It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"space balls" falling on Africa for years.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

A large metallic ball fell out of the sky on a remote grassland in Namibia, prompting baffled authorities to contact NASA and the European space agency.

Several such balls have dropped in southern Africa, Australia and Latin America in the past twenty years, authorities found in an Internet search.

So uh... wtf? It's not like they even matter that much technologically. They literally are hollow balls. Man made it seems. But why?

Just seems strange. Maybe left over parts of old space experiments finally falling from orbit.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Looks like a float from the back of a toilet! ha!

Seriously though, im sure they arnt dangerous but ive been rather happy so far with not having space junk fall on my head, so id rather it didnt start happening more!

However if its not obviously from a satalite or spaceship, just what the heck is it and how did it fall out of the sky?!

Weird, nice find

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Saw this earlier today too...

Curious...

With a diameter of 35 centimetres (14 inches), the ball has a rough surface and appears to consist of “two halves welded together”. It was made of a “metal alloy known to man” and weighed six kilogrammes (13 pounds), said Ludik.

Be interesting to find out what they are.

Source
edit on 22-12-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

Giant boob nipple gun? (for the family guy / star wars fans, lol)

But seriously though, we've thrown that much junk up there, I would say even the experts will take their time identifying it.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I imagine you are correct...about the take a long time to identify part. I'm not touching your other guess.

Wonder what a proper fee would be for trash balls in space. We all have to pay for trash in our cities now...so...ya know...biggie up ball dumper.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
it actually looks like a float on deep sea fishing nets, so how about this:

Broken net leaves floating balls in the sea, very large strom or cyclone at sea sucks it up and spits it out on land?

Just about the only non-space reason for it falling from the sky i can think of

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm wondering why no one has stopped by to tell us what it is yet. I'm kind of disappointed. This is interesting, I have no idea what it is. Space Junk?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

So uh... wtf? It's not like they even matter that much technologically. They literally are hollow balls. Man made it seems. But why?

NBA.

It's their international recruiting program, free space balls.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It was found 18 metres from its landing spot, a hole 33 centimetres deep and 3.8 meters wide.

Quite the little crater for a hollow ball, you would figure because it is hollow it's terminal velocity would be less.

I wonder why it wasn't shattered, what is it made out of?

"metal alloy known to man"

"Steel" or "Titanium" seems a lot easier to type. This is just plain weird.

Could it be something off of an aircraft, I don't know what that could be other than a ball-bearing of some kind.
edit on 22-12-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I would say that's plausible after reading this.

Residents stunned as hundreds of fish fall out of the sky over remote Australian desert town

Meterologists say the incident was probably caused by a tornado. It is common for tornados to suck up water and fish from rivers and drop them hundreds of miles away.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

I would say that's plausible after reading this.

Residents stunned as hundreds of fish fall out of the sky over remote Australian desert town

Jesus Freaks recruiting program, free fish.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Quite the little crater for a hollow ball, you would figure because it is hollow it's terminal velocity would be less.

That's because it was traveling at ludicrous speed.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
odd. I know all kinds of things have been reported falling from the sky. especially the ghost rockets in the early twentieth century. would be interesting to see what these are. you would think if they were designed for any purpose whatsoever they would have some internal workings but apparently not.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
it actually looks like a float on deep sea fishing nets, so how about this:

Broken net leaves floating balls in the sea, very large strom or cyclone at sea sucks it up and spits it out on land?

Just about the only non-space reason for it falling from the sky i can think of

I think you nailed it!

I just said in the other thread it's way to small for a buoy - but the float/net theory makes A LOT of sense!
This thing is hollow for a reason - and the most logical/obvious one is that it's supposed to float in water. I think you are spot on.

As for "whether it fell from the sky"...we don't know this..all we have is probably some report of someone saying "it fell from the sky"...which could also be total BS.

However, the theory of a storm/water spout picking this up is NOT so far fetched.
edit on 22-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Saw this earlier today too...

Curious...

With a diameter of 35 centimetres (14 inches), the ball has a rough surface and appears to consist of “two halves welded together”. It was made of a “metal alloy known to man” and weighed six kilogrammes (13 pounds), said Ludik.

Source
edit on 22-12-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure...

But could it be a Transformers testicle ???

More than meets the eye!!!
edit on 22-12-2011 by nawki because: added quote.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiju

Originally posted by RSF77

That's because it was traveling at ludicrous speed.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Test "subjects" sent from ourselves in the distant future after our science has developed a wormhole transportation device. They have typical earth composition because they are from Earth. Probably about 1000 years from now.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

edit on 22-12-2011 by chopperswolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

you mean 'four' years?
edit on 22-12-2011 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chopperswolf

edit on 22-12-2011 by chopperswolf because: (no reason given)

Choppers, did you realize that if you had nothing nice to say so you didn't say anything at all?
edit on 22-12-2011 by greyer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join