It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Scientists Use 'Time Hole' to Make Events Disappear

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Pentagon Scientists Use 'Time Hole' to Make Events Disappear

www.wired.com

Soldiers could one day conduct covert operations in complete secrecy, now that Pentagon-backed physicists have figured out how to mask entire events by distorting light.

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting). They’ve published their groundbreaking research in this week’s edition of the journal Nature.

This is the first time that scientists have succeeded in masking an event, though research teams have in recent years made remar
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is heavy doc.

OK Time (if you havent guessed by now) is one of those things im fascinated with.

If im reading this article correctly what i think they have achieved(even for a split second) is to create a warp in observable reality. In the words of the editor of "Nature"

the research marks “a significant step towards full spatio-temporal cloaking.”

Can you Imagine a military that has the capacity to destroy an enemy and that event not even seem to have taken place?

You place an area in a temporal suspension. Go in with a task force. wipe out an entire village/town/country. walk out and turn off the field and the village/town/country is gone. No prying eyes to see or know what happened.

Wow the military really are 100 years ahead of us.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-1-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
just....wow

the implications that this technology could have in future conflicts...
its almost inconceivable...

WD

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think it masks ability to perceive time and events more than time itself...I could be wrong on that.
I really don't know much about this it was just my 1st impression.
Great find either way, very interesting S&F

edit on 4-1-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: add

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Woooooow that is absolutely incredible. This is quite possibly the most sci-fi thing that I have EVER heard of coming true...WOW!

+23 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
figures... rather than use such a discovery for the benefit of humanity they instead use it to do more evil in the world...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wow they won't need anyone to say "Nothing to see here folks move along"
Bit scary isnt it...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Maybe this means it can actually be done already and this is code for dropping a hint.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Wow!.....Is this actually real?

This is absolutely incredible if it is.

I might have to read this a few times for it to really sink in.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

This same thing was mentioned in another thread.

But, if we READ the article....this bit pops out:

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting).

40 picoseconds.......THINK about that, and put it into perspective, OK??
edit on Wed 4 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Totaly amazing........my tiny brain can't even get a grip on what this will enable humans to do to each other......if only they put it to good use? Mmmm me thinks not.....

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Edit: Okay they aren't talking real world events yet, but mostly events taking place in cyberspace?

I can't say that I full understand the applications yet?
edit on 4-1-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Interesting concept. But I don't put any stock in to Wired.com

After all, it was Wired that recently claimed Obama teleported to Mars twice since the age of 19.

I would rather waste my time watching Bill O'Reilly, than believe anything published by the weirdos at Wired.

Come on, are we really that bored as human beings that we have to make up the most outlandish stories just for some attention?

edit on 1/4/2012 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

According to Cornell scientists, it’d take a machine 18,600 miles long to produce a time mask that lasts a single second.

I think it will be a while before anyone actually sees this (or not) in action.
Amazing, nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessMatters
Interesting concept. But I don't put any stock in to Wired.com

After all, it was Wired that recently claimed Obama teleported to Mars twice since the age of 19.

I would rather waste my time watching Bill O'Reilly, than believe anything published by the weirdos at Wired.

Come on, are we really that bored as human beings that we have to make up the most outlandish stories just for some attention?

edit on 1/4/2012 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

Every major news outlet is reporting this. Foxnews, etc.

+32 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Thats the problem with some of you posters on ATS. Such a limited scope of reality.

The original Wright brothers flight only managed a couple of hundred meters BUT the fact that it could be done is what unlocked the imagination of the possible.

Do you think our space shuttle would be possible today if not for innovations in technology like that?

Lol i can just imagine your ancestors on the fields the day the wright bro's flew their plane a couple of hundred meters and saying " hahah it only flew a couple hundred meters, who cares about a machine that can only fly that short a distance."

Its sad you dont have the ability to see the massive potential for technological innovation that this break through highlights. But thats ok im sure dancing with the stars will be on soon. I hear its going to be a nail biter of an episode

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Son79

Every major news outlet is reporting this. Foxnews, etc.

Any News report I've seen on TV about it, mentioned Wired as the source. So, I rest my case.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Its sad you dont have the ability to see the massive potential for technological innovation that this break through highlights. But thats ok im sure dancing with the stars will be on soon. I hear its going to be a nail biter of an episode

LMAO

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknessMatters

No.. look around wired obviously isn't the only source for it, they are just reporting it.

Why is it so hard for you to believe. It's not really that mind blowing when you read it.
Give it about 50 or a 100 years and what they have done with the tech.. that will be mind blowing.

Also, Wired never said Obama went to Mars.. duh. They reported the story of two supposed "time travelers" that were telling the story and how it was denied. www.wired.com...
edit on 4-1-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknessMatters

How about this?

This is based entirely on relativistic effects, so...anyone still want to doubt the theory's accuracy?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join