It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving Objects In Mars Rover Photos?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is space a dry place? Someone at NASA told me this was dust on the lens...

It's in every picture of the sun from that Stereo camera so it's definitely on the lens. This is one example of why NASA should have self cleaning lenses in case particles stick to the lens. No way to clean the lens manually so this speck is going to be there for the foreseeable future now.

I'd hope the vibration of the rover's camera is good enough to shake off any particles on the lenses, but I'd think NASA wouldn't take any chances and install something to maintain lens clarity.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Is space a dry place? Someone at NASA told me this was dust on the lens...

Yes space is dry but it's far more likely that what is seen in the stereo camera is not on the lens but inside the camera itself.

Yes, I see that's what you were told, not dust on the lens.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
More examples here:
stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Since the Mars Exploration Rovers far exceeded their planned lifespans, it seems no "self cleaning lenses" were required.
edit on 12/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I downloaded and blew up the image. It looks to have a turkey like beak and maybe appendages on the sides.

I looked at the perspective angle also as a consideration. However it appears to be very close to the objects on each side. To move that much it would have to be much farther behind. It would be interesting to see if any more pictures show the same shifts.

i39.tinypic.com...[/IMG]]Picture
edit on 21-12-2011 by xerleh because: Picture didnt upload correctly

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

More interesting(to me) the shiney object on the right moved too sorry the pics are kinda big

edit on 21-12-2011 by RARARAsputin because: order

edit on 21-12-2011 by RARARAsputin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I could look at these Mars Oddities all day,The Rock clearly does move but as usual one person in particular enters the thread and debunks it like his life depended on it.

Thats stranger in some ways than the obvious entities on Mars.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
that's definately strange. took me a while to see what you were talking about but I got it. that's a pretty good finding

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RARARAsputin

I think my OP's mysteries have been solved, for the most part, still don't know "for sure" what we're seeing in the sky and ground that appears to be dirt. It's probably dirt, but that's not the same as 100% definite, but a good 99%... unless these were taken on Earth, then we're seeing bugs.

The more I look and some of you guys look at these pics, the more weird things are popping up. The shiny dots may be white pixels, I've seen a bunch of them in the photos zoomed in. That guy Skipper from the Mars anomaly site said it's the result of JPEG manipulation. I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure.

The "Turkey turtle" rock thing was a perspective thing. It was further back at the bottom of a slope so it disappears in the 3rd photo's perspective. That one is solved 99.99%, I'd have to go there myself to make anything 100% in my mind.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Your probably right, I also noticed when I i turn up color saturation 100% the image goes blue, telling me there was a filter used somehwer along the line to mas the true color of the landscape, Also strange yellow squares appear around some of the rocks, showing photo manipulation. They can try to hide what they want, all they're doing is provingus right, they are hiding things form us. Hey nasa get someone who knows what there doing

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My newbie take, was the first images it's hard to get anything definitive, I agree with the RararaSputins post that the object in the sky...well there appears to be something in the sky.

But the little rock monsters, Well the big one that darts between the rocks for sure, it's not a trick of perspective. You could simulate that exact scene and there is now way to get the rock to go against the direction of viewangle, it's moving away from the rover in the dart to the left.

How does the rover take images, would their be unreleased images that fall between the two frames. I mean there seems to be a large break in the images. I'm not clued up on working that kinda thing out, but maybe someone has the knowledge.??

The rock monsters reminded me of lobsterites.( well... the mental image I created for them in the Stephen King Book Drawing of Three of the Dark Tower Series)
edit on 22-12-2011 by nawki because: Added relevant User name in reply

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I am going to say with the last 3 photo's how can anyone judge if that may be a life form all we have are earth like objects to compare it to. Thus people will say its a camera error bad angle etc. To me it looks like its an object that moved. I cant say its a life form I can say the object is in a different spot in the next image. It could be a rock that rolled it could be anything... I hate picture judgement and video as everything gets debunked.(almost)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The first pair of images were taken at exactly the same time, they are a stereo pair and the timestamp is contained in the file name. The first is from the left camera, the second from the right camera. It would appear to be a speck of dust on the lens.

