It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Protect US Goods Globally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This sounds to me like more "world police" non-sense.

Source

It says potential economic threats to goods dependent on supplies from beyond U.S. borders are now a matter of national security and that the government must "resolve threats early."

"We have seen that disruptions to supply chains caused by natural disasters — earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions — and from criminal and terrorist networks seeking to exploit the system or use it as a means of attack can adversely impact global economic growth and productivity," the president wrote.

So basically it sounds to me like in the Japan incident we would have said. "Sorry about your big wave but you are screwing up our supply chain and we need you to not focus on your people, but to focus on America, and get us our stuff."

It also basically says we should press all trade partners to have an open book policy on all of their affairs and tell us what we want to know uh hum "information sharing agreements"

Is this another future excuse to start a war...

The strategy has far-reaching implications. It not only would apply to all cargo goods entering the country by ship, airplane or truck — the U.S. already inspects all of what it considers to be the highest-risk cargo — but also could set the stage for U.S. action to strengthen the security provided in other countries.

Not only do we know what is best for our citizens, we know what is best for you.
This reminds be of Timmy Geithner going to Europe to tell them how they should resolve there "crisis" and them giving him the cold shoulder, as if to say get your own mess in order before you try to give someone else advice.
edit on 1/25/2012 by HiHoAZaway because: add

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
To me I read this as Obama is securing America through tighter inspections as to what enters our country, and if outside america our imports are bringing things that could harm america then the country(s) that allow this to leave their ports should be monitored by american government, if they dont want to comply with safer measure then we stop business with then. I get it how cant you? in this article I see it he is looking to secure not only america but all places we do trade with for us and them, it sounds win win to me, and this also sounds like something that was pre planned decades before Obama took office he is just in the seat continuing the original plans. peace

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

Well what I see is that the administration is wanting to control everyone else. It should be the other way around. If we don't like how they are doing business then we stop doing business with them, we don't force them to do it our way. Oh wait... we don't have any choice because the govt. way is to run off all of our businesses and factories so we don't have any choice but to use others goods. Well we might as well force them to do it our way, even though our way didn't work for us. I see it how can you not!

Open your eyes this is not just goods "cargo" it also includes cyber and energy. This is not about the quality of goods we receive as you state, but it is about the disruption of the supply chain.

Why do people not see that if this was turned around it would not be so "win win" If a country we were trading with started demanding things from us "such as open book policy" Americans would be outraged. I can see it now, "who do they think they are telling us what we must do to trade with them, screw them we just won't trade with them."

edit on 1/25/2012 by HiHoAZaway because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/25/2012 by HiHoAZaway because: add

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't believe anything he says. He's in 2012 campaign mode. Actually, I'm thinking he's never left campaign mode. That's all he's ever done. And considering the campaign promise lies he's told through the years .... I'M NOT BUYING WHAT HE"S SELLING!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I agree with President Obama. America needs to quit outsourcing jobs and bring manufacturing back to the United States. Also I agree with the point that we need to promote more (globally) goods manufactured right here in America.

Written transcript of his message: www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
To me I read this as Obama is securing America through tighter inspections as to what enters our country, and if outside america our imports are bringing things that could harm america then the country(s) that allow this to leave their ports should be monitored by american government, if they dont want to comply with safer measure then we stop business with then. I get it how cant you? in this article I see it he is looking to secure not only america but all places we do trade with for us and them, it sounds win win to me, and this also sounds like something that was pre planned decades before Obama took office he is just in the seat continuing the original plans. peace

I wish I could give you 30 more stars. 10 for such a great point
and 20 for seeing his speech for what it really was: pro-American.
His speech will make a bunch of ATS members heads explode!
The ones that didn't like his speech must be pro China.
Pro American made and pro balanced trade.
How will they argue against this? I can't wait.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I agree with President Obama. America needs to quit outsourcing jobs and bring manufacturing back to the United States. Also I agree with the point that we need to promote more (globally) goods manufactured right here in America.

