It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oil-change conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The oil-change conspiracy.

Lots of people change the oil of their car at the interval that's recommended in the manual.

Some do it at shorter intervals, because they think it is better for the engine.

It is definitely worse for the environment.

I always have cars that are between 5 and 10 years old and have driven between 150,000 and 250,000 Kilometres, before I bought them.
On the first day that I have the car I flush the engine with cleaning oil.
Than I change the oil-filter and put a big magnet on the outside of the filter.
Then I add a ceramic oil additive to the oil.

When I have driven the car for 50,000 Kilometres I change the oil-filter, not the oil.
After another 50,000 to 80,000 kilometres I usually sell the car.
On average I had to add 2 to 3 litres of oil per 100,000 kilometres.

Always good mileage and never had any engine problem.
I have done this to diesel, petrol and LPG cars.
The car that I own now is a diesel. It is the 4th car that has the honour to be treated like this.

Maybe all this oil-change business is just a big scam!!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

It seems to be in the new also!

When was the last time state tax dollars went toward telling you not to do something?

Ads against drunk driving, certainly. Perhaps ads against smoking cigarettes.

But now, California is embarking on a campaign to persuade its citizens not to change their oil so much.

More modern motor oils, better control of the combustion process through vastly more powerful electronic circuitry, and the persistence of generations-old auto advice have combined to lengthen oil-change intervals.

autos.yahoo.com...

I don't know if it is a conspiracy though...seems to make good sense!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

I don't know how you can base this on only (if I've read correctly) 100,000kms?

A regular oil change allows a car to run more efficient and have a longer life, therefore keeping the entire car or it's engine off a scrap heap for longer as well producing cleaner emissions.

This outweighs the impact of the oil changes.

edit on 7/1/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Yes, I found that article this morning.
See my post as a reaction to this article.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I always had a very good mileage, and good running engines.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
There is something to be said for sythetic oil vs. natural oil though!

Car owners who want the very best for their vehicles commonly turn to synthetic motor oil, although this choice sometimes comes at the objection of natural oil enthusiasts who see no benefit to synthetic lubricants. While synthetic oil is somewhat more expensive than natural oil, and some debates about its benefits persist, synthetic oil holds a number of advantages over its natural counterpart.

synthetic vs. natural

So environmentally which is better..seems synthetic wins hands down!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

My experience with a particular model of car, one many a taxi driver uses here in Australia will do over a million km with a regular service schedule, this is more than an oil change of course but the same model without a service will be lucky to run at full capacity/efficiency at a quarter of the mileage.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
There is something to be said for sythetic oil vs. natural oil though!

Car owners who want the very best for their vehicles commonly turn to synthetic motor oil, although this choice sometimes comes at the objection of natural oil enthusiasts who see no benefit to synthetic lubricants. While synthetic oil is somewhat more expensive than natural oil, and some debates about its benefits persist, synthetic oil holds a number of advantages over its natural counterpart.

synthetic vs. natural

So environmentally which is better..seems synthetic wins hands down!

I agree with you.
Depending on the car I use full or semi-synthetic.
That still does not change the advised interval for oil-changes.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Pokoia

My experience with a particular model of car, one many a taxi driver uses here in Australia will do over a million km with a regular service schedule, this is more than an oil change of course but the same model without a service will be lucky to run at full capacity/efficiency at a quarter of the mileage.

What model are you talking about? Just curious what is used as a taxi in Australia!

Regular maintenance is crucial for a car...there are hundreds of studies that prove conclusively you have to maintain a vehicle to prolong its running life!

The introduction of synthetic oil may make that particular maintenance further out between changes...but it still needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Pokoia

A million KM??
I am impressed.
What is the speed limit in Australia?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Pokoia

a synthetic oil, as automotive experts recommend changing conventional oils every 2,500 miles while synthetic oils can last 5,000, 10,000, or even (in extreme cases) 25,000 miles.

synthetic vs. natural

I don't know about semi-synthetic...but with synthetic...there is a substantial difference!
edit on 7-1-2012 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Pokoia

a synthetic oil, as automotive experts recommend changing conventional oils every 2,500 miles while synthetic oils can last 5,000, 10,000, or even (in extreme cases) 25,000 miles.

synthetic vs. natural

I don't know about semi-synthetic...but with synthetic...there is a substantial difference!

My interval still is 62139 Miles, also with semi-synthetic.
And very good results.

link   

Ford Falcon.

It's a locally made vehicle, has a straight 6 motor with the basic block dating back to the 60's.

Sounds ancient I know but it meets Euro 4 Emission standards.

link   
I've had vehicles with engines over 350,000 miles on them. All because I would change the oil and use synthetic oil as well as Lucas engine restorer.
Its really thick and keeps all those moving parts well lubed for a long time. I would do it every 12,000 miles or so. I've seen friends (women mostly) who will use plain old oil and run their cars 10 or 20 thousand miles over the change interval and then wonder why their engine seizes up or their car starts acting funny. So I would say its definately needed, but maybe not so much as every 3k miles like what they say. It used to be recommended to change it every 5k miles, maybe they just moved down the mileage because most people wait too long to change their oil anyways. And by telling them to change it at 3k maybe they'll do it when it gets to 5k.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Maximum limit is 110km/hr

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Here is a bit more about the recommendations.

Was that a typo...your intervals are over 62,000 miles between changes?

Petroleum-based oil has a tendency to break down in normal engine use. At a certain duration it gets too hot and reaches a gas state, making it useless for lubrication purposes. Instead, the engine gets burned up residue which is commonly referred to as buildup or burnt carbon. Some of it gets washed off by the other oil, some of it doesn't and sticks to engine parts, reducing performance. Oil changes are needed frequently to avoid this problem (ergo every 3,000 to 5,000 miles). The durability of synthetic oil at the same engine temperature makes it a better-performing product because synthetic still stays in liquid, usable form longer. This tolerance for temperature means the oil can stay in the engine and can last as much as 7,000 miles before changing.

www.ehow.com...
edit on 7-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Ford Falcon.

It's a locally made vehicle, has a straight 6 motor with the basic block dating back to the 60's.

Sounds ancient I know but it meets Euro 4 Emission standards.

Looks like a decent modern car to me.

Is it this one you talk about?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Pokoia

Here is a bit more about the recommendations.

Was that a typo...your intervals are over 62,000 miles between changes?

Petroleum-based oil has a tendency to break down in normal engine use. At a certain duration it gets too hot and reaches a gas state, making it useless for lubrication purposes. Instead, the engine gets burned up residue which is commonly referred to as buildup or burnt carbon. Some of it gets washed off by the other oil, some of it doesn't and sticks to engine parts, reducing performance. Oil changes are needed frequently to avoid this problem (ergo every 3,000 to 5,000 miles). The durability of synthetic oil at the same engine temperature makes it a better-performing product because synthetic still stays in liquid, usable form longer. This tolerance for temperature means the oil can stay in the engine and can last as much as 7,000 miles before changing.

www.ehow.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">changing synthetic oil

No, not a typo.
More then 100,000 KM is more then 62,000 Miles.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Pokoia

Maximum limit is 110km/hr

We have Germany next door, good for some serious speeding.
In the Netherlands the speed limit is 120 and at some roads 130 KM/h

A million KM is still a very long distance.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Yup, that's the latest model and possibly the last.

Small volume cars aren't sustainable anymore, especially when GM and Ford USA are heading towards global platforms.

And yes it is a very well built car, they've just released it with Ford's new ecoboost 4 cylinder motor too.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join