The second pair of images were taken from different locations and are discussed here.

Did not realize this and I understand it thank you. I was a little lost on how a object could move like that. We could argue all day about objects, but that seams to work as it is a image farther to the right.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The first pair of images were taken at exactly the same time, they are a stereo pair and the timestamp is contained in the file name. The first is from the left camera, the second from the right camera. It would appear to be a speck of dust on the lens.

The second pair of images were taken from different locations and are discussed here.

Did not realize this and I understand it thank you. I was a little lost on how a object could move like that. We could argue all day about objects, but that seams to work as it is a image farther to the right.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

If we are lucky, hopefully we will find the Transformers hanging out around there! =D

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It looks to me like it could be dust on the lens for the first two pics.

As far as the three that follow, they are all taken at slightly different viewing angles and at differing distances, I think it is the exact same positioning of the things in the image, just a different angle of view and light level.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
After having a closer look at the three images and using a rock in about centre frame as reference, you can clearly see there is a change in elevation and angle, which when looking at the animation, gives the illusion the rock monster runs left, but alas, I think it's stationary and just to the left and back a little out of frame in 3rd Shot.

Looking at the original photo's too the cropping doesn't help give a clear depiction of relative position. Adds to the illusion..

Unfortunately...

No rock monsters... yet.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Take another look at the cracked rock as it's called.......at one end it has a tail or maybe a limb with a paddle on it and at the other end it has a face....first picture shows one eye and mouth area like a walrus, the second picture shows a front view of the face......and now it has two eyes and a full mouth area......what are the chances

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
hey guys, i was just looking at the pics on my phone and noticed that when i zoomed in i seen white dots throughout the picture (not pixels) anyway, i uploaded them to my comp and looked closer. in the first image i circled what i seen and the second image i cut out a piece and circled what could be life on mars?? the bottom red circle on the second image looks like a chipmunk or something... maybe its just my imagination

if anyone knows how to put these directly on the board, please feel free to do so. it would be appreciated.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Antz2xplicit
hey guys, i was just looking at the pics on my phone and noticed that when i zoomed in i seen white dots throughout the picture (not pixels) anyway, i uploaded them to my comp and looked closer. in the first image i circled what i seen and the second image i cut out a piece and circled what could be life on mars?? the bottom red circle on the second image looks like a chipmunk or something... maybe its just my imagination

if anyone knows how to put these directly on the board, please feel free to do so. it would be appreciated.

Dead pixels?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by RARARAsputin

The shiny dots may be white pixels, I've seen a bunch of them in the photos zoomed in. That guy Skipper from the Mars anomaly site said it's the result of JPEG manipulation.

This almost prompted me to lend a little tutorial about jpeg compression (illustrated), but unless I hear requests, it's not worth the time. I will however say it's not 'manipulation' its compression interpolation artifacts, and coupled with auto-server downgrade of the compressed image weird things show up if you happen to study jpeg images to the point you see individual pixels. Its what the compression does. It will value average in a grid, at a lower count of grayscale depending on the amount of compression used, or how much a web server forces. White dots can appear in areas that are a bit brighter but smaller than a pixel, thus the averaging. (Mac developed H-264 video compression encoding is more sophisticated).

In all .gov sites I get images from, the compression seems more severe than the pixel count would necessitate, so what normally appears are square areas, about 9 by 9 pixels square that form an array that is not there. Remote and motion shots, like from AF.mil, Navy.mil, and so on seem to have these patterns when the pixel count would allow for smooth gradations, that's the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG, extension jpg) compression (developed as the web standard around 1992) that compresses 38 MB files to about 2 for download on average, much more than zipping a file of the same pixel count. I learned a trick around 92 to get a digital art created file that was 69 MB on to a floppy disc, yes under 1.6 MB.

Camera still shots don't have as much noise as motion or remote transfer ones, the transfer can also add noise in the reception of the data transmitted.

Do people think there really are bugs and creatures on Mars? What would they eat? Iron oxide? Silicate? Would they drink gasoline? Get serious. Not a carbon based life form does that.

BTW the dark spots on one of the two stereo cameras should prove it was dust, Mars is in perpetual dust. It must suck to live there.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join