Its funny you say that ... Its HIS policies that have forced companies to outsource in the first place. Because its too costly to hire in the states.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I don't believe anything he says. He's in 2012 campaign mode. Actually, I'm thinking he's never left campaign mode. That's all he's ever done. And considering the campaign promise lies he's told through the years .... I'M NOT BUYING WHAT HE"S SELLING!

Well I voted for the guy for one reason he said there was NO room in his administration for Lobbyist. Within 3 months of his term he had appointed something like 90 lobbyist to positions in his administration... That was all I needed to know. I immediately went back to my belief that POTUS is nothing but a puppet for their masters.

This little bill he "adopting" is just another expansion of our already "too big to fail" government.
It is a shame

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild

Its funny you say that ... Its HIS policies that have forced companies to outsource in the first place. Because its too costly to hire in the states.

Actually the biggest pusher of outsourced jobs was Karl Roves 501c American Crossroads
AC got the majority of their money to fund Tea Party candidates from China Russia and
India with the idea of keeping jobs overseas and away from Americans.
What a great American.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sealing

Here is the argument, it is "fluff"
Campaign "FLUFF"

Nothing more nothing less. talk to hear himself talk. He is very good at "talk" just like Reagan was.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HiHoAZaway

Im horning in here on this one, he is walking the walk. With his health care policy which only parts have been encated, the parts that are enacted are priceless for people like me, there is low cost clinics, low cost to no cost major medical, like this past saturday my 33 year old son broke his shin in 2 places, he works but has no insurance because of obama care we didnt have to drive some 160 miles to a county hospital it was done in my small city at the local hospital and the continuing care is all covered thank gawwwwwddddd. also, he has managed to stop the rich from gaing whilst poor are losing more. fair is fair. He is securing our borders and I personalloy know for a fact, I lived in montana 80 miles south of albert canda border and its tight there, then my home is actually in del rio tx a border city been here several years, he is made it near impossible for the illegals and drugs to get through, ( noting it still happens but not near as often) the fence is awesome they bought a mile of border land all the way across the border then at the american 1 mile into america is the sensored 12 foot metal fence so, if they cross this first mile and make it to the fence there lucky, they usually get caught in that first mile where the border patrol can hideout and ya its getting tight. he said he would make america safer and slowly even though republicans have noed him through 3 years he has managed to strengthen our very weak country. that is just 2 let me think on it and i know i will come up with a few more things obama has done even though republicans resist every move he makes...peace man

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
/editby]
edit on 1/25/2012 by HiHoAZaway because: Gave up on people

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HiHoAZaway

if you dig deep and consider, America basically imports more foreign crap then any other country therefore just guessing here, if America did stop buying just how long before they cry for us to buy their crap that helps put them in middle or upper incomes. So if we consider one of the thousands of duties Obama has to America I believe to insure our safety is more then a fair trade considering all we get out of it is knowing security is tighter, they get to fill their bank accounts and wallets, I say they get the better deal. Besides it isn't just Obama this has been in the creation sense America began. Its called The American Project, Google it. Nough said.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing

Fully brainwashed. Unbelievable.

It's not security, in the way you think it is.

The USA produces NOTHING but weapons and other military hardware. Everything else was "outsourced" LONG ago, in case you hadn't noticed. In the 60s the US was the producer for the world, producing more than everyone else put together. In case none of you had noticed, the US now has to import EVERYTHING because they are producing nothing. The US could be brought to her knees in a matter of days if the OTHER COUNTRIES that we rely on to supply us with pretty much everything decided to stop sending it. Even the produce in the store is mostly imported from Chile, Mexico, and who knows where.

The artificial GDP is more than half "financial services", in other words, pencil pushers swindling money by swapping numbers in computers, producing NOTHING, in fact just being a drain on the rest, like a mosquito or a tick, or really on this scale, a vampire. A whole bunch of vampires. Preying on the rest of us.

Nothing else is made in the USA anymore, in case you hadn't noticed. Nothing but guns, rockets, missiles, planes, and warships. Kind of strange, I think. No one else seems to think so. We are the merchants of death to the world, nothing else. Oh, also kings of financial swindling. That's about it.

