It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police dashcam catches meteor or possible ufo?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hey all.... Came across this clip today of a police dashcam that caught a bright white light streak across the sky, I'm unsure what it is. The FAA stated that it was a meteor, I thought meteors moved much faster than what the clip shows... Anyway I found the clip interesting so I thought I would share it was the ATS community. The sighting happened in the Texas/Oklahoma skys...

Mods - I ran a search and didnt find this clip so if it was already posted I do apologize and feel free to shut down this thread.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-2-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
here it is embedded:

I would have guessed plane. Or possibly even a car on another road...the perspective is off cause it is dark.

But if none of the above then my vote goes to meteor.

Actually...since it was seen over such a wide area according to the YouTube comments, I'm definitely going with meteor.

edit on 2-2-2012 by webpirate because: additional thoughts

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here's the clip embedded:

This story was all over the news last night (along with a different video clip), the meteorologist described it as a classic meteor sighting. Apparently there was a loud "boom" that accompanied it, the meteorologist said it was a sonic boom. I didn't hear anything, but one of my coworkers said he heard it and thought a transformer had blown up.

EDIT to add: here is a link to the video clip that was shown on the news last night. I can't embed it because it's not a Youtube video.

www.wfaa.com...
edit on 2-2-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I honestly thought meteors went much faster than that once they broke through Earths atmosphere, and to think it was seen for 2 states im surprised it stayed up that long... But to be honest with you, I dont know much about meteors...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Excellent. Saw this last night on CNN and was waiting for some one to bring it. Soft focus police dash cam makes for difficult analysis but certain things in my mind made my sphincter tingle right away. It doesn't flash and pulse or trail sparks the way a meteor usually does. Its white, steady and fast across the background. At the presented view point it is difficult to determine if it is descending and diminishing or tracking straight and level.

At least the camera was steady instead of hand held. Source video makes study difficult, maybe there are other views or reports in the area.

NOT plane, balloon, bird, blimp, venus, chinese lantern, helo, or firework. Meteor?
Surely UN-identified at this time.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

And I also believe its a credible source knowing that it came from a police dashcam and not some kid who was playing around with some computer graphics software...
edit on 2-2-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

That's why my first thought was a car on another road...with a skewed perspective because of the darkness. I know at least where I live the space station has only been passing over where it could be seen in the early morning hours the last couple of weeks, but I have seen it pretty bright.

Since it was so widespread according to the comments..Houston to Oklahoma it almost has to be a meteor. As for the speed...again..we don't know the actual angel or perspective so it could still have been traveling at a pretty good clip but was farther way than it looked. So it seemed slower. They usually don't that that white either that close in but that is a really weird angle to see it at too.

Some of the best shots of meteors come from cams like this or security cams. But I'm still sticking to the meteor theory.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Is it possible that it is a vehicle on an overpass? That was my first thought.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
A meteor would have a tail right?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

It looks like it cant be that knowing that it was seen passing over 2 states (Oklahoma and Texas)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

That was mine too, but it was seen over at least 2 states at the same time. So I'm guessing meteor making a very low angle approach after already breaching the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
A meteor would have a tail right?

That's exactly what I thought, the object doesnt break apart at all, it keeps its shape as it goes across the sky

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Thanks for the different angle. Gimme a minute and I'll have it on youtube and embedded.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

I thought that too but if it was a vehicle heading away from the dash cams location wouldn't the lights gradually turn red due to taillights? Or was the driver of said car driving with his brakes on the whole time? I dunno...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don't think it was an airplane. An airplene flying away like in that video would show a different sets of lights. so, that's out of the way.. someone else said it was another car on a road on top... I don't think it was another car going on a road on top. same like the plane... a car traveling away from you, you will see the back red lights, and may be some fade of head lights depending on the angle. A meteor? maybe, but if is, then It flew very close to earth. UFO? possible

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Wow... pretty cool fireball!

Eye-witness Daryn Morran reports: "At approximately 756pm CST, over Abilene, Texas, I saw an object falling from the sky much brighter and long-lasting than anything I've seen. [The fireball] lasted close to 8 secs before completely burning out. At first, it was bright white, and then started slowing down and getting brighter. Then it exploded like a firecracker artillery shell into several pieces, flickered a few more times and then slowly burned out... awesome!!!"

Nasa dude says probably a rock about the size of a bus.

According to Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office, this was probably a natural object--a small asteroid about the size of a car or bus--not a decaying satellite or other manmade space debris.

spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The Meteor was captured on another camera, there is a video at the story below.

A camera in Hawley, Texas that is designed to record the night sky shows a bright object briefly streaking across the image (watch the clip above).

Channel 8's Facebook page was filled with descriptions.

"VERY bright blue across the sky in Benbrook," said Stephanie Clingman Guyer. "It looked so close, long tail — very cool!"
www.wfaa.com...

Uploaded to You Tube...

edit on 2-2-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Here is another angle of it.....pretty cool view.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Yea thats a bad ass view.... I was pretty darn sure it wasnt a UFO, because more times than not it never is, but either way its a cool sighting and story....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

TY burntheships, you rock. That "FAA approved" statement and video is of the same object? It would have to be a time-lapse but I see no movement on the surface of planet like clouds or land masses to confirm this. Just a quick streak that appears and is gone. Can't be same object(?) How does the FAA get their conclusions and this "proof" up so fast anyway?

I hate it when they do that. Usually there is no response one way or the other about "sightings" but my hackles go up right away when they jump forward with a "debunk". Like they are quick to have all the evidence they need the next day already. If it was a meteorite that tracked over two states where is the radar printout, instead of this weather sat grainy stuff? And where did it come down?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join