cry about monopolys and such, and it doesn't matter...its how the west is set up. a company that exclusively invents something, wants to keep it theres verses every joe simply grab their content and repackage it as their own.
You can pretend that gaming companys are against anti-piracy attempts...I can pretend Madonna is a virgin. Both are an exercise in fantasy however. Some responsible gaming industries are against things like sopa/pipa, but they do cheer loudly when an account hosting a game for pirates is taken down....not the service, but the specific account.

top topics

join