If, say, the BRIC nations decided to impose "sanctions" on the US like they are doing to Iran, the US would dissolve into rioting and chaos in a week. All your food, all your clothes and furniture and cars and TVs, and the oil which moves it all, comes from abroad. How long you think it would go on without that? And the mighty US military, which can't even take over a country the size of Iraq, even with ten years to work on it, ain't gonna even try to take on BRIC militarily. The paper tiger would be exposed for what it is.

Wars are won by taking out the enemy's supply lines. An army "marches on its stomach". Since the US relies completely on planet-wide supply lines for pretty much everything, well, think about it. This is what they are worried about, and what this speech means. They don't care if YOU eat lead-filled gummy bears from China or whatever, which is the "security" that you are whining about.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild

Um, no it is the Bush era that made industry leave, did you read the transcript? He said he wants and has been saying for a long time he wants to change tax laws to also help bring industry back.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Originally posted by sealing

Fully brainwashed. Unbelievable.

It's not security, in the way you think it is.

The USA produces NOTHING but weapons and other military hardware. Everything else was "outsourced" LONG ago, in case you hadn't noticed. In the 60s the US was the producer for the world, producing more than everyone else put together. In case none of you had noticed, the US now has to import EVERYTHING because they are producing nothing. The US could be brought to her knees in a matter of days if the OTHER COUNTRIES that we rely on to supply us with pretty much everything decided to stop sending it. Even the produce in the store is mostly imported from Chile, Mexico, and who knows where.

The artificial GDP is more than half "financial services", in other words, pencil pushers swindling money by swapping numbers in computers, producing NOTHING, in fact just being a drain on the rest, like a mosquito or a tick, or really on this scale, a vampire. A whole bunch of vampires. Preying on the rest of us.

Nothing else is made in the USA anymore, in case you hadn't noticed. Nothing but guns, rockets, missiles, planes, and warships. Kind of strange, I think. No one else seems to think so. We are the merchants of death to the world, nothing else. Oh, also kings of financial swindling. That's about it.

If, say, the BRIC nations decided to impose "sanctions" on the US like they are doing to Iran, the US would dissolve into rioting and chaos in a week. All your food, all your clothes and furniture and cars and TVs, and the oil which moves it all, comes from abroad. How long you think it would go on without that? And the mighty US military, which can't even take over a country the size of Iraq, even with ten years to work on it, ain't gonna even try to take on BRIC militarily. The paper tiger would be exposed for what it is.

Wars are won by taking out the enemy's supply lines. An army "marches on its stomach". Since the US relies completely on planet-wide supply lines for pretty much everything, well, think about it. This is what they are worried about, and what this speech means. They don't care if YOU eat lead-filled gummy bears from China or whatever, which is the "security" that you are whining about.

IF you heard or read his speech he talked about industry leaving and he wants it back.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Are you even a democrat? I mean if you aren't then natch. I don't think anyone expects Republicans to vote for Obama...that would be kind of odd. Conversely I am not buying anything Newt or Mitt are selling. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I don't believe anything he says.

Are you even a democrat?

I'm not anything ... I've voted for Jimmy Carter (sorry America .. my apologies) and I've voted for Bush41 (sorry America .. my apologies). Democrat or republican doesn't matter .. he's proven himself a liar like the rest. As was mentioned a few posts ago ... his tricks with 'no lobbiest will find a job in my administration' was BS .. he's proven it himself ...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I don't believe anything he says.

Are you even a democrat?

I'm not anything ... I've voted for Jimmy Carter (sorry America .. my apologies) and I've voted for Bush41 (sorry America .. my apologies). Democrat or republican doesn't matter .. he's proven himself a liar like the rest. As was mentioned a few posts ago ... his tricks with 'no lobbiest will find a job in my administration' was BS .. he's proven it himself ...

Well you won't find me disagreeing with you! lol Did you hear about the latest dramatic rescue by the seals? At least the man is doing something right even if it is just giving the go ahead to shoot at pirates and take out terrorists and rescue captive Americans that need "rescuing" a little more urgently than the rest of us here at home suffering without jobs.

join