It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia will be blacked out.Protesting against SOPA act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Wikipedia will be blacked out.Protesting against SOPA act

en.wikipedia.org

Just as you can see Wikipedia has announced a protest against the sopa act. Hopefully it will make some consider the SOPA act. Will this affect you? Do you think it is effective? I do since I find wiki pages interesting and at times educating. I have not heard much from news stations except on newsnight (BBC) maybe they don’t want people to know?
For some that may not know...Alexa (internet Information Company) places wiki at number 6 worldwide.

Sorry for any mistakes.
EDIT- This is the article posted by them about the anti-SOPA blackout
Wiki article

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
calgary.ctv .ca
www.alexa.com
edit on 17/1/12 by hellzdoms because: Extra link

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I find this Wikipedia protest really interesting after it follows or encourages other websites like reedit (I believe) to join in and black out their websites. This is a great campaign in my opinion especially with such a website that is written by people. Also the popularity of it makes it stand out and hopefully will show more people that SOPA is a bad thing.
EDIT- This is the article posted by them about the anti-SOPA blackout
Wiki article

en.wikipedia.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17/1/12 by hellzdoms because: Extra link

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think this is great. It sends a fairly strong message to the TPTB that they're heading in a direction that many will not follow. I'm sure the forces behind SOPA and PIPA will continue to try and inact their policies in some form or another but for now this is a win.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Yeah thats what I think..Especially when a big website does it..I dought that websites like facebook would,or even youtube would do such thing. Well either way hopefully we all can some how stop this.

We may have lost a battle,but not the war- Modern warfare refrence when you lose a game..Not really relating to anti-SOPA people on here.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

Thanks for the link. I'm passing it along to my congressman and senators with a love note.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
So...is ATS gonna black out?
I think every website should.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I would like to suggest a 24 hr (at minimum) blackout for ATS, as a clear display of opinion AGAINST SOPA.

I would also like to suggest that ATS members boycott any website/firm that backs this horrid abuse of a law.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
So...is ATS gonna black out?
I think every website should.

Here, here!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

I just got an Email from the group that is sponsoring this black out for any INTERNET site that wants to participate, when people link to the site it wll have a page to encourage them to contact congress about the SOPA act.

I don't have an INTERNET site so I can not help but I already sign a petition against SOPA.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

No cloak and daggers here, your either in , or out.

Imgur
Tor Project
Miro
iSchool at Syracuse University
Oreilly.com
Wikipedia
Reddit
Mozilla
WordPress.org
icanhazCheezburger Network
MoveOn.org
Good Old Games
TwitPic
Minecraft
Free Press
Mojang
XDA Developers
Destructoid
Good.is
Google
Wikipedia
reddit
Mozilla
WordPressicanhazcheezburger network sites (FailBlog, theDailyWhat,Know Your Meme, etc)
Tucows
VanillaForums
The RawStoryOpen
Congress / PPF
Internet ArchiveMiro
Universal Subtitles
Namecheap
TwitPic
dotSUB
MoveOn.org
Gog.com
MineCraft
Tor Project
webhostingbuzz.com
RageMaker
Destructiod
Red 5 studios
A Softer World
Greenpeace International
The LeakyWiki
XDA-Developers
Center for Technology and Democracy
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Indenti.caMajor
League Gaming
Imgur
Monticello Capitol
Crypto Cat
Colossal Mind
Errata Security
FreakOutNation
SlashTHREEFocus
On the Facts
City News
Strategy Tune
WPS Security Lock
openSUSE
Smirking Chimp
Bread Without Bullets
iSchool at Syracuse University
nomacs Image Lounge
ComputerHope
PhantomTS
News2Map.com
Safex.tk
DatelineZero
Liberty Confidential
Victor Rix
WJSimpson
Spurs of The Moment
peeje
DigiBase
Ron Bercume Design
Jazz Sequence
Plague Studio
ViperZeroOne
Elephant Talk Wiki

If you can also tweet at us at @FightForTheFTR from your official Twitter account, it will be easier for us to verify your participation. A blog post about why you are striking is great too!

