It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia to go dark Wednesday in protest against SOPA, PIPA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I am suprised no one has started an aveez petition on this..

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
So because you have a problem in America, you people feel it is acceptable to punish the entire Anglophone world. American self-centredness and arrogance really does never cease to amaze me.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium
So because you have a problem in America, you people feel it is acceptable to punish the entire Anglophone world. American self-centredness and arrogance really does never cease to amaze me.

The legislation is American but its implications effect the entire internet, anyone who uses the internet should be concerned, no matter what country you are from.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Seems like SOPA has been stopped

www.thedailysheeple.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Noo! I need to study for an exam, and wikipedia always comes in handy. #ing SOPA.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Who cares?Wikipedia?Really?One of the most unreliable sites on the internet? Not news.Not surprised it's on ATS though.

Of course it's news, its one of the biggest websites in the world (ranked 6th by Alexa). You'd have to be stupid to think that wouldn't create headlines.
On the front page of BBC now by the way, and in the most read and shared category

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Noo! I need to study for an exam, and wikipedia always comes in handy. #ing SOPA.

Using Wiki#ia for this? A website were most articles have so many glarring flaws? Where idiots are running rampart writing crap and wrong facts?
No wonder today's Generation is so stupid if they use Wikipedia and other unrealiable websites. "Itz on da Intanet so it mast be tru!"

Would be best if Wikipedia stays black forever.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Now if google shutdown its search page for a day giving people the anti sopa message instead of there google search everyone would know about it!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

I partially agree but American corporations are trying to push their legislation on other countries. What makes it worse is that they have the power to say if you don't do this we'll cut this. Or they'll try to bully smaller companies. For example IiNet in Australia. This is why global media entities like Wikipedia need to make a stand and show the world whats happening.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Using Wiki#ia for this? A website were most articles have so many glarring flaws? Where idiots are running rampart writing crap and wrong facts?
No wonder today's Generation is so stupid if they use Wikipedia and other unrealiable websites. "Itz on da Intanet so it mast be tru!"

Nope, in fact Wikipedia is very accurate in natural sciences department (at least for quick checking of specific facts, or to get a basic overview of the subject). It of course wont replace scripts or books, but it always comes handy.

It is comparable to printed encyclopedias in reliability:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium

"If America sneezes, the rest of the world catches cold."

You have your thoughts exactly backwards.

We gave you the Internet-- You are welcome.

We gave the world a global view-- and then the world complains "What business is it of the US what others do?" and at the same time, complains, "Why is America asking us to be concerned what happens to them?" AND THEN, complains, "The US doesn't care what happens to anyone else!"

It cannot be all three.

So here is the truth-- we are all supposed to care how our actions effect others. The USA does that more than any other nation-- and THAT FACT just chaps the hide of the whining world who envy the USA. You know why? I do.

Because if other nations and other cultures had the power and influence that the USA has-- they would use it only for their own good-- and, therefore, are terribly afraid that the USA will one day do just that.

And, by the way, the USA got that power because the world was in terrible trouble, and came, dragged, kicking an screaming, into the global world as asked. So quit your whining.

edit on 17-1-2012 by Frira because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Announcement: Raw Story to go dark on January 18 to protest SOPA/PIPA

The news doesn’t stop. But if Congress passes the Stop Online Piracy Act or the Protect Intellectual Property Act, your access to it could — and the owners and publisher of Raw Story won’t stand for that. In protest of Congress’ interest in passing the legislation, Raw Story will join with sites like BoingBoing, Reddit, Wikipedia and IMGUR and black out from 8 am ET until 8 pm ET tomorrow, just to demonstrate what the government could end up doing to Americans in service of corporate interests (and their political donations and lobbying dollars).

Raw Story

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here's something worth four minutes of your time...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

So here is the truth-- we are all supposed to care how our actions effect others. The USA does that more than any other nation-- and THAT FACT just chaps the hide of the whining world who envy the USA. You know why? I do.

Is that like the time you nuked Japan? Looks like you really cared about the women and children you killed. How much do you care about the people growing up with deformities thanks to your "care", same for Bhopal, same for the Vietnamese, same for the Cubans you have been holding down with your blockade.

Envy the USA? BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hang on, hang on......

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, we're all envious of your fattest population on earth, third world healthcare, tent cities outside your major cities, SOPA, PATRIOT act, stone dead economy, appalling education system, faltering global influence and worthless dollar.

Because if other nations and other cultures had the power and influence that the USA has-- they would use it only for their own good-- and, therefore, are terribly afraid that the USA will one day do just that.

You mean "had". "The power you had". You didn't even invent your own language, you just simplified one!

And, by the way, the USA got that power because the world was in terrible trouble, and came, dragged, kicking an screaming, into the global world as asked. So quit your whining.

edit on 17-1-2012 by Frira because: (no reason given)

No wonder you believe you are still anything worth talking about if you believe that rubbish. You should change your identity to "American't"

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Nope, in fact Wikipedia is very accurate in natural sciences department (at least for quick checking of specific facts, or to get a basic overview of the subject). It of course wont replace scripts or books, but it always comes handy.

It is comparable to printed encyclopedias in reliability:
en.wikipedia.org...

Yes. In fact, where Wikipedia accretes the vast majority of its factual errors is from the many "popular" articles in which those with political agenda and/or CT mentality pounce.

Scholarly contributing editors spend many hours asking such vandals for sources, and almost always find the request ignored or an unsourced blog supplied as a source... just like many ATSers.

Guess how I know?!

Those who claim Wikipedia is a joke are the ones who go to, say, the "Apollo 11" page and are astounded to find that the technology and mission are treated "as if" they are generally accepted as factual. That exposure to the real world frightens them and sends them running for the shelter of unsourced bogs to tell them what is "real."

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

What in tarnation are you going on about? I think you might be lost in perhaps the wrong forum and thread. I see you are new here so it's understandable, but please take the off-topic chatter here:

911 forum

Thanks and peace...

Did I mention Wikipedia is going dark...and Raw Story...and....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join