It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M8.7 Solar Flare and CME Have Hit Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

NASA's Goddard Space Weather Center's models predict that the CME is moving at almost 1,400 miles per second, and could reach Earth's magnetosphere – the magnetic envelope that surrounds Earth -- as early as Jan 24 at 9 AM ET (plus or minus 7 hours). This has the potential to provide good auroral displays, possibly at lower latitudes than normal.

Says +/- 7 hours, Well it has already passed 9am here on the East Coast and quite some hours after that so if it has already hit , unfortunately I did not see anything unusual as expected of a M9 class flare.

Not to be discouraging but this thread is for anyone to post anything they've recorded or snapped pictures of during the M9 and CME. Waiting for pictures of Aurora's from more south than normally expected.
edit on 24-1-2012 by ZeroUnlmtd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Here in England,
Nothing Unusual.
Would a solar flare Only affect a local area? or would it affect the entire globe, I don't know for sure?
anyone know?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Corrupted Data

an M9 should give us a little lightshow in alot of places but no reports so far

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
where at? my Direct tv is still working

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Actually, a big enough solar flare should cause some communications interruptions..such as cell phones dropping calls, net acting slow and wonky, etc...basically mucking with the satellites if memory serves me right.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Actually, a big enough solar flare should cause some communications interruptions..such as cell phones dropping calls, net acting slow and wonky, etc...basically mucking with the satellites if memory serves me right.

yea but since an M9 isn't that great we shouldn't expect much

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Corrupted Data

they said GPS will probably act wonky today, and maybe some satellite dispruptions, that may be it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

solar EMP is more likely to effect longer metalic structures like antenna and power lines than electronics, key words more and likely.

I checked my usual spots, i'm seeing the persistant rad storm but where is this geomagnetic aroura causing wave of um, fire? hot sun stuff maybe..

here are my usual spots fyi

www.swpc.noaa.gov...
www2.nict.go.jp... _>
edit on 24/1/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I thought it was interesting that they are diverting or lowing the Northern most flights in the US. They said it could affect the power grid but the key word is could. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 7 hours or so.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
I thought it was interesting that they are diverting or lowing the Northern most flights in the US. They said it could affect the power grid but the key word is could. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 7 hours or so.

Probably nothing. Our lives will go on boring and dull and robotic as usual... I'm not a non believer, I'm saying that only to express my disappointment because usually nothing ever happens... :

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Anything to do with this -

Link-www.dailymail.co.uk...

Link-www.dailymail.co.uk... ghts.html

Has been raining all day were i live in the uk,would love to see it myself.

Regards to all
edit on 30/09/10 by FeatheredSerpent because: 2nd link for pics

edit on 30/09/10 by FeatheredSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

they are lowering the maximum altitude because of the solar radiation storm, spacewalkers have to avoid EVA operations aswell in such circumstances (extra vehicular activity IE being outside the craft.)

at this level there is little if no danger to the earth itself, unless you count the gaping hole in the ozone layer.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Im on the east coast and nothing happen for me, but a friend internet was acting up and they did say something was wrong with their servers

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname

solar EMP is more likely to effect longer metalic structures like antenna and power lines than electronics, key words more and likely.

LOL, I have metallic rods in my back, wonder what kind of effect I'll have.

edit on 24-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

LOL, I have metallic rods in my back, wonder what kind of effect I'll have.

i doubt you'll turn into wolverine ..... but we can hope

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

=O well, I sure hope they made those out of something non conductive >_>

in all seriousness however, the last -major- one people think back to was this

en.wikipedia.org...

and that was a -looong- time ago. still, if you start emitting hundereds of thousands of volts, find a faraday cage O_o

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Manhater

=O well, I sure hope they made those out of something non conductive >_>

in all seriousness however, the last -major- one people think back to was this

en.wikipedia.org...

and that was a -looong- time ago. still, if you start emitting hundereds of thousands of volts, find a faraday cage O_o

This would probably blow up both you and your faraday cage

edit on 24-1-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
"Correction and New Data.
Earlier, it was stated that the current Solar Radiation Storm was the largest since May 2005, when the 10 MeV protons exceeded over 3000 PFU. This was not correct.
At the time of the earlier post, this current Storm was the biggest since January 2005, when the 10 MeV flux was 5040 pfu. After the arrival of the CME earlier today, the 10 MeV flux again increased and we were at around 6300 pfu.

This is now the largest Solar Radiation Storm since October 2003. (The Halloween Storms)

www.facebook.com...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
edit on 24/1/2012 by villunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by villunder

... and guess what, still no power failures this side, AND TV still working, AND GPS still working, AND all my computers are also still working, and when I left the TV studio, all our equipment was still working ... I am sure HF radio will have some interesting effects, but my HF rig is off-line right now, so can't comment on that

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

I got a bit of a headache last night/this morning, but that's probably because the GF wouldn't stop yapping at 104db right in my ear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join