EDIT: -

Hi people there are simply toooooo many sites to be mentioned within the post so take a look at the link and re-assess what is actually happening and who is actually participating, kinda makes you think when it all boils down to crunch time....right ?

sopastrike.com...

EDIT-2

Makes me laugh at all those sites who refer to free speach and all the whistles and bells and yet, i simply do not see any of them being listed....unless someone in here is able to spot them out. If you do simply repost with the sites name so we are all aware of who is supporting what.
edit on 17-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

This is whats all about...cahooonas they have

EDIT-3

If you like please upload known sites that will be off line simply by ....well follow this ats link and you will get the picture...but please continue to write down anything within this thread as the other thread is strictly for screen shots and perhaps some of your thoughts, but lets keep it simple and to the point. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The blackout has begun on wikipedia.org, the English version. All the other languages are still up but they have a warning banner about the legislation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I just want to say congratulations to Wikipedia - they have a lot of students using their services so they are in an ideal position to force a lot of apathetic youngsters to understand what is going on beyond their blinkered world of bling and gansta rap.
In fact, if Facebook shutdown for 24 hours, a lot of them might indeed believe that 2012 is the End of the World as we know it and that the Mayans were right.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Google has "blacked out" their name on the home page as well.

I would like to see more site participate in this. Maybe it can be done again next week as well and more could join in.

Raist

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
I just want to say congratulations to Wikipedia - they have a lot of students using their services so they are in an ideal position to force a lot of apathetic youngsters to understand what is going on beyond their blinkered world of bling and gansta rap.
In fact, if Facebook shutdown for 24 hours, a lot of them might indeed believe that 2012 is the End of the World as we know it and that the Mayans were right.

How to defeat the wikipedia blackout:

Go to the site, once the site blacks out with their stupid little message, click on the link that says "Learn more", you are then taken to a page listing their "reasons" for being so selfish, at the top of the page, there is the search bar - simply type in whatever it is you want to look at and as soon as the normal article loads, press the "stop" button on your browser and the blackout screen wont reappear.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I am going to make it a point to donate to wikipedia after this is over.
They are really helping to educate folks and I appreciate the heck outta that.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

I wrote a thread just on the subject of how to get around the Wikipedia blackout. Great minds think alike.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

of course you can get around it, but maybe, just maybe a few people are going to find out what SOPA means. Google has blacked out their logo, but not Google South Africa which p's me off. SOPA affects the whole world - it's American legislation that is almost as bad as a military invasion.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I have joined the protest by blacking out my Wordpress blog site, it also allows folks visiting to contact their local politicians.

Anyone with a Wordpress account can do the same with their blog.

Stop the Government from censoring the Internet!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
What do members of ATS think about my letter to my Congressman and Senator (they will be separate with different names).

Dear Congressman Mica:

I am contacting you in regards to the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act). The internet is a form of communication, mass information, and entertainment enjoyed by over a billion people across the globe and millions here in the United States. While the overwhelming majority of internet users acknowledge the immoral and unnecessary act of online piracy we do not believe such an infringement into the internet because of the issue is justifiable.

The act will necessarily hold independent websites responsible for the irresponsible actions of others which happen to be linked on their site. Imagining that an internet forum which takes fantastic precautions to guarantee plagiarism and piracy is not permitted will be punished because of a mere connection to another site by a poster pasting a link is beyond absurd.

People in Washington wonder why their approval rating is appallingly low; this is a perfect reason as to why. Inquire no further, the mere incompetence of this proposed law is so stunning that one must wonder that either the Congress is filled with incompetents, who then do not need the job, or is filled with sinister betrayers of the American people, which would also mean you do not need the job. This is not accusing you personally of being either as your views on the act are not yet known.

Americans are growing tired of the invasive, corrupt, and damaging legislation pouring out of Washington, D.C. Stand up and prove yourself to not be among the Neanderthals or traitors roaming the capital built by our ancestors. Let your constituents, and the nation, know that you are not a member of the criminal class. Vote ‘NAY’ on SOPA and PIPA.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I love your letter. Though part of me believes if you get a reply it will be a "of course I am against the bills" and then a vote of yes will be put in. I trust all of DC as far as I can throw the collective